• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smej
    • Nov 2012
    • Sydney

Getting bluetooth calls and music streaming working concurrently with MMCS

Hi all, long time lurker and recent purchaser of a Platinum 2.

For me, like most, the MMCS is a disappointment, but thanks to these forums I knew exactly what I was getting.

Putting in a new system isn’t an option ATM, so in the meantime I’ve gotten around the two biggest PITAs by:
    1. Installing Keith’s override kit (paid on 14/12, received 03/01 so no hassles there, decent turnaround considering the time of year)
    2. Picking up a TuneLink Auto (http://www.newpotatotech.com/TUNELIN...k_android.html), ended up being approx $100 delivered from eBay

There’s plenty of similar things to the Tunelink out there but it was the only one where I could find evidence that it could:
    1. Automatically connect and resume playing when ignition is started
    2. Cope with Android connecting ‘phone audio’ (Headset profile) and ‘media audio’ (A2DP) to two separate devices concurrently

So when I hop into the Paj my phone now automatically connects calls to the MMCS and music to the TuneLink and starts playing whereever my music last stopped:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-04-19-59-39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	992190

Currently audio is running from the Tunelink in the centre console to the AUX in via a 3.5mm to RCA (the Tunelink also does FM transmission, but like all of these the quality is garbage).

So all the MMCS Bluetooth call integration works as it would normally and if a call comes in the phone hits pause on the music automatically until I reject or accept and complete the call. Android’s voice dialling is somewhat better that MMCS’s too

The Tunelink site and reviews banged on about the sound quality and it is the best A2DP quality I’ve heard. Much better than the headset I use on the train or the Belkin in my old car. Those both have terrible distortion / clipping on the top end.

I’ve only tried it with my Galaxy Note, but it should work the same with any Android 2.2 or greater device.

And no, I'm not a Tunelink shill though it goddamn sounds like it!

To do list:
    • Build in a micro audio mixer so I can have multiple audio inputs into the AUX in
    • Wire the tunelink in hidden behind the dash somewhere (where's the best place to tap accessories 12v??)
    MY12 Plat II diesel auto, factory rear locker, tow pack, spare wheel lift, MMCS override, Tunelink audio steaming & too many plans and not enough $
  • Bigbaddave12
    • Jul 2012
    • South East S.A.

Originally posted by smej
    Wire the tunelink in hidden behind the dash somewhere (where's the best place to tap accessories 12v??)
    back of the lighter socket 12v power source. IMHP. Thats where I'm going to do it.
    bigbaddave12.
    NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• jwoods
      • Oct 2012
      • Melbourne

That's good to hear
      Last edited by jwoods; 17-12-13, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• gluetom
        • May 2013
        • wa

Pajero bluetooth

Hi Guys
        I am surprised you haven't tried this already. I stumbled upon this forum trying to find a solution- how to play musing from my iphone or any bluetooth phone in my Pajero?
        and after not finding anything here I realised that the solution has been around for a while, just get one of these and plug it into Pajero iPhone adaptor in the glovebox

or you can use an aux bluetooth adapter, there are many different kinds available on ebay to aux input.
        Simple!!

Comment

• Fraal
          • May 2012
          • Alice Springs

Originally posted by gluetom View Post
          Hi Guys
          I am surprised you haven't tried this already. I stumbled upon this forum trying to find a solution- how to play musing from my iphone or any bluetooth phone in my Pajero?
          and after not finding anything here I realised that the solution has been around for a while, just get one of these and plug it into Pajero iPhone adaptor in the glovebox

or you can use an aux bluetooth adapter, there are many different kinds available on ebay to aux input.
          Simple!!
          If you have the original iPod accessory cable installed then I believe this won't work, it requires power and the OEM cable doesn't supply it.
          I had to purchase the standalone iPod cable http://www.resourceit.com.au/MMCS/products.htm in order for this to work.

Comment

• smej
            • Nov 2012
            • Sydney

Tried one of those, didn't work. Even with the resourceit cable to power it.

I suspected that MMCS expects a complete ipod connection, not just analogue ins.

Interesting that it worked for you Fraal.
            MY12 Plat II diesel auto, factory rear locker, tow pack, spare wheel lift, MMCS override, Tunelink audio steaming & too many plans and not enough $

Comment

• Fraal
              • May 2012
              • Alice Springs

I get audio passthrough ok, I use a 30pin Bluetooth adapter (http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/1210...PriceItemTypes ) and pair my iPhone5 with it, the MMCS doesn't like it and errors with 'Please reconnect you iPod..' but I can use my phone to choose music at least!

In the end I think ill just buy a refurbished 4th Gen iPod touch and keep it in the glovebox, if it manages to connect to my Wifi at home while in the Garage then I can just Music Match the music to it, relatively self-sustained!

Comment

• sajan
                • Nov 2012
                • Craigieburn

If you have the original iPod accessory cable installed then I believe this won't wor

Hi Guys,
                I got the airbeatz bluetooth adapter and tried it straight way. To my disappointment, it didn't work. First I connected the OEM cable and it didnt work. So I had to connect the power adapter (from ebay) to get it fired up. But still the ipod connection in the system is greyed out. Bad luck and I wonder how Fraal got it working. I read the ipod cable from Keith is something which you used. Could you plz confirm that there is no others mods required for the bluetooth adapter to work.

Thanks Heaps
                Sajan

Comment

• sajan
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Craigieburn

Guys,
                  Just an update to the above post, I found something interesting yesterday. MMCS will stream music through bluetooth if the bluetooth connection is active. What happened was, I was on a call through the MMCS bluetootch and I accidently turned on the tunein radio and I heard the music from MMCS through bluetooth. Strange... Looks like the bluetootch connections needs to be active to get the music through MMCS...

Any thoughts...

Cheers,
                  Sajan

Comment

• grobinson
                    • Jan 2010

I'm with Sajan. Picked up my VR-X Paj with the MMCS three weeks back and have paired:
                    - iPhone 4 mobile
                    - iPod Touch 32GB
                    - Telstra Urbane (ZTE T22) mobile (teenage son's).

The system lets you pair one as a media player and one phone as a phone. I've managed to stream music via Bluetooth from all three at various times. As you could imagine, teenage son doesn't like listening to parents' music if he has friends in the car too so we change over on the fly using voice commands.

Usually I have the iPhone 4 and iPod touch set as mobile and player concurrently. iPod Touch is connected by cable too so can be accessed either a Bluetooth audio or as iPod.

Grant

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X