• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

I'd strongly suggest reading negative comments regarding vehicles which aren't Toyota or Nissan on most 4WD forums with a healthy dose of scepticism. Tribalism is alive and well in the 4WD community, and frankly some of the Toyo and Patrol boys have views that are best ignored.

The reason you won't find a great deal of problems reported regarding the Pajero is that it's a well thought out, suitable for purpose vehicle, which doesn't suffer from many issues. They are a comfortable and reliable daily driver, and with the appropriate suspension mods are also a decent tow tug and weekend off-roader.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• bennyb29
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2015
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Is a Pajero a hard-core off-road weapon that will keep up with Land Cruisers and Patrols everywhere? No, it's not. Is it the ultimate outback touring machine? No, it's not. But it has the capability to perform very well in both scenarios - with the right driver, capable of recognising the right lines, and driving to the vehicle's strengths (e.g. ample power/torque, good traction control, good clearance under diffs) and weaknesses (e.g. less clearance under side steps / door sills / rear sand scoop).

But it is a much more capable off-road vehicle than the average Nissota driver will ever realise, and can regularly drive with ease tracks that Nissota drivers consider hard core.
      The rear sand scoop has been blown out of proportion, more so thanks to a certain youtuber from South Africa.

For those who think the Pajero is not overland capable, i just point them in the direction of this thread/link who is a fellow member on this forum.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Occasionally somebody will join this forum and tell us all about some "common fault" that their mechanic has told them about, and it's often news to us. This is probably the biggest Pajero forum on the internet, which has been running in various guises since about the year 2000, so if we don't know about it, it's not really "common".
      Agree about this forum.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• ActionDan
        • Apr 2019
        • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Merts View Post
        I'd strongly suggest reading negative comments regarding vehicles which aren't Toyota or Nissan on most 4WD forums with a healthy dose of scepticism. Tribalism is alive and well in the 4WD community, and frankly some of the Toyo and Patrol boys have views that are best ignored.

The reason you won't find a great deal of problems reported regarding the Pajero is that it's a well thought out, suitable for purpose vehicle, which doesn't suffer from many issues. They are a comfortable and reliable daily driver, and with the appropriate suspension mods are also a decent tow tug and weekend off-roader.
        The more I read and discuss, the more I think this also.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
          The rear sand scoop has been blown out of proportion, more so thanks to a certain youtuber from South Africa.
          I don't disagree - I was struggling to think of some "weaknesses".
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nab
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Perth

I have had Patrols and a Pajero, the patrol eats the Pajero in hard core 4x4ing, namely the clearance and wheel travel over rocks etc. and better on the corrugations. General 4x4ing(beach, bush tracks etc) and everyday driving the Pajero was hands down a much better vehicle.

I think you are overthinking this, if you want to go hardcore off-roading it is hard to go past the Patrol and Landcruiser for strength, capability and spare part availability. If not going hardcore 4x4ing any of the current 4x4s on the market will be capable of what you ask of it. Just choose one that you like the most, is most comfortable and fits your budget.
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• ActionDan
              • Apr 2019
              • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              I have had Patrols and a Pajero, the patrol eats the Pajero in hard core 4x4ing, namely the clearance and wheel travel over rocks etc. and better on the corrugations. General 4x4ing(beach, bush tracks etc) and everyday driving the Pajero was hands down a much better vehicle.

I think you are overthinking this, if you want to go hardcore off-roading it is hard to go past the Patrol and Landcruiser for strength, capability and spare part availability. If not going hardcore 4x4ing any of the current 4x4s on the market will be capable of what you ask of it. Just choose one that you like the most, is most comfortable and fits your budget.
              Appreciate it, the forum posts were also about flushing out common faults in candidates, which has revealed some alarming info and has certainly helped colour my expectations.

Certainly not taking up 4wd'ing as a hobby, bush tracks, camping/exploring, and property work only.

Patrols in this price range are horrible beasties, I would actually go a 100 series over a GU.

