• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angus4032
    • Feb 2012
    • Perth, WA

Dual Battery Install with RedArc BCDC charger

Hey everyone just wanted to post some photos of my dual battery installation on my NW Pajeroni.
    • Redarc BCDC1225D charger (redarc no longer stock the LV model charger - this model has replaced it).
    • Starter cabling wired from aux battery to solenoid for emergency starts if the main cranking battery fails.
    • Installed a second ciggie plug in the boot on the LHS then piggy backed power across to the stock ciggie plug on the right
    • Installed volt meter in the boot below stock ciggie plug on the RHS which includes 2x USB sockets.
    • Installed spare power lead into the front where i can plug my CB radio into in the future.
    • Installed push button main battery override button for E-starts beside the traction control button under steering wheel.
    • Anderson plug installed under bonnet for solar panel.
    • Fuses for the 2x ciggie plugs in the boot, fuse for the spare power lead for CB radio, and fuse for the override button. 2x large fuses for the BCDC. Circuit breaker for the Anderson plug at the tow hitch. All installed on the mounting plate for the BCDC.

Photos of the plugs in the boot and the spare still to come. Not that they are much to look at but still, i'll upload anyway. Would love to lay claim to the handy work but I can't. I had it done here in Perth at Nedlands Auto Electrics, told Brendon what I wanted and he delivered. Neat and tidy job. Very happy. Can't wait to run the fridge without it switching off with the car now.
    Attached Files
  • spiderpig
    • Jan 2008

Out of interest, can the redarc BCDC charger be used in place of the old school method of putting in a dual battery isolator?

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I had an Anderson fitted on the front too. Very handy for solar power to the aux battery and also to connect the air compressor and 12v rattle gun when I change wheels. Mine's in a protective case as you can see from the photo. Saves opening the hood all the time.
      Attached Files
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Paul (SA)
        • Apr 2013
        • Australia

Nice setup. What size battery are you running? Was it difficult getting the charger into the position it is in?

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

Where is the charger mounted?
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• aaron.miller
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Epping, NSW

Keep an eye on voltages and if u can amps, I suspect that in summer the bcdc will overheat and reduce or stop charging in that position. When it starts to get hot the amps it outputs reduces.
            2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• Angus4032
              • Feb 2012
              • Perth, WA

to answer some of your queries:
              • spiderpig - simple answer is yes, the bcdc will act as an isolator so you don't need the old skool any more. I previously had one on there and we kept it to be used soley as a solenoid for the starter battery override button.
              • Paul (SA) - I'm running a 102 Ah aux battery, i think from memory its an "N70", we fitted everything to the mounting plate then removed the stater battery (the one against the firewall) to make it a bit easier to install the mount plate then put the battery back in. Wasn't too much trouble.
              • 0415discog - the charger is mounted up the back of the engine bay adjacent to the starter battery, take a look at the pictures.You should be able to see it on the left of the starter batt. The fact that you can't tell its there actually makes me happy haha.
              • Cheers for the heads up regarding heat. I'll keep an eye on it. I've seen others on this forum mounting theirs in similar locations adjacent to the battery bank and they haven't reported any dramas.

Comment

• Wicks747
                • Oct 2014
                • Alice Springs

Yes had this discussion with a couple of arb techs round a camp fire the other night and they mentioned they had run into over heating issues. There solution was to mount in on a bracket infront of the radiator
                Sold 2004 PA Challenger
                Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

More details on charger location in this recent thread...

2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Angus4032
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Perth, WA

straight from redarc's trouble shooting:
                    "The REDARC BCDC 3 stage battery chargers will work to full capacity up to 55degC ambient temperatures, then start to de-rate (reduce the charge rate) up to a maximum of 80degC, with the current reducing to zero at around 85degC. This is to protect the internal electronics of the BCDC and to provide some protection to the battery, because charging at high temperatures can risk damaging some types of batteries."

It goes on to say behind the headlights, on the inner guard or between the front grille and radiator are spots they'd recommend and they wouldn't recommend mounting it right next to the turbo .

However, in the thick of summer 40+degC day. Chances are any of these spots will also be above 55degC, not saying it makes no difference. I agree behind the grille would be the "coolest" spot for it.

Call me crazy if you want, but I still wanted it there for easy access if need be and I can always move it if there's a problem but TBH i far rather get away in the cooler months than the scorching heat of summer. So for the times I need it most, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Comment

• spiderpig
                      • Jan 2008

You could always use one of these with the probe mounted near it to keep an eye on what the engine bay temps are doing in that area,

Comment

• reciprovac
                        • Jan 2011
                        • broadford Victoria, Australia

bc/dc charger

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
                        Out of interest, can the redarc BCDC charger be used in place of the old school method of putting in a dual battery isolator?
                        If you have a NW with a smart alternator nothing but a BC/DC charger will raise your second battery to full voltage.
                        I tried an isolator and only 11 volts could be achieved in the second battery,installed the readarc-14 volts.
                        2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                        Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• Mike DiD
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
                          . . . I tried an isolator and only 11 volts could be achieved in the second battery . . . . .
                          Then there was something seriously wrong with the Isolator installation - which should have been fixed.

I've been charging batteries in the rear of the NX with Smart Alternator with no problems. The battery NEVER drops below 13 volts.

Maybe there were problems with the NW Smart Alternator - being the first implementation - that were fixed in the NX, just like the early NS DPF Implementations were terrible, then improved to only be "bad".
                          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Shoey
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Millicent

Ours is mounted on the aux battery bracket like Angus 4032 and we have done 2 trips to the top end in july/august and have had no trouble.

Cheer's shoey.

Comment

• pauld
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                              Then there was something seriously wrong with the Isolator installation - which should have been fixed.

I've been charging batteries in the rear of the NX with Smart Alternator with no problems. The battery NEVER drops below 13 volts.

Maybe there were problems with the NW Smart Alternator - being the first implementation - that were fixed in the NX, just like the early NS DPF Implementations were terrible, then improved to only be "bad".
                              I’m pretty sure that is correct - NW v NX alternators behave very differently
                              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X