• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • _jp_
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Adelaide Hills, SA

Coolant change interval 3 or 4 years?

My NW has had Blue SLL coolant since new. It was changed at 45000km (3 years) as per the book. It is now due again at 90000km (6 years).

It is now out of warranty so it will not be done at the dealership.

My understanding is that the NX intervals are 60000km (4 years) using the same coolant in the same motor. There is talk in other threads that the factory started using blue SLL in the NW but did not update the service schedule in the manual to reflect its longer service life.

At this stage I'd like to keep using the genuine SLL coolant rather than change to another brand.

So my question is, should I change it as per the book (now), or push it out to 4 year intervals?
    NW GLXR - SOLD
    --------------
    EVO 6 TME
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I have a tame mechanic (a good friend) who I use for annual roadworthy certificates and any major work on my cars. The rest I will do myself as long as I am physically able. My friendly mechanic has testing gizmos - one which analyses the brake fluid for moisture and also another device which checks the coolant to assess its anti-corrosion properties. I live in a very dry area and hence brake fluid degradation is not such an issue as it is in coastal areas. As for the coolant, I suspect that the climate where you live has no influence on life of the coolant. If you can find a tame mechanic with these tools you could save yourself some money by extending its life.

For what it is worth, I believe that the blue coolant is rated for at least 4 years anyway. That is what the local dealer used in my NW Pajero as well.

Comment

• benckj
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2017
      • Alexandra , New Zealand

As indicated above the ethylene glycol doesn’t wear out but corrosion resistance does. I add a corrosion inhibitor to my system every couple of years to bring the PH in check. Not sure what’s available for your ‘type’ of blue coolant but may help.

Comment

• Muzza
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Nsw

I just chnaged my SLL blue coolant last week, the vehicle is 5 years, i stuck with mitsubishi coolant $110 per 5 lt,
        The radiator drain was about 5lt, I then disconnected one of the rear heater hoses near the transmission and drained another 2lt, then using a small amount of commpressed air in the heater line got another 1.5lt out, so all up 8.5lt t out of the 10.7 ( handbook figure).
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• _jp_
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
          I just chnaged my SLL blue coolant last week, the vehicle is 5 years, i stuck with mitsubishi coolant $110 per 5 lt,
          The radiator drain was about 5lt, I then disconnected one of the rear heater hoses near the transmission and drained another 2lt, then using a small amount of commpressed air in the heater line got another 1.5lt out, so all up 8.5lt t out of the 10.7 ( handbook figure).
          Thanks Muzza. I was hoping to get away with 2x 5L containers and not have to worry about buying the 0.7L extra which sounds like I will.
          NW GLXR - SOLD
          --------------
          EVO 6 TME

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

I used the nulon blue after ringing the tech line. 7 year interval and is suitable to mix with genuine if some still remains in system.

Comment

• Scooby
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Ipswich, Qld.

Just changed the NW over to Nulon blue also.
              Isn’t that a fun job with rear AC heater!
              But 8 years or 500000kms of happy driving before I need to do that again apparently.
              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• traktor
                • Oct 2013
                • sydney

I was in the same position once, eventually I flushed coolant to Blue Nulon, then I figured out from SDS it contains controversial chemical 2-ethylhexanoate which may not be good for silicon and some rubber gaskets

