• Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Karratha 3/4/16 - Coral Trout!

Another ripper day fishing on Sunday.

Bad start though. Pulled up to Mackerel busting up the surface. Sent in a metal slice and one hit it on the first cast, but spat the lure. Sent it straight back in and hooked up but the line snapped. Re-rigged in a hurry and on the 3rd cast the line snapped, lure and trace went sailing off without the rest of my line. Turns out one of my eyes is damaged and sliced the braid. Ah well that rod got put away for the rest of the day. 2 lures gone in 3 casts and no fish!

Mate landed a spaniard which got kept. It fought well. Not sure what happened but it was hooked nicely in the mouth when it first came up to the surface, put on another run, then somehow ended up foul-hooked thru the belly when it came back up again

I then lost something big just after it hit the lure, or more likely it went for the swivel instead as all I brought back was line, cut above the swivel. 3rd lure gone for the day.

Various other species caught amongst the others on board, shark mackies, small cod, longtom, trevally.

Then finally along came my fishy! After my luck none of us were expecting to land it, the boys bit their tongues and didn't give me any grief about it whilst trying to bring it in thankfully, methinks they didn't want to tempt another loss! I could tell it wasn't mack but wasn't sure what it was until I saw some colour, I then shouted "trout!!" and everyone got excited. Unexpected fish too, seeing as though I was trolling a 2m diving lure in 11m of water, with no real structure around (trout love their hidey holes). Just shows fishing is pure luck!!!

Anyway, 57cm coral trout about 3kg. Supposedly a very tasty fish, I don't eat fish so wouldn't know. They do look pretty cool though. It's a favourite of most of those on the boat, so he was kept for their dinner.
    I've caught tiny ones before, but nothing like this one!

Last edited by Alex86; 02-04-18, 01:29 PM.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Lovely. Not only are they great for dinner, but great to hunt underwater too.
    Looks like a nice day all round. certainly beats working.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Lost1
      • Dec 2013
      • Melbourne

Two great eating fish. Coral trout gets the nod as my favourite. I need to get some sun.
      09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

I got enough sun. Still shows quite obviously!

Be in Melb anyway in a couple weeks, need to heat-soak.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X