• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signo1985
    • Sep 2017
    • Perth

First 4wd.....first pajero?

Hi guys,
    i am new to the forum so please be nice lol.

I am looking at buying my first 4wd and the only car left on the list is....the pajero of course.
    I was looking at prados as well but they just to expensive and for the same price I can get a way younger paj!
    So here I am!
    Budget is 30k and max 150k km, even if the cheaper the better of course.
    The use will be (besides drivin to work shopping kids to school etc) beach driving and some off road but nothing hard core....i come from europe and i just wanna explore this beautiful country and being able to do it with my family but i am not into extreme 4wding

This leads to 2 main questions.
    1- NW or NX?
    I know that NX atm cost more than 30k, but few 2014 and 2015 models are available in the low 30k mark...so is worth the extra effort or besides few ahestetical changes are they exactly the same?
    Another improtant thing to consider is I won't be able to buy it this year since our first bub just arrived in the family and dont' really know what to expect with the extra expenses plus my wife is on leave, so maybe middle next year the nx will start to come down a bit more?

2- If youse reckon the nx has nothing more than the nw, well then which nw model?
    A must is rear aircon. Then every model seems to have rear camera (which is another must), and the diff lock would be cool too, but this can be isntalled after market as well so...

There are so many different ones, glx,activ, gls, glxr platinum and platinum II, vrx....too much confusion. The only one i can exclude is the activ beause of the nudge bar, but thats about it.
    I had a look online but even on the mitsi website theres nothing about the nw anymore now is just nx (which is so much easier, 3 models and full stop).
    I also "lurked" a lat in the past months but this has only got me more confused.

could anyone shed some light on all of these different models and help me out?

Thanks guys!
    Really looking forward to joining you off the beaten track soon!!
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Nw vrx (my14) std rear diff lock rear aircon and 7" screen with reverse camera. Or nx gls would be my pick

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

Welcome mate.
      My 2012 NW GLS came with rear air con, reverse camera, rear parking sensors. It had no rear diff lock and no heated seats. I think some GLS owners do have the diff lock though so maybe it was an option? Also the GLS has the standard audio system as opposed to the touch screen MMCS which from what I have read is crap.
      I know what you mean though, the NW range is ridiculous. So many variants with so many options etc. My advice would be look at cars for sale above the active spec and just
      Good luck
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• matt73nw
        • Dec 2015
        • Sydney

Hi Signo

My 2013 NW GLX-R (MY14 I think) has rear aircon, reversing camera in the rear view mirror and rear diff lock as standard. Also non-MMCS audio.

Matt

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by matt73nw View Post
          Hi Signo

My 2013 NW GLX-R (MY14 I think) has rear aircon, reversing camera in the rear view mirror and rear diff lock as standard. Also non-MMCS audio.

Matt

My 2012 (MY13) NW GLX-R Pajero has the same gear. Plus mudflaps and side steps aswell -excellent value in my opinion.

Comment

• signo1985
            • Sep 2017
            • Perth

First of all thanks for your reply, and sorry if it took me so long to "come back" but i have been painting the whole living and dining area lol

Ok so i'd say the picture is a bit clearer now.
            From the list of the nw models I will esclude the active beacuse of the bar as said before, the gl (too basic) and the exceed (too expensive).
            I am also excluding the vrx because of the 18inch alloy wheels.

We have left glx, glxr, gls, and platinum.
            Glx and glxr are the same apart from the rear diff lock, i can't really find info on the glx in regards to rear aircon...does it have it or not?
            If not...it means another one down.

So gls and glx-r. Now main differences....again the rear diff lock....what else?
            I know (can see) that the gls has chrome side mirrors and chrome front grill (which i like a lot), but i cant really buy a car depending whether the the bar is black or chrome.
            Am i missing anything else?

In all this....where the heck does the platinum sit????

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Link below to 2011 NW brochure.....if it doesn't work just google pajero NW brouchure mate.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Link to NW Platinum below. Based on GLX with a few goodiess.

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Link to 2013 NW brouchure.

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

As you can see models and spec also depend on year models mate.

NW came out in 2011 through to 2014 originally with GL, GLX, GLS, VRX and Exceed. The Platinum came out 2011 and Platinum 2 in 2012 with rear air as standard and rear diff lock option.

In 2013 they changed the model line dropping GL and GLS but keeping VRX and Exceed. GLX became base model and GLX-R replaced GLS. 2013 models have rear diff lock as standard but have a look at the brouchures above for further details. Link to this revamp on model line up below.

2015 brought the NX model with spec levels GLX, GLS and Exceed. All NX have 18" wheels as standard for info.

As you said on what you want in the car......rear air, diff lock, no 18" wheels and budget of $30000.

Looking at Carsales i'd be looking at a 2013/14 GLX-R. Quite a few on there between $25000 upto $41000 depending on kms, extras etc. Theres a couple of Platinums in your price range with a couple having the optional read diff lock fitted too.

Just my thoughts mate but based on your wants.
                    Last edited by aussieintas; 29-09-17, 08:53 AM.

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• JoeMcDermott
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                      I am also excluding the vrx because of the 18inch alloy wheels.
                      Without wanting to confuse things further, I’d suggest that you leave the VRX on the possibles list. Tyres are improving all the time and the simple fact of 18 inch wheels shouldn’t cause you too much of a problem if you find a good VRX at the right price.

These days the biggest issue with going up to 18 inch wheels is that the tyres will cost a few bucks more, but as this is the direction all vehicles seem to be moving in, the market will soon enough catch up.

