• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boostboost
    • Jul 2016
    • Sydney

Originally posted by Benduro View Post
    Definitely worth checking the VIN as some of the vehicles advertised by dealers as MY16s are actually MY17 vehicles (with DPF/changed ratios).

2016 VIN reads: JA#######G####### ('G' indicates MY'16)

2017 VIN reads: JA#######H####### ('H' indicates MY'17)

My search for an actual MY'16 continues.
    This is exactly what I encountered when I was looking for my NX. Gotta be careful.

Comment

• Bobsi7
      • Oct 2012
      • BRISBANE

Dpf

What is a DPF ????

Comment

• zoom
        • Apr 2017
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Bobsi7 View Post
        What is a DPF ????

Its a 3 second GOOGLE search

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Bobsi7 View Post
          What is a DPF ????
          Diesel Particulate Filter.

I am happy to be corrected but as I understand it, the DPF is not a filter like an oil or air filter but a section in the exhaust system where the diesel particulates are collected and where, on some periodic cycle, fuel is injected to burn out the particulates. The earliest versions of these were problematic but the latest ones are supposed to be ok now. Arguably they reduced fuel economy but I can't see it being significant. Not sure if they affect performance. Perhaps someone with an MY17 vehicle can comment further?

Comment

• blgobg
            • Aug 2017
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
            Diesel Particulate Filter.

I am happy to be corrected but as I understand it, the DPF is not a filter like an oil or air filter but a section in the exhaust system where the diesel particulates are collected and where, on some periodic cycle, fuel is injected to burn out the particulates. The earliest versions of these were problematic but the latest ones are supposed to be ok now. Arguably they reduced fuel economy but I can't see it being significant. Not sure if they affect performance. Perhaps someone with an MY17 vehicle can comment further?
            Worth a watch.

Then add another hour onto the video time due to clicking on related videos and ending up watching footy GF highlights or something totally unrelated.
            NX GLS MY17 - Munji EGR mod, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Scanguage II, Provent 200 Catch Can

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Great video Blgobg, thanks.

Comment

• blgobg
                • Aug 2017
                • Melbourne

Another video on DPF just released on youtube for those interested

NX GLS MY17 - Munji EGR mod, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Scanguage II, Provent 200 Catch Can

Comment

• Stoneman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by blgobg View Post

https://youtu.be/-bOlDFFhuPM
                  That’s exactly what I found

It’s an added system but unfortunately intergrated into,.. well at least the DENSO ECU
                  NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Mundy55
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Gold Coast

Originally posted by blgobg View Post

https://youtu.be/-bOlDFFhuPM
                    Loved the video, although its a bit long! Couldn't stop laughing. Glad I don't have a DPF.

Comment

• DrewXT
                      • Mar 2014
                      • Melbourne

John Cadogan is a knob. I don't think I've watched too many videos of his that put a positive spin on anything.

I've got 2 DPF'd non-toyotas, and no issues in 100,000 in each. Mates with same vehicles with 400,000+ on them, still on the original DPF.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

I do think Cadogan has a "love him or hate him" delivery style. Given his videos are generally responding to problems and pitfalls, they will always have a strong negative feel in parts. However, for example, his review of 7 seater SUVs has 3 categories, the last of which is recommended vehicles and this part is quite positive. And he recommends the pajero so he can't be all bad!

Comment

• blgobg
                          • Aug 2017
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by DrewXT View Post
                          John Cadogan is a knob. I don't think I've watched too many videos of his that put a positive spin on anything.

Haha yeah i know what you mean, but i find him entertaining.

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

No doubt his style is a Top Gear approach but I learnt a lot. The price of DPF is a ripoff in some brands but sadly this is not uncommon with many bits.

But it is interesting that a failed DPF most likely due to something else. Many of the issues on this forum that have resulted members selling up and abandoning a bred appear to probably simple problems that a dealer can not diagnose. Not made better when the dealer claims it is not a problem.
                            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• DrewXT
                              • Mar 2014
                              • Melbourne

In my experience, DPF issues are primarily caused by using the incorrect oil during servicing.

Engine oil has to be DPF friendly or they clog up. Can be manually cleaned with a power washer, solvent and a forced regen, but it does shorten the life of the DPF.

Option B is to remove it, but it attracts a $10k fine for the owner and a $12k fine to the shop that does the work. $22k for a DIYer...

To my mind, better to service the vehicle correctly, and run a premium diesel from reputable companies.

Both our diesels do predominantly short trips, and no issues

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X