I flushed again to penrite oem blue coolant
                Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate is a GENUINE GLYSANTIN® G30® Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), fully licensed and warranty approved, type "A" ethylene glycol, anti-freeze anti-boil coolant as used in initial manufacturer factory fills. It uses a technically advanced OAT (Organic Acid Technology) based inhibitor system that is Silicate, Phosphate, Amine, Borate and Nitrite free. The extended long life inhibitor formulation prevents rust, corrosion, cavitation and degradation of the cooling system for 8 years or 500,000km. PLEASE NOTE: Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate replaces 7 Year 450,000 KM Blue Coolant Concentrate Application Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate is suitable for the cooling systems of petrol, LPG, light and heavy duty diesel and industrial engines where an OAT type anti-freeze / anti-boil and anti-corrosion properties are required. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate Coolant is suitable for passenger cars, 4WD's, motorcycles, light heavy duty commercial vehicles, construction and agricultural equipment. It is suitable for use with Australian, European, Asian US vehicles It is Silicate, Borate and Phosphate Free making it particularly suitable for both European Japanese vehicles that use blue coloured coolant such as Nissan, Subaru Suzuki. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate provides long-term protection against rust and corrosion for all materials used in the engine and in the cooling system. It protects cast iron, aluminium, copper and solder alloys as well as the hoses, seals and plastics. It is particularly effective in all cast aluminium engines that are under load or used in extreme hot and cold climates. It may be used in all types of vehicles that use blue coloured initial fill coolants and it is also suitable for use in out of warranty service to maintain OEM performance. It is also ideal for motorcycles. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate should be used at a concentration level of 50% for maximum inhibitor life and anti-freeze anti-boil protection. We recommend using Penrite De-Mineralised Water when mixing although the phosphate free formulation allows it to be mixed with normal tap water if necessary. Blue OEM Coolant is also available as a 50% concentration formulation that is ready to use and requires no mixing. Coolant Flushing Penrite recommend flushing the cooling system prior to a complete service refill. Penrite Radiator Flush effectively cleans the system in 7 minutes and prepares the cooling system for new coolant. Dose Rate - Freezing Point Boiling Point Penrite recommend mixing at the manufacturers recommended concentration levels. Mix Ratio 33% 50% Freezing Point -18°C -38°C Boiling Point +104°C +109°C DeMineralised Water When mixing coolants, Penrite recommend mixing at the manufacturers recommended concentration levels with Penrite De-Mineralised Water Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap

if I could start over again I would do partial coolant change every 2-3 years using genuine Mitsubishi coolant, just drain from the radiator (4-5 liters) and then refill very slowly. That is what dealer will do if you ask to change coolant. It is an easy job to do, just be patient when filling up radiator very slow to avoid air locks.

This way you can avoid draining coolant from engine block and heater hoses under the car as you doing so will create air locks which you need to get rid off.
                Changing coolant type requires full flush which is time consuming and laborious process with high possibility of creating air locks which can cause trouble.

When flushing second time I used OEMTOOLS 24444 5 Adapters Cooling System Refiller Kit, it creates vacuum but requires compressor.

So, to summarise if you have genuine coolant in the system and don't want to bother with full flush just buy 5L of the same genuine coolant, drain coolant from radiator and refill it. Depending on when the last change was done (if done by a dealer it would be partial change), repeat procedure in 1-3 year later.

When you refill radiator more likely it will accept a little bit less then drained, make car nose up and top up coolant to radiator when engine is running massaging upper radiator hose. The radiator should not be hot of course when doing it.

NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Scooby
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by traktor View Post
                  I was in the same position once, eventually I flushed coolant to Blue Nulon, then I figured out from SDS it contains controversial chemical 2-ethylhexanoate which may not be good for silicon and some rubber gaskets

I flushed again to penrite oem blue coolant
                  Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate is a GENUINE GLYSANTIN® G30® Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), fully licensed and warranty approved, type "A" ethylene glycol, anti-freeze anti-boil coolant as used in initial manufacturer factory fills. It uses a technically advanced OAT (Organic Acid Technology) based inhibitor system that is Silicate, Phosphate, Amine, Borate and Nitrite free. The extended long life inhibitor formulation prevents rust, corrosion, cavitation and degradation of the cooling system for 8 years or 500,000km. PLEASE NOTE: Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate replaces 7 Year 450,000 KM Blue Coolant Concentrate Application Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate is suitable for the cooling systems of petrol, LPG, light and heavy duty diesel and industrial engines where an OAT type anti-freeze / anti-boil and anti-corrosion properties are required. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate Coolant is suitable for passenger cars, 4WD's, motorcycles, light heavy duty commercial vehicles, construction and agricultural equipment. It is suitable for use with Australian, European, Asian US vehicles It is Silicate, Borate and Phosphate Free making it particularly suitable for both European Japanese vehicles that use blue coloured coolant such as Nissan, Subaru Suzuki. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate provides long-term protection against rust and corrosion for all materials used in the engine and in the cooling system. It protects cast iron, aluminium, copper and solder alloys as well as the hoses, seals and plastics. It is particularly effective in all cast aluminium engines that are under load or used in extreme hot and cold climates. It may be used in all types of vehicles that use blue coloured initial fill coolants and it is also suitable for use in out of warranty service to maintain OEM performance. It is also ideal for motorcycles. Blue OEM Coolant Concentrate should be used at a concentration level of 50% for maximum inhibitor life and anti-freeze anti-boil protection. We recommend using Penrite De-Mineralised Water when mixing although the phosphate free formulation allows it to be mixed with normal tap water if necessary. Blue OEM Coolant is also available as a 50% concentration formulation that is ready to use and requires no mixing. Coolant Flushing Penrite recommend flushing the cooling system prior to a complete service refill. Penrite Radiator Flush effectively cleans the system in 7 minutes and prepares the cooling system for new coolant. Dose Rate - Freezing Point Boiling Point Penrite recommend mixing at the manufacturers recommended concentration levels. Mix Ratio 33% 50% Freezing Point -18°C -38°C Boiling Point +104°C +109°C DeMineralised Water When mixing coolants, Penrite recommend mixing at the manufacturers recommended concentration levels with Penrite De-Mineralised Water Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap

