• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fun510
    • Feb 2010
    • Port Stephens NSW

All dressed Up for Trip!

As promissed, i have some photo showing the 33s along with the clearance & trimming I have had to do.

Since the trimming of the mudflap, I have had no issues with rubbing of the tyre whatsoever. I have once had some very sticky clay make contact, but man was that clay nasty!

The clostest point to contact is when the suspension is partially flexed up and the wheel has a small sterring input. This lines the tyre edge up with the bulge in the mudflap. It is the bulge that I needed to remove.

Note that I am running 30P offset 17x8 rims.

Hope this helps those considering their tyre options.
    Attached Files
    2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• LukeS
      • Mar 2010
      • Brisbane

Geez that looks good.. I want 33's!

All you need is a set of rock sliders now!
      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• fun510
        • Feb 2010
        • Port Stephens NSW

Yep definitely due for some sliders. Just need the $ or more time (to make em myself). Short on both these days. Would also love some rear protection - Now thats BIG $$$

One of the advantages of the P30 offset and 285 tyres is the increase in track. It does keep the side of the vehicle a bit further away from sides of ruts etc.

A bit more wheel track would be nice, but clearance in the front guards becomes more of a problem.

If you can stretch the budget - go for alloys on your second set. The steel wheels are so damed heavy and despite my best efforts fitting and two balancing attempts, I cannot get the steering wheel wobble to stop.
        2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• dimmo
          • Mar 2011
          • Radelaide

Originally posted by fun510 View Post
          If you can stretch the budget - go for alloys on your second set.

Just helping to minimise that budget stretch there...

Comment

• dimmo
            • Mar 2011
            • Radelaide

Fun,
            What are you doing with your spare sunraysia? are you hanging it in the factory spare location?

Comment

• fun510
              • Feb 2010
              • Port Stephens NSW

Originally posted by dimmo View Post
              Fun,
              What are you doing with your spare sunraysia? are you hanging it in the factory spare location?
              Umm...... Errr..... Its about the spare.... I still run the original alloy rim for the spare.

32" fits but not well. It hangs a bit low and wobbles a bit due to wedging in the chassis. I am not sure how it would cope with long term corrugations.

33" (285 wide) I haven't even bothered.

That kaymar rear bar and wheel carrier would be real nice!

Comment

• dimmo
                • Mar 2011
                • Radelaide

Umm...... Errr..... Its about the spare.... I still run the original alloy rim for the spare.

32" fits but not well. It hangs a bit low and wobbles a bit due to wedging in the chassis. I am not sure how it would cope with long term corrugations.

33" (285 wide) I haven't even bothered.

That kaymar rear bar and wheel carrier would be real nice!
                I'm making an adapter plate so I can use the existing hanger contraption with the Sunnies and their bigger holes. I just hope the tyre winds up under the car ok. I'll let you know how it goes.
                One day in the distant future, I'd like to get a k-mart bar too, but $4k+ is a bit steep. (I probably won't get one until the day before I go on my first big remote trek)

Comment

• ScottB
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Newcastle

I'm making an adapter plate so I can use the existing hanger contraption with the Sunnies and their bigger holes. I just hope the tyre winds up under the car ok. I'll let you know how it goes.
                  One day in the distant future, I'd like to get a k-mart bar too, but $4k+ is a bit steep. (I probably won't get one until the day before I go on my first big remote trek)
                  K-mart bar?
                  2011 PB LS Auto in Ironbark, Reverse Sensors, Dueler 694LT, BushSkinz bash plates, factory towbar. Ultimate Suspension lift.

Comment

• 4wd26
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

ML triton with some accessories
                    National E Trek Libary
                    Getting Out There

Comment

• 900canoes
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2008
                      • FNQ

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                      K-mart bar?
                      Mmmmm, K-mart should be cheaper than that!
                      2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• dimmo
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Radelaide

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
                        Ooh that looks shiny. Details? is that a machined piece of aluminium?
                        My plan was for a 200mm diameter piece of mild steel with bolt holes and bolts or studs, and with a hole in the middle for the tyre hanger. That way, the plate would mate to the wheel on the lip that runs around the outside of the bolt holes.

Comment

• russ1
                          • Feb 2011
                          • adelaide

As promissed, i have some photo showing the 33s along with the clearance & trimming I have had to do.

Since the trimming of the mudflap, I have had no issues with rubbing of the tyre whatsoever. I have once had some very sticky clay make contact, but man was that clay nasty!

The clostest point to contact is when the suspension is partially flexed up and the wheel has a small sterring input. This lines the tyre edge up with the bulge in the mudflap. It is the bulge that I needed to remove.

Note that I am running 30P offset 17x8 rims.

Hope this helps those considering their tyre options.
                          Fun510, great looking truck. Without changing this subject, I see you have roof lights on your rack. How did you get the wiring to them?
                          Regards,

Comment

• pusspuss
                            • Jun 2010
                            • ballarat

I see Avenger 4wd have on there web site a "Hitchgate". Looks like a good option if they would ever decide on pricing.
                            Its a spare wheel carrier that goes into the hitch reciever on your tow bar.
                            Apparently they are very popular in the US.
                            The only problem i see is if they stay stable after days of corrigations in the outback.
                            2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• wasarangie
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • Ocean Grove

Fun,
                              I carry the spare sunny in the factory position, have not found an issue with it.
                              Have not noticed any wedging in the chassis, and it handles corrugations with out an issue so far. Yes it hangs a little lower, I have not managed to ground it so far.

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
                              This looks very nice.

I used a spring retainer from an A class M/Benz that just happened to fit both the rim and the factory hanger, out of sight so not concerned about the average look of it, it works for me.
                              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• 4wd26
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

I think most aftermarket rims are 108-110mm centre
                                need to recheck the mitsubishi centre bore but think around 68mm?

would be pretty easy to get made up- if your running 2 sets of rims (including spare....)

otherwise if you are just running aftermarket rims you could go to a wrecker and get a "hanger" off a earlier triton or hilux (larger bore) and fix this in place. choice to replace the whole unit, or just the bottom plate
                                ML triton with some accessories
                                National E Trek Libary
                                Getting Out There

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X