Comment

• Zandit75
                • May 2019
                • Penguin, TAS

I'm not sure if you've come across this video comparison. Seems pretty cut and dried.
                We've assembled five intriguing off-road SUVs to see how each stacks up at a certain price point. They are the Ford Everest Ambiente, Isuzu MU-X LS-M, Mitsub...

Comment

• ron2503
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Alex Hills

Originally posted by Zandit75 View Post
                  I'm not sure if you've come across this video comparison. Seems pretty cut and dried.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxmaSfbIck
                  There was also a comparison done in 2016 between the PS and the NX Pajero by Which Car asking the question "Is the PS a real replacement for the Pajero?".

If and when Mitsubishi retires its Pajero, the Pajero Sport will be left to look after Mitsubishi’s fortunes in the 4x4 wagon market. Is it up to the job?
                  Last edited by ron2503; 25-05-19, 04:41 PM.
                  2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                  Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                  Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• ActionDan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Zandit75 View Post
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxmaSfbIck
                    Did see, but have since moved away from those options.

Originally posted by ron2503 View Post
                    There was also a comparison done in 2016 between the PS and the NX Pajero by Which Car asking the question "Is the PS a real replacement for the Pajero?".

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...i-pajero-sport
                    Yep saw that one too, was a very light comparison but alas, nothing beats driving back to back yourself I guess.

Comment

• bennyb29
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by ActionDan View Post
                      Yep saw that one too, was a very light comparison but alas, nothing beats driving back to back yourself I guess.

Any updates on your purchase?
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• ActionDan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Yackandandah

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
                        Any updates on your purchase?
                        Hoping to get out to some dealerships this weekend, babysitter permitting as it's hard to test drive with 2 kids needing car seats 0_0 Hoping to test drive Paj, Fortuner, and another Prado for comparison.

Have just seen my new work contract and the car allowance is decent so now I need to work out if I buy the car outright myself or if I finance (chattel mortgage) something. Would still stick roughly to my budget either way,

Will discuss with accountant.

In short(ish) my current views are;

Paj: Best bang for buck, seems most reliable of all three on paper. A little noisy, dated, basic inside. Rear swinging door
                        Prado: 2.8 seems to have less issue with timing chains due to addition of balance shaft, DPF and air filter still needs to be addressed. Most expensive option if comparing k's, or end up with higher k's model. People argue they handle the best but I found them a bit floaty/wallowy. Bonus: Can be had in petrol so no diesel issues at all but heavier on fuel and "wants" 95, I say wants as people have run them happily on 91. Rear swinging door 3L TD versions put holes in pistons due to injector issues so would need to plan for the 3-4k in replacements. Apparently a scangauge shows injector values going out of spec before it happens...
                        Fortuner: Possibly the nicest to drive of the lot for me, big questions over the 2.8L engine reliability with known timing chain and DPF issues plus dust past filters. Split tailgate a big bonus.

I realise Prado can be had with split tailgate too, but rare and I'm not buying new.

I pretty much have analysis paralysis

Comment

• RUGGA
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2014
                          • Adelaide

I pretty much have analysis paralysis
                          You need to change your forum user name
                          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• ActionDan
                            • Apr 2019
                            • Yackandandah

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
                            You need to change your forum user name
                            It's ironic isn't it...

The nickname came from my younger days, full impulse decision making, go with gut or whatever.

As I've gotten older (and been burned so many times) I've become NoActionDan lol

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Prado: People argue they handle the best.
                              Really? Who? Where?

In my opinion (and limited experience, from 2012), Prado was undeniably smoother and quieter than Pajero, which I put down to the Lexus heritage. But I'm still amazed by how well my large, heavy, lifted NT handles the Adelaide hills. Sure its no sports car, but I'm generally being the one held up by others. A live axle Prado, with its famous "supple, long travel suspension" (i.e. soft) handle better?
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Greater Sydney

I drove my mates Prado once. Reminded me of taking the Manly ferry across to Sydney with a big swell coming through Sydney Heads as a teenager.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X