if I could start over again I would do partial coolant change every 2-3 years using genuine Mitsubishi coolant, just drain from the radiator (4-5 liters) and then refill very slowly. That is what dealer will do if you ask to change coolant. It is an easy job to do, just be patient when filling up radiator very slow to avoid air locks.

This way you can avoid draining coolant from engine block and heater hoses under the car as you doing so will create air locks which you need to get rid off.
                  Changing coolant type requires full flush which is time consuming and laborious process with high possibility of creating air locks which can cause trouble.

When flushing second time I used OEMTOOLS 24444 5 Adapters Cooling System Refiller Kit, it creates vacuum but requires compressor.

So, to summarise if you have genuine coolant in the system and don't want to bother with full flush just buy 5L of the same genuine coolant, drain coolant from radiator and refill it. Depending on when the last change was done (if done by a dealer it would be partial change), repeat procedure in 1-3 year later.

When you refill radiator more likely it will accept a little bit less then drained, make car nose up and top up coolant to radiator when engine is running massaging upper radiator hose. The radiator should not be hot of course when doing it.
                  I chose the Nulon Blue because it says it is compatible with the Mitsubishi Super Long Life Coolant that was in my NW. Can be used to top up even.

I changed from the genuine coolant because of the ridiculous cost.

Has anyone using Nulon blue coolant had trouble yet?

Does all Nulon Coolant have this problem?

What part of the SDS says it contains 2-ethylhexanoate?

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Comment

• traktor
                    • Oct 2013
                    • sydney

SDS can be found here https://www.nulon.com.au/products/cooling-systems/blue-premium-long-life-coolant-100-percent-concentrate,
                    section 3 of SDS shows Chemical composition.
                    I tested bits of plastic and rubber in Blue Nulon concentrate for a few month, I did not notice any swelling, but still not sure about long term effect.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	sds.png
Views:	705
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1081984
                    According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze
                    DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer.
                    NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Scooby
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Ipswich, Qld.

Thanks for that, I was tapping on the larger Product Bulletin square thinking it was the SDS, not the smaller SDS square.

This problem goes back to 2007 so surely Nulon wouldn’t be using something that could cause these problems?

I may have to send them an email to confirm, to get something in writing.

Otherwise it will be another flush and Penrite.

Comment

• traktor
                        • Oct 2013
                        • sydney

Penrite was asked about 2-EHA in their coolant, they did not give straightforward answer
                        Hello Penrite, As the tittle states does your blue anti-freeze contain any form of 2-EHA (2-Ethylhexyl acrylate) or sub forms of it such as carboxylate. Thank for your guidance on the matter. Regards, Mitchell

"
                        ... I am not in a position to discuss formulation information about any of our products but as a general comment I understand that 2-Ethylhexyl acrylate is used in the production of adhesives and polymerises readily and so is unlikely to find application in formulated anti-freeze products. ..."

Penrite OEM Blue coolant is Glysantin G30 which is manufactured by BASF (Germany) , I could not find composition information on their web site https://www.glysantin.de/en/glysantinr-g30r-concentrate.

By the way Nulon pink coolant https://www.nulon.com.au/products/co...nt-concentrate SDS does not mention 2-ethylhexanoate.

