• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimbo2
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Bendigo

Damage from contaminated fuel

A lot of people are fitting second fuel filters to prevent damage from contaminated fuel. If you own a Parado this is a real risk.
    What I haven't seen is reports of Pajero's suffering damage from contaminated fuel.
    So to get a sense of how serious the problem is could people who have had damage, or even just failed to progress reply to this post and say what happened.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Jim
    2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Jim

Water and dirt have a detrimental impact on CRD.

A dose of bad fuel is uncommon from new tanks with high turn over of fuel.

What is common is fuel with particles bigger than 3 microns. Parker Racor recommend filtration standard of 3 microns at 95% efficiency. This should add life to both your injectors and fuel pump. Particles are abrasive to your fuel system.

What is catastrophic is dirty fuel inclusive of water.
    A second filter provides better filtration for both particles and water. When fitted as a secondary filter your primary filter should provide a trap for both water and dirt and provide some assurance that you are warned via indicator light that something is wrong before entering your injectors and pump.

Good filtration efficiency assumes regular maintenance ie regular filter changes and drainage of water from primary and secondary filters.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Rovingman
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2014
      • Blue mountains

It's Very cheap insurance JUST in case you come across a dirty batch in the out back or even in the city! $120 or $10,000 for engine fix.
      Pajero NT RX 2011
      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Jimbo2
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2012
        • Bendigo

Yes I agree, its good insurance, and makes sense to install an extra filter. What I am looking for though is some people who have experienced this problem.
        2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Jimbo2 View Post
          Yes I agree, its good insurance, and makes sense to install an extra filter. What I am looking for though is some people who have experienced this problem.
          Get on the prado site. Dozens of them. I had mine installed as a result of being on various forums and also hearing from people who actually had issues with bad fuel stuffing their injectors/pumps. Prevention is better than cur.
          The other issue is that diesel also absorbs water. I try and maintain a relatively high tank level when ever possible, without chasing every fuel pump I see.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jimbo2
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2012
            • Bendigo

Yes the Parados have a real issue with this problem, but I haven't heard of Patrol or Pajero owners actually having engine damage from contaminated fuel, just curious as to the real extent of the problem in non Parados.

Comment

• Rovingman
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2014
              • Blue mountains

I have read nearly every post on this forum and i have not come across a forum member having an engine issue with contaminated diesel.
              Pajero NT RX 2011
              Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
              LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Brothers patrol is currently in getting a new motor and pump courtesy of contaminated fuel ( fuel company is paying) and it was from a high volume site , someone unscrewed a fill point in the pouring rain and let water into the underground tank ( cc TV shows it was mailicious action and not by the site or staff) and a number of vehicles were damaged. He got about 2 k down the road and was parked with a number of anther vehicles who had the same problem.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Goodsy
                  Who ya gunna call....
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Hervey Bay

This event made the news about a month ago (maybe less). Was it that one?
                  Cars and 4x4's all on the side of the road on the highway a few k's from the servo.
                  .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                  NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

At least one thread on here from the UAE regarding contaminated fuel.
                    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• cookie9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Central Coast NSW

How effective is the stock filter at protecting from water and contamination? Other brands seem to have water traps you can drain but not the challenger.

I'm considering getting a good 2nd filter as when I got some warranty work done last week the service manager stated up front that if it looks like bad fuel is the problem then warranty is not valid.
                      2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• Onslow
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Perth, Western Australia

I've experienced four fill-ups from a country petrol station that have had enough dirt to destroy the transfer pump on my auxiliary tank and fill the in-line filter with crud. Any dirt that managed to get through is now in my OEM filter which is due to be changed in the next few weeks. I'm glad I have the secondary Fuel Manager filter system in place - definitely piece of mind.

I have a friend who experienced his engine shut down after filling up in the metro area. On checking his fuel system he found that he'd picked up a tank full of rubbish which clogged his OEM filter and cut off the fuel supply. Luckily he also had a secondary filter which stopped anything reaching his injectors. This was on a 200 Series, but the picture is the same with any CRD engine.

A while back there were plenty of cases mentioned on Exploroz, might be there if you do a search. As you say, not many Pajero's, but I reckon I came close.
                        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• schnitzel
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Bendigo

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                          This event made the news about a month ago (maybe less). Was it that one?
                          Cars and 4x4's all on the side of the road on the highway a few k's from the servo.
                          No is a different one, that was in Sydney, this one was in melbourne and got about 20 cars,the site shut everything down really quickly once they got the first report back and as it was malicious damage by a third party I won't name and shame because it wasn't there fault but the fuel company is wearing the repairs.
                          Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Jimbo2
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • Bendigo

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                            At least one thread on here from the UAE regarding contaminated fuel.
                            http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=19430
                            Hmm a bad result, but not the complete train wreck of a Parado contamination. It must have got a huge dose of water and dirt. A second filter would have been a cheaper solution in this case. Thanks Steve for our first confirmed.

Comment

• Jimbo2
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2012
                              • Bendigo

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
                              I have read nearly every post on this forum and i have not come across a forum member having an engine issue with contaminated diesel.
                              Thanks Rovingman, this confirms my belief that the Pajero system is more tolerant than some of the others, that said it appears its still a great idea to have the 2nd filter, especially if in remote areas where failing to proceed is a lot more than an inconvenience.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X