• Show
Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Geopaj's Paj (NT VRX)

First, a bit of background.

For approximately 10 years, I had an NL. (Photo taken in Nov '14)

Absolutely loved the NL. It was set up for outback touring (ARB bulbar, tinted windows, UHF, 20L water tank, lift, LT tires, winch, roof rack, & awning, cargo barrier, HID Hellas, 55L sub tank, DIY rear storage unit, dual batteries, etc.)

In the NL we did many, many camping trips and outback runs (we love outback touring) including the following trips (from Adelaide);
    + up the Oodnadatta Track to Dalhousie Springs.
    + Birdsvilee Track to Birdsville.
    + to Inniminka via the old Bore Track. Home via Streslecki Track. (Inc visits to the Dig Tree and Will's grave).
    + many trips to the northern Flinders Ranges and Akaroola.
    + Simpson Desert crossing in 2014 (including towing camper trailer). Simpson crossing included 3 weeks exploring outback Queensland and the dinosaur sites.

At 340,000km, without every experiencing ANY major mechanical issues (besides regular maintenance, only had to replace 1 water pump & 2 alternators), I decided it was time to upgrade.

After looking at Patrols and Prados, I thought 'after having such a good run out of the NL, why wouldn't I buy another Pajero?'. So I did

I bought a NT I found for sale privately very CHEAP, so bought it. I then sold the NL to another forum member (after removing the roof rack, lights, awning, and winch - everything else I left on the NL).
    Last edited by geopaj; 04-05-21, 10:14 PM.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

So here's the NT as it was purchased in November 2014.

(This is actually a photo from the seller's advert.

Besides being in good condition with a perfect service history (and cheap), the original owner had spent a heap on the NT to set it up for outback touring with the following;
    + quality 50mm/2" lift
    + ARB Sahara Bar
    + Safari snorkel
    + Tigerz11 winch
    + Hella Rallye 4000 spot lights
    + custom made aluminium 80L diesel tank in the rear seat well
    + custom made aluminium boat loader (including custom mounts including internal roof bracing)
    + ARB dual batteries (with Anderson plug at rear of vehicle)
    + rear airbags
    + heavy duty towbar
    + Cooper tires (2 new, but 2 needing replacement)
    + plus all the VRX features such as factory rear air locker & privacy tint
    Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:37 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Since buying the NT I've been on a few forum trips. Quite a few people have been interested in the sub tank setup so I thought I'd post a pic.

It has a usable capacity of 80Ltrs.

It uses a 'standard/commercial' dual filler from Brown Davies (or maybe LRA? - I forget) and a solid state fuel pump to transfer fuel into the main tank. Exactly the same as when I set up the sub tank in the NL.
      Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:37 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Cargo Barrier

Within the first week of ownership, the modifications and improvements started.

Modification number 1 was (in my opinion), the most important - installation of a cargo barrier...

As with most things I do, I chose to install it myself to save money and so I know it's done correctly.

I also swapped the Tigerz11 winch for my good quality American made Superwinch of the NL.
        Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:38 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• conquistador
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • sth east queensland

Looks great the NL that is! NT looks great too.

What are your thoughts on the fixing of the barrier to the handle holds? I know they say they are titanium screws and all but.. additionally the I've found the large bolts can loosen after corrogations.

I'm interest on where you 22litre water tank sits?

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
            Looks great the NL that is! NT looks great too.

What are your thoughts on the fixing of the barrier to the handle holds? I know they say they are titanium screws and all but.. additionally the I've found the large bolts can loosen after corrogations.

I'm interest on where you 22litre water tank sits?
            Thanks. The NL was great. I was sad to let it go but one has to move on/upgrade eventually.

I too have found that corrugations will rattle any bolt/screw loose . I now always use locktite or nylock nuts on EVERYTHING.

As for using the grab handle mounts. I thought about it for a while but this was the recommended installation method (in an accident, even if the top mounts weren't installed, the seat and bottom mounts would stop the cargo barrier moving forward.

The water tank is installed against the cargo barrier in wasted space behind my fridge. Stay tuned for this 'instalment'.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

Shortly after buying the NT, a mate dropped round to give me a map he found.

No a vehicle mod, but definately a cool addition...

It's a genuine Mitsubishi Pajero road map of Australia with a Pajero poster on the back. I've never seen another one!

Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

17" Wheels & Tires

As stated above, it needed two tires. I thought it would be easiest to buy 2 Coopers to match the near new ones on the front. Nearly died at the price quoted by my favoured tire shop - $440 each (IIRC) - $880 for two and Cooper didn't have a light truck tire in 18". I also always like to take a 2nd spare when outback touring so would need to buy an additional 18" rim (maybe $400? so $1,280 total?? - and I wouldn't even have LT tires)

As luck would have it, another forum member wanted to sell their 17" NT GLS rims ($400 for 4) AND Bridgstone had 17" AT LT tires on special for $259 each. My tire shop price matched so I had a set of genuine 17" rims with new LT tires for $1,400, and I now can use my 18" rims with the Coopers for my 1st & 2nd spare.

Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

When we bought the NT, we made a 'pact' that the NT is a 4x4, and therefore should be used in exactly the same way as the NL (I figure if it's not going to get use if it's intended purpose, you might as well buy something cheaper to run!).

On it first 4wd trip (10/1/15 - about 8 weeks after purchase ), while having a red hot go at claiming a sand dune, I slid into a sand bank .

I was sure that the rear quarter should have been dented but, thankfully, it just rolled the tire off the bead... (The mates I was with still found it pretty funny though)

Then on the second trip (23/5/15) I managed to bend the side step. Bugger - the NL must have had more clearance (yes, I know some damage eventually is inevitable if your actually using a 4wd off-road).

Removed the step and straightened it but then couldn't re-install it as the mounts nolonger lined up. In the end I had to make a custom press to be able to press the step while still mounted on the vehicle.

Thankfully it came up ok in the end

I only ever had one off road 'incident' in the NL in 10 years... Here's hoping that my luck improves.
                  Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:39 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• conquistador
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • sth east queensland

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                    Shortly after buying the NT, a mate dropped round to give me a map he found.

No a vehicle mod, but definately a cool addition...

It's a genuine Mitsubishi Pajero road map of Australia with a Pajero poster on the back. I've never seen another one!

image hosting free

adult image

photo upload
                    Legend has it that whomever is possession of this map is obliqued to "travel to each & every corner of it in search of enlightenment". Apparently you can't get bogged either.

Comment

• geopaj
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Adelaide

Ultragauge MX and Auto Trans Temp Monitoring

Dicko1, cookie and I, cracked the Ultragauge MX codes required to monitor auto trans temps. (See this thread - http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...=Ultragauge+mx )

I then had to work out a way to mount the Ultragauge as I wasn't keen on the window suction mount. In the end, I made a bracket out of 3mm aluminium that attaches to the dash with double sided tape and has a cut down Ultragauge clip epoxy glued to it. The bracket means that the Ultragauge is within easy sight, does not obstruct any factory gauges, screens or buttons. I also painted the bracket satin black to help it not be as obvious.

Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:39 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
                      Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Adelaide

Hard Mounted ARB Compressor

I had some issues with some ARB gear on another vehicle. As a result, ARB gave me one of their new compressors and a hose kit (it's a long story that I won't go into here, but thumbs up to ARB for great customer service!)

I then decided to instal it on the NT. I copied someone else here on the forum (It was 0415discog in this thread - http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44648) and mounted the compressor inside the spare wheel bracket. It was actually an easy instal as I was able to use the existing Anderson plug wiring.

This pic shows the compressed air outlet and black compressor switch. I also installed the red switch to operate an LED rear work light I planned to add later.
                        Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:40 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
                        Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Adelaide

Rear LED Work/Camp Light

The light is wired so that it can be turned on/off by the red switch shown in my "compressor post" above, or from the driver's seat via the switch that was originally for the rear fog light - which is very handy when reversing the camper at night.

Stage 1- making the mount/pole and attaching it to the spare wheel holder

Stage 2- clearancing the pole so that it clears both the rear windscreen wiper and the spare tire.

The finished light & mount. Light is attached on both axis with nyloc nuts so that it can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically. Total cost $17 for the LED light of eBay, some scrap tube from the shed and a bit of time. (hight of light set so as to not impeded on my rear vision).
                          Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

Aux Auto Transmission Cooler

As we have a camper trailer and do a fair bit of off-road towing (crossed the Simpson with the camper last year), I installed an auxiliary Auto Transmission Cooler.
                            Trans Cooler was actually previously fitted to the NL but reused to save some cash. I installed it as recommended by my trusted Auto trans workshop - by bypassing the factory internal radiator cooler (now the factory external cooler and to aux cooler are inline).
                            Installing in this way his has several advantages, 1. Reducing heat load from the engine's cooling system (auto will run hotter than engine), 2. It is more efficient at cooling the trans.
                            Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Adelaide

UHF

Installed an 80 channel DIN sized GME UHF...
                              Anyone notice another mod in this picture I haven't mentioned?
                              Last edited by geopaj; 03-05-18, 08:41 PM. Reason: Postimage links updated
                              Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X