Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Generation 4-2 Pajero (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   rear park sensor (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=61642)

armara 03-07-18 09:39 PM

rear park sensor

For the last month or so my rear parking sensor dash light and beep (sound) both come on when I place car in reverse then turn off after 10-15 seconds without touching anything.

It is factory fitted and have no issue for the last 8-9 years

Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

geopaj 03-07-18 09:45 PM

I had the same symptoms after I ripped off one of the sensors off the rear bumper exiting a rather tight creek.

I suspect one of the sensors is damaged or one of the connectors isn’t getting a good contact.

Hazpet 04-07-18 12:11 AM

G'day Armara.. I had exactly the same with my NW, but while the beeping would stop the dash light remained on. One dealer had 4 or 5 goes at fixing it without success. Took it to Busselton Mitsubishi where I bought the car and they tracked it down to a loose connection in the driver's side rear panel. That's the first place I'd look.

armara 06-07-18 02:02 PM

Thanks, I will look at the places you've said. :)

Hazpet 10-07-18 11:09 PM

How did you go Armara, did you have any luck

Doowrag 16-07-18 04:16 PM

Also check your trailer plug connection. I believe the rear sensors are disabled when a trailer is connected so you may have some rubbish in the plug that may be affecting it ?

armara 17-07-18 06:50 PM

Thanks for the help, I noticed the plug behind the wheel carrier was broken into two pieces. I was going away so just pushed it back together and its held up (worked) for the last 2500km driving on the rubbish roads to Mackay and back. I'll have a better look and try to glue it on the weekend if I get a chance. Unfortunately I had repair work done to the whole rear wheel carrier because of being hit, the repairers have taken the cover off many times and probably broke it during one of those times.
My sensors are factory fitted and do not disengage when I plug the trailer plug into the port.

thanks again

aussieintas 17-07-18 07:03 PM

Glad to hear you found the issue and thanks for letting the forum know. May help someone down the line.

Doowrag 18-07-18 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armara (Post 587788)
My sensors are factory fitted and do not disengage when I plug the trailer plug into the port.

thanks again

So when you reverse with a trailer on it beeps the whole time?

spot01 18-07-18 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doowrag (Post 587851)
So when you reverse with a trailer on it beeps the whole time?

There are 2 types of sensor system, fitted by the factory or dealer:

The factory fitted sensors (2 sensors in the wheel carrier & 2 in the bumper) do not stop when a trailer is plugged in, but can be turned off using the dash switch (they reset to on each time you shift out of R, I think). They also have a trailer mode which changes the area they sense to allow for a towbar (refer handbook for instructions).

The dealer fitted genuine MMAL accessory sensors (4 sensors in the bumper) have the switch in the plug base to deactivate when a trailer is plugged in (unsure if they also have a dash switch).

Some cars may also have aftermarket sensors, which may vary.