• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rc211e
    • Oct 2013
    • NSW

Trouble removing PC RH front axle to change oil seal

Has anyone successfully removed the RH front axle without the diff housing being fully removed from the vehicle? The axle fouls on the chassis when you withdraw it approx 3 inches out of the housing.
    MY14 Challenger, manual, Dobinson 40mm lift,Peddars 5899 cones , all terrain BFs, front E-locker and factory rear locker XROX bar and side steps, Bushskinz, Hayman Reece towbar, rear fridge slide and ORS aluminium drawer. Samsung tablet with external GPS for navigation. CB radio. Redarc electric brake controller. .
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

PM sent.

The procedure I've seen requires the Steering Knuckle to be separated from the Upper Control Arm (ie Upper Ball Joint) so the hub assembly can be lowered and the CV removed.
    The diff isn't touched.
    Last edited by Kingbrown; 11-01-19, 08:43 AM.
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• rc211e
      • Oct 2013
      • NSW

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
      PM sent.

The procedure I've seen requires the Steering Knuckle to be separated from the Upper Control Arm (ie Upper Ball Joint) so the hub assembly can be lowered and the CV removed.
      The diff isn't touched.
      Thank you, Have replied to your PM
      MY14 Challenger, manual, Dobinson 40mm lift,Peddars 5899 cones , all terrain BFs, front E-locker and factory rear locker XROX bar and side steps, Bushskinz, Hayman Reece towbar, rear fridge slide and ORS aluminium drawer. Samsung tablet with external GPS for navigation. CB radio. Redarc electric brake controller. .

Comment

• rc211e
        • Oct 2013
        • NSW

Thanks for your help Kingbrown. My problem is the oil seal on the inner axle shaft, has anyone removed the RH inner axle shaft - the one that the CV shaft bolts onto...?

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

I had the left hand side pop out once when I was changing a front strut.
          Upper Contorl Arm was unbolted from steering knuckle and the lower strut mount was removed. I was flexing the LCA and the steering knuckle downwards, against the resistance of the sway bar and the Driveshaft popped out of the diff housing.

Thinking more about it, this method may work.
          1. Remove the front sway bar.
          2. Remove UCA to steering knuckle bolts, there are 3 bolts, you must keep these separate as they are High Tensile but are the same size as the low tensile bolts used to secure the brake lines and ABS wiring which also need to be removed and can be easily mixed up. Tie the UCA up out of the way.
          3. Remove the lower strut mount bolt.
          4. There may be enough downward travel in the LCA for the driveshaft to come out of the diff, be careful of the brake line and ABS wiring. If not you could remove the LCA where it attaches to the chassis mounts, and this should allow the LCA and wheel hub assembly to be moved away from the car. This way you would not need to remove ball joints or the driveshaft nut.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

Looking at the online manual here:

Section 26. RH side (flanged) is held in by a circlip, just like the LH side.

Attachment to the flange of something akin to a slide hammer should see the flanged part pop out, upon which you'll be able to access the seal.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X