• Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

MMCS: Very Disappointed!

Hi all,

We purchased a Pajero Activ last week, and are happy with the car apart from this POS they call a Navigation System. The whole MMCS is a real let down and lacks features that should be considered standard in 2012. Like USB support, decent GPS Algorithms, BT Music streaming and a whole host of other annoyances. I sent the below email to Mitsubishi but am not hopeful of a response, just had to air my grievances.

Hi,
    We recently purchased a Pajero MY12 Activ. One of the reasons we bought this car was the SatNav MMCS system as standard.
    I can't believe how bad the SatNav system is! Did anybody actually do any testing with this software? My $15 Metroview on the iPhone routes better than this! Honestly it is that bad it is unusable.
    I am extremely disappointed with the MMCS as a whole, not only the very poor SatNav, but also lack of BT Music functionality is mind boggling, c'mon guys the year is 2012 and I can't stream BT Music or even charge my iphone when it is plugged in without a special adapter! Not to mention all the other restrictive limitations imposed when the car is moving.

This is simply not good enough in a car that costs over $60,000!
    The rest of the car is great, but the MMCS has really soured the deal! Surely you guys can do better than this? How about a firmware update that improves this system, is this on the cards or even possible?

I now find myself in the position of looking at an aftermarket system after only owning the car for one week as it is that bad.

I have been reading every post I can hoping for a firmware hack for the MMCS, but looks like this is not going to happen and I am not even sure it's possible with the Australian version of the MMCS?
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
  • Silver Streak
    Valued Member
    • May 2010
    • Adelaide. South Aust.

Yep, not much, is it?? If it didn't come standard with my NT Platinum and knowing what I do now, it would be the last option I'd be getting. The only good thing is, that it's a screen there for the reversing camera, which i would never do without now. SatNav is a bit ordinary, isn't it?
    Plenty on the site about replacing it with another double din setup from Pioneer or Clarion etc. I'll let you do the search, although plenty on here will chime in once they see your post. Welcome to the site anyway and enjoy your new purchase, I love mine.
    Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
    Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• MSF
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2009
      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Did you test drive the Pajero before hand ??
      Did you test the SatNav before you bought the car ??

Comment

• rifi1
        • Jan 2008

buy the override kit from Ozhummer and you will be a happy camper like me.

Comment

• GrahameL
          • Mar 2012
          • Caboolture, Qld

Have a look at this thread

Grahame
          SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by MSF View Post
            Did you test drive the Pajero before hand ??
            Did you test the SatNav before you bought the car ??
            Of course we took the car for a test drive, but it's a bit overwhelming to be expected to test all of the MMCS functions on a test drive! I was concentrating more on the car itself.

Just expected better from an incar SatNav system! How on earth it works out I need to go around the block and then back onto the same road I was on is beyond me. I have only used it on roads I know so far and it has come up with some really weird routing options, which gives me no confidence in using it for navigation. V17 Disc is the one I got with the car, but I wouldn't expect V18 would improve the routing issues.

I have looked into the Ozhummer kits, but don't think they will fix the routing issues, still be good though to have the options to change settings etc on the move. Funds are tight at the moment, so will have plenty of time to research the alternatives as suggested on this forum.
            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• likatiger
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • WAMBERAL NSW

Can't agree more Steve, the MMCS leaves a lot to be desired for a $60K plus car, my little and old Navman does a better job.

Having said that and despite it's shortcomings, I have found the nav part of it "reasonable" once you can over come the "lack of" user friendliness of the system.

The after market ones that others have replaced the MM one with sound great however, one of my reasons for buying this Paj was the "expected to be" you beaut "all in one" MMCS and it's a difficult pill to swallow to spend ??? to replace it.

Maybe this Ozhummer thingy will be an improvement.

Larry
              NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• CharlieDontSurf
                • Mar 2010
                • Melbourne

2013 models get usb connectivity but dont know about the mapping
                2008 Red NS VRX diesel manual, rear diff lock, 6 airbags, rear air, ARB deluxe bar with fog lights, OME suspension lift,Red Arc Remote Head Brake controller, Reverse Camera, ASL automedia iphone cable, Bury system 8 hands free kit, Rola RBXL crossbars with Rhino SQR and Thule Proride bike racks, weird ass half Hayman Reece/half Mitsubishi towbar? Outback Sturt Camper Trailer

Comment

• likatiger
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • WAMBERAL NSW

Well, I guess that's a start of improvements.
                  NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Jenko67
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Brisbane

agree, it is a pile of #$@%!!!!
                    2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2000
                      • Tasmania

Given that you can buy a unit with BT, CD, DVD, GPS,BT audio, Digital TV, usb & sd music for $500 , the POS that Mitsu dished up is disgraceful & they ought to hang their heads in shame.!
                      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• MSF
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I wasn;t having a go at you, just asking the question.
                        When we were looking at a new Pajero, I took it for a 30km test drive, spent almost an hour looking in and around the vehicle, stuff like....

How hard was it for my wife to fold up the seats
                        how good is the stereo
                        how easy to use and effective is the HVAC
                        how crap is the sat nav etc.

I have the same opinion as you of the factory Pajero system - it's still WAAAY better than the POS system in the current HSV Clubsport R8. I just had the displeasure of driving 3,500km in a new R8 Wagon from Sydney to Adelaide and back - The satnav is pathetically laggy and you are past your street before the map catches up....

Comment

• DiDExceed
                          • Jul 2011
                          • Kuluin, QLD, Australia

Not having a dig at the Pajero, (I'd love an NW) but we picked up our 2012 camry atara SL the other week and I must say I'm impressed with the system they have, it's a 10 spkr JBL system, the nav is superb, voice activation which I was skeptical at first, works terrific, my iPhone connects instantly via Bluetooth and music streams from where it left off even if you played a diff song while you were out of the car.
                          I only wish I could find something as good to put in the NP cause the Chinese one I have is crap now lol

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1

Comment

• Goodsy
                            Who ya gunna call....
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Hervey Bay

I just use my mobile. Free satnav. Nice voice too.
                            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• stevemc181
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                              I just use my mobile. Free satnav. Nice voice too.
                              I use the iPhone docked in a TomTom cradle in my VE Commodore plugged into the aux input socket of the stereo it works far better than the MMCS even if I use the Metroview GPS app instead of the TomTom app!

I got sick of the cradle losing suction on the dash, so it's now superglued on there

I am thinking as a work around on the Paj, I might set up my iPad on one of those floor mount type setups. At least then I could also run the Hema 4wd maps app when offroad!
                              I have too many other accessories I want to fit, like Snorkel, Lift Kit, Bullbar, Winch before I upgrade the MMCS. We bought the Paj as a long term project as we are going to spend the next few years getting it set up the way we want for an around the world trip when we eventually retire.

I guess I expected more and was a bit taken by the WOW factor when I first saw the MMCS, then the reality of how much it sucks set in. Like any new purchase, I guess the novelty will wear off and it won't bother me so much. The rest of the Paj is great so far and can't wait to get it dirty!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X