Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Generation 3 Pajero (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No gear selection in any gear / Clutch stuck (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=64267)

DAUMULLER 15-05-19 09:50 PM

No gear selection in any gear / Clutch stuck

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
I have had this happen to me a couple of times over the last few years. Every time it has happened after some reasonably deep water crossings (Over the top of tires for some length).
What I think happens is water enters the clutch housing and when you stop and turn off the car for a while causes stiction to occur (clutch tends to stick to flywheel). You find out when starting in neutral or with clutch depressed the car acts like it is in gear. Generally if you persist in key starting the car, the clutch will spring back and all back to normal. It tends to throw you when it first happens ( like the gearbox or clutch has failed not great when the first time was on OTT in cape York) But after years of normal operation after each time I thought is was worth sharing so if others experienced the same issue they can be aware of the cause. See attached photo 02-07-2015 just prior to first occurrence.
You can still select 2WD 4WD High & Low with ignition on just no gears can be selected. I selected low 4WD and key started both times it happened and this fixed the issue.
Pajero 2005 NP 3.8L Petrol Manual

sharkcaver 16-05-19 12:57 AM

Yep, had it happen a few times in my gen3. Seems the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel once it gets wet. I got around it by starting it in gear. The jolt seems to separate the clutch from the flywheel.

First time for me was on the Gibb River road. Nice place to be stranded in gear.....not!

GHendo 16-05-19 05:28 PM

Yeah, the problem is the water but it can be caused by moisture from another source. When my vehicle was relatively new, I went to start it one afternoon and the clutch was stuck as you describe. I hadnít been through any deep water, however it turned out the drain from the air conditioner was leaking down onto the bell-housing and saturating the clutch. Mitsubishi did a recall because of this problem and merely put a extra piece of plastic pipe on the drain.

Cheers

Geoff

DID Dash 16-05-19 07:56 PM

Yep, seems common, had it happen 2 or 3 times in my NM 2.8. A/C drain pipe identified as the source. Only thing that ever caused me concern with that old girl. Great old bus, not fast, but reliable and economical.

Axis 16-05-19 09:10 PM

Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.

sharkcaver 16-05-19 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axis (Post 607833)
Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.

The main problem with sealing things is that you generally are not that successful, but then you severely restrict the ability of water already in there to get out. I wouldn't bother myself.

Seigried 17-05-19 06:25 AM

I had a similar issue years ago with a suzuki sierra. Mud and water would get into the bell housing if your inspection cover came off. It left you only able to select gears with the motor off! Luckily i was able to get it going in 3rd to get back to brisbane. The fix was to put a hose into the bell housing via the inspection hole and leave it with the engine running for an hour. Check repeat until enough mud etc. Had come out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk