• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fazza81
    • Jul 2009

3.2 did fuel usage going up????

Team,

I have a NP 3.2 did auto exceed. We used to get around the 650 klms to a tank around town with the missus driving to and from work etc. Now I have had the auto serviced and put a snorkle on now we are lucky to get 600 to the tank same driving.

I have check the snorkle no blockage, change air filters, check tyre pressures.

Anyone else had dramas?
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Fazza, only 600 to 650 out of a tank from a DiD?????
    I've only had my truck for not even 6 months and it is a manual and has new injectors and a new injector pump, but I am finding over 800kms out of a tank is easily achievable around town...
    I have no doubt I would get to 900 on one tank but I would be very close to running dry.
    Where abouts do you live? Are you running around in the heat with the aircon on all the time? Is your missus a lead foot?
    How many kms has your car done? Do the injectors perhaps need a freshen up to re-gain some efficiency?
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• gunbarrelpaj
      • Oct 2008

just did 2400 km from adelaide via Ulara into the Ngaatatjarra Lands to Wararn. Fully loaded and I mean heavy with roof rack only carrying an extra spare aircon on all the way with 40 plus temps. Achieved 10L per 100 at 110kph plus and a variety of surfaces.
      2009 NT GLS DID, ARB Color Coded Bar, IPF Xtreme Lights, Cooper AT3 LT, GVM Upgrade with 300kg tow ball@ 3000kg New Age Big Red 19 when on tow.

Comment

• fazza81
        • Jul 2009

Dan,

Live just outside Rockhampton CQ so AC is on all the time. We live just outside the 100kph mark so when you turn out you have to get up to 100 for 3 mins then back down to 80 not sure if that is knocking the economy around and I don't drive with the missus so not sure but usually she is not to much of a lead foot.

We are going on a 2 week adventure towing our jayco camper doing about 3000 klms next week maybe run some injector cleaner through??

Ideas??

Comment

• Rusty Nail
          • Mar 2010
          • Munich, Germany

How many kms has your did?
          Injector cleaner did nothing on mine. I even used stuff that you run directly through the fuel lines.
          What made a difference was a good cleaning of the intake manifold.
          Maybe your diesel filter needs some attention as well.
          Any other ideas on fuel consumption would be great as diesel is 1,35?/L here at the moment.
          2001 3.2 DiD, OME Lift, 265/75 16 Cooper STs, Winch w/ custom mount

Comment

• fazza81
            • Jul 2009

Only has 130 000 on the clock. Was thinking about pulling all the intake off and cleaning it and blocking the ERG valve.

Comment

• Ranger J
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
              Fazza, only 600 to 650 out of a tank from a DiD?????
              I've only had my truck for not even 6 months and it is a manual and has new injectors and a new injector pump, but I am finding over 800kms out of a tank is easily achievable around town...
              I have no doubt I would get to 900 on one tank but I would be very close to running dry.
              Where abouts do you live? Are you running around in the heat with the aircon on all the time? Is your missus a lead foot?
              How many kms has your car done? Do the injectors perhaps need a freshen up to re-gain some efficiency?
              Dan.
              I doubt you're (or anyone running standard tyres) actually getting 800 odd km's to the tank.

I did a odo check with the GPS when I was running the standard 265/70/R16's and the odo read more than the GPS, though I can't remember the actual significance, but it may be as high as +5%. At the time I was getting 850km/tank according to the odo.

I did the same check again with my 255/85/R16 and the significance is now down to -0.0125% and speed reads almost spot on.

Of late, I have been getting around 650-700km/tank around the city, which isn't bad considering the weather lately (fkn hot = air con) and the fact that I'm running tyres that are 2" OD larger than standard.

I have done the EGR mod to mine, and have found little difference to the economy. I want to clean out the intake manifold, but looks like an absolute bastard to remove.
              NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• pjchris
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                I doubt you're (or anyone running standard tyres) actually getting 800 odd km's to the tank.

I did a odo check with the GPS when I was running the standard 265/70/R16's and the odo read more than the GPS, though I can't remember the actual significance, but it may be as high as +5%. At the time I was getting 850km/tank according to the odo.
                Actually you were getting 800km's to the tank....A quick calculation shows that 850 -5% is 807km. So yes.. You were.

I regularly get 850-900kms with standard tyres and when I checked the odo on my car it was nearly spot on despite the speed being 5% out at 100km/h. Although I do live in a semi-rural area so quite a bit of my driving is in 80kmh and above speed zones which helps. As does using the Tiptronic. Left to its own devices my NM is in fifth at about 50km/h, way too early.

Note that the speedo and odometer while driven by the same cable work independently. Also GPS distance measurements are often quite inaccurate as the ignore altitude differences (Assume a 'Flat' Earth).

Different programs do it differently. OziExplorer does use altitude changes but from my experience with older TomTom, MioMap and Garmin versions they don't. Plus even with OziExplorer the altitude inclusions only help up to a point as a GPS accurate to 5-10m horizontally is usually only accurate to about +/- 100m.

Peter
                2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X