Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Fuel and fuel systems (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Diesel fuelling mistake prevention (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=66604)

dreamerman 01-03-20 01:12 PM

Diesel fuelling mistake prevention

I have been thinking of how to make sure I do not mess up with the wrong fuel. Best for me is physical deterrent like special fuel caps. Seems both below products are most common and available from AU sellers. From a quick read, I think the main difference is one has a twist cap and the other is cap-less.

Would appreciate feedback if you have experience in using them.

https://www.total4x4.com.au/misfuelling-protection-cap/

https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/pro...ge/diesel-fill

Alex86 01-03-20 03:56 PM

What about a bit of sheet rubber somehow attached around the filler neck that covers the cap, but still allows the door to shut. Put a big DIESEL placard on the flap. Have to lift the rubber flap before undoing the cap.

Also a big DIESEL sticker on the filler flap itself.

DibbyDibbyDJ 01-03-20 03:57 PM

The Solo Diesel one used to be stocked by mitsi dealers, and we fitted them to our loan cars and staff cars. never had a problem with them, and easy to use.

dreamerman 01-03-20 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 627695)
The Solo Diesel one used to be stocked by mitsi dealers, and we fitted them to our loan cars and staff cars. never had a problem with them, and easy to use.

:beer[1]:

spot01 01-03-20 05:03 PM

Whilst i think the anti mis-fuelling devices are a good idea for many users, it is worth noting the caps/inserts that restrict which pump nozzle will fit may also prevent refueling from truck pumps, remote location resellers using non standard nozzles, jerry cans, etc.

I'm unsure how easy they are to remove if required.

erad 01-03-20 05:55 PM

I bought a spray can of bright dayglow Orange paint and when the fuel door is opened, it smacks you in the face. Still no positive prevention but better than nothing.

dreamerman 01-03-20 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot01 (Post 627697)
I'm unsure how easy they are to remove if required.

The SoloDiesel simply screw on/off like the stock cap. Just looked at youtube.

Peterng 07-03-20 08:32 PM

This product may be good whilst driving around on sealed roads...nice bit of fuel bling...
But...
I have seen the damage of what the Aussie outback dust can to air and fuel systems and the nooks and crevices it can get into..including bum cracks...
Using this product out bush...mate...you are inviting trouble..
Nah...the OEM screw thread cap for me with a good rubber seal..
Manufactures spend millions on their fuel system designs...
Aircraft, trucks, farming equipment, earthmoving equipment...and the humble 4wd..
The simple fuel screw thread fuel cap....
Diesel vehicle...look and see the diesel fuel bowser...
Its the "BLACK" label on the fuel bowser.

Jasonmc73 07-03-20 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterng (Post 628106)
This product may be good whilst driving around on sealed roads...nice bit of fuel bling...
But...
I have seen the damage of what the Aussie outback dust can to air and fuel systems and the nooks and crevices it can get into..including bum cracks...
Aircraft, trucks, farming equipment, earthmoving equipment...and the humble 4wd..

The one with 91 written on it goes in wives car, colours get bit tricky with 91

The black one with diesel wrtten on it goes in Triton ute. I did put "premium diesel" in at last fill 0.14 Cents per litre more expensive by mistake :lol9[1]:
Tricky suckers have them side by side.

That cap would be great peace of mind though & quick look on you tube you can get cover cap for them re contamination etc

Having Fun 09-03-20 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterng (Post 628106)
But...

I hear what you're saying & agree, but 99% of people with 4x4's will never leave the suburbs, let alone leave the settled areas. They won't understand what you're saying.