So, when using after market coolants we can not be 100% sure, this subject is very convoluted.

When a car is still on warranty the best bet is to use MM genuine coolant and know exactly what was filled in factory, as at least there 2 types of MM coolant greenish one and more recent bluish one. The problem with genuine coolant is price - quite expensive to do full flush (10.6L with rear heater).

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by traktor View Post

When a car is still on warranty the best bet is to use MM genuine coolant and know exactly what was filled in factory, as at least there 2 types of MM coolant greenish one and more recent bluish one. The problem with genuine coolant is price - quite expensive to do full flush (10.6L with rear heater).
                          There are many many Pajeros here that aren't using OEM coolant. Ours included. First coolant flush and refill was done at 45,000ks with non OEM coolant and has been done every 45,000ks since using the same non OEM coolant. Our NS is now sitting on 345,000ks.

Do your research and don't listen to the fed to you by Mitsubishi or any other vehicle manufacture and be conned into purchasing overpriced so called OEM coolant, engine oil, auto transmission oil and filters.

Comment

• Maccaman194
                            • Feb 2009
                            • Maitland NSW

Hi Bruce and Bobby
                            Agree entirely.
                            I just got the 60,000 service done at the Mitsubishi Dealership in Newcastle. $1500 thanks including the tappet adjustment, replacement brake fluid, and coolant change.
                            I looked at the bill and found:
                            - Coolant 5l $138 plus GST that is over $30 per litre!
                            - Engine oil 9.8l $137 plus GST over $15 per litre
                            The fuel filter was over $100 when you include GST, and the cabin filter nearly the same cost!
                            That is a joke. The costs of those parts is much higher now than when I was getting the previous Paj serviced at Klosters Mitsi. On this NX I had not looked too hard because it had Fixed Price Servicing up until this 60k service.
                            I have serviced my previous NS till I sold it at 290,000km (after it came out of warranty), and on this NX at 7500km intermediate services with Penrite Enviro Plus full synthetic. That can be exy but I wait till on special at Repco or Supercheap and get 10l for about $80-90. A service kit of Ryco oil, fuel and air filters from Sparesbox is usually about $90 if you buy on sale and put aside ready.
                            How can Mitsubishi justify these costs? Ridiculous.
                            Screw the warranty - I think I will be doing my servicing myself again from here on in. At least I know it is done properly and at one third the cost.
                            Cheers

2017 NX Pajero. Lovells Bilsteins, other stuff

Comment

• spot01
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Maccaman194 View Post
                              Hi Bruce and Bobby
                              Agree entirely.
                              I just got the 60,000 service done at the Mitsubishi Dealership in Newcastle. $1500 thanks including the tappet adjustment, replacement brake fluid, and coolant change.
                              I looked at the bill and found:
                              - Coolant 5l $138 plus GST that is over $30 per litre!
                              - Engine oil 9.8l $137 plus GST over $15 per litre
                              The fuel filter was over $100 when you include GST, and the cabin filter nearly the same cost!
                              That is a joke. The costs of those parts is much higher now than when I was getting the previous Paj serviced at Klosters Mitsi. On this NX I had not looked too hard because it had Fixed Price Servicing up until this 60k service.
                              I have serviced my previous NS till I sold it at 290,000km (after it came out of warranty), and on this NX at 7500km intermediate services with Penrite Enviro Plus full synthetic. That can be exy but I wait till on special at Repco or Supercheap and get 10l for about $80-90. A service kit of Ryco oil, fuel and air filters from Sparesbox is usually about $90 if you buy on sale and put aside ready.
                              How can Mitsubishi justify these costs? Ridiculous.
                              Screw the warranty - I think I will be doing my servicing myself again from here on in. At least I know it is done properly and at one third the cost.
                              Cheers
                              Those prices are well above what my dealer charges. I'm forming the view that people should get quotes from 3 dealers before booking in. Ask for "trade" - it costs nothing to ask.

I supply my own oil and I don't get the cabin filter changed every year (as it doesn't need it for my use, but some people may need to)

At least they only charged for 5L of coolant. I'm told they can only get about 5L out when changing, but some dealers charge for the "nominal Capacity" of about 8 or 9 litres despite being unable to go over 5L unless they pull the system apart.
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X