You get a bit more fruit with the VRX as well.
                      2014 NW with OL bar, 9,500lb winch, Bushskinz, TJM dual battery kit, UHF, Outback drawers, ARB compressor, MSA fridge slide with Evakool fridge, 55mm lift and rear airbags, water tank and pump.

Comment

• signo1985
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Perth

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                        As you can see models and spec also depend on year models mate.

NW came out in 2011 through to 2014 originally with GL, GLX, GLS, VRX and Exceed. The Platinum came out 2011 and Platinum 2 in 2012 with rear air as standard and rear diff lock option.

In 2013 they changed the model line dropping GL and GLS but keeping VRX and Exceed. GLX became base model and GLX-R replaced GLS. 2013 models have rear diff lock as standard but have a look at the brouchures above for further details. Link to this revamp on model line up below.

2015 brought the NX model with spec levels GLX, GLS and Exceed. All NX have 18" wheels as standard for info.

As you said on what you want in the car......rear air, diff lock, no 18" wheels and budget of $30000.

Looking at Carsales i'd be looking at a 2013/14 GLX-R. Quite a few on there between $25000 upto $41000 depending on kms, extras etc. Theres a couple of Platinums in your price range with a couple having the optional read diff lock fitted too.

Just my thoughts mate but based on your wants.
                        Cheers mate you have been brilliant I couldnt find these brouchures otherwise i could have answered my one questions.
                        For what I can see, which is what you basically said, best all-around model considering the price is the glx-r my13 or my14.
                        I get rear aircon, rear diff lock, 7 seats (which i wouldnt use daily but when relatives come to visit us from Eu will come in handy).
                        Gls has more or less same fruit but the diff lock...could be an alterantive.
                        Otherwise platinums or vrx a step up from glx-r...but so it's the price.

Originally posted by JoeMcDermott View Post
                        Without wanting to confuse things further, I’d suggest that you leave the VRX on the possibles list. Tyres are improving all the time and the simple fact of 18 inch wheels shouldn’t cause you too much of a problem if you find a good VRX at the right price.

These days the biggest issue with going up to 18 inch wheels is that the tyres will cost a few bucks more, but as this is the direction all vehicles seem to be moving in, the market will soon enough catch up.

You get a bit more fruit with the VRX as well.
                        Yeah I know what you mean...I'll see when the time comes...as you said was mainly tyres cost related.

Thank you very much guys....now i have a clearer picture
                        Can't wait to get one next year

Comment

• signo1985
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Perth

Hi guys, me again.
                          Second bub coming so i really need to make a decision now!

I wa settled on the 2013 nw glx-r , but for just over 30k I can now see quite a few 2015 nx glx.

Could you please confirm the main differences between the two?

17" vs 18" inch alloy
                          both with rear diff lock
                          both 7 seats
                          both have multi zone/rear aircon
                          looking at the photos on carsales the nx glx should have the Mitsubishi Multi Communication System (good or bad or useless? Some rate this as cr@p).
                          both have reverse camera (in rear mirror for the glx-r, should be on screen in the nx glx)
                          both don't have dpf
                          boh dont have hid but standard halogen, so bullbar wise = same

few ahestetical improvmentes on the nx over the nw

Anything else that you can think of?

So the question is, is it worth it....or am i better of saving those 2k?

The only thing that is stopping me from getting the nx is those stupid 18" wheels.
                          i live in perth and 90% of the 4wding i will be doing is beach/sand driving where being able to drop more air is a must).
                          really undecided

Comment

• linc
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Perth

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                            Hi guys, me again.
                            Second bub coming so i really need to make a decision now!

I wa settled on the 2013 nw glx-r , but for just over 30k I can now see quite a few 2015 nx glx.

Could you please confirm the main differences between the two?

17" vs 18" inch alloy
                            both with rear diff lock
                            both 7 seats
                            both have multi zone/rear aircon
                            looking at the photos on carsales the nx glx should have the Mitsubishi Multi Communication System (good or bad or useless? Some rate this as cr@p).
                            both have reverse camera (in rear mirror for the glx-r, should be on screen in the nx glx)
                            both don't have dpf
                            boh dont have hid but standard halogen, so bullbar wise = same

few ahestetical improvmentes on the nx over the nw

Anything else that you can think of?

So the question is, is it worth it....or am i better of saving those 2k?

The only thing that is stopping me from getting the nx is those stupid 18" wheels.
                            i live in perth and 90% of the 4wding i will be doing is beach/sand driving where being able to drop more air is a must).
                            really undecided
                            Get the slightly cheaper one, and spend the extra savings on a 2" lift -- the best mod you can do, IMO. Especially on soft WA beach sand ....
                            I have the NW GLX-R and it's been great. You can plug a bank of USBs (in a small switched hub -- i have 3 x 64Gb thumb drives loaded with tunes) into the socket in the glove box, and the 'basic' (ie, non MMCS) head unit works fine with that. Mirror reversing is more than adequate.
                            Other than that, I guess you're looking slightly less in terms of resale value on the NW (vs NX), but if you plan on keeping for more than 5 years then it becomes moot anyway.
                            Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                            Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                            Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• aussieintas
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Sorell, Tasmania

I agree with linc......If it was me I would pick the NW glx-r and spend the $'s saved on perhaps some other goodies you may want.....lift, bullbar, winch etc etc.

Putting a spanner in works you could get the NX and hope to find some second hand 17" wheels

Previously
                              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...