• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ozzz
    • May 2019
    • Brisbane

rusty parts

Hi guys

I was trying to fit some plates and I found my new paj had few rusty parts. I ordered rust proof before delivery. And on the first 1500km service dealer didnt update me with this. Shall I be worried? Thanks
    Attached Files
    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Rust proofing wouldn't include those parts.

Fairly normal to see rust like that on new cars - nothing to worry about - just get it dirty & you won't see it ever again! If concerned, mention it to dealer at next service & get it noted.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Ozzz
        • May 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.
        I will not fully rely on the rust proofing. If I plan to travel there, I will give my paj a good bath after. I guess my paj got these rust before the spray, so cant confirm if it works so far
        My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post
            When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.
            I think these dealer sold & pushed rust proofing's & paint protections are A bit like magic fairy dust & sold for profit alone, opinion only.

Cars are actually made for quite corosive environments in countries that squirt salt on there roads, cold climates etc.
            A lot of manufactures use treated zinc plated panel materials etc & thats why you dont see rust buckets like yester year, won't stop rust completley, but certainly slows it down. Pajero from NS memory only has Aluminium bonnet as well, I think to reduce weight.

Raw steel flanges, engine manifolds, exhaust systems, brake rotors always rust, the best treatment would be undercoat & paint, but most likely maybe its not painted as its A mating surface.
            It will not cause any problems, will just go rusty surface colour & thats all.

Squirt under car with this few weeks prior to corrosive travel

Shop for Rust Treatments and save with Automotive Superstore! Get the best price, fast shipping and genuine parts to your door.

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 07-10-19, 04:48 PM.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

My response when a dealer tries to sell me paint protection or rust proofing is "so this new car you are trying to sell me is going to rust because it isn't rust proofed and the paint won't last?" - the topic changes very quickly! Dealers often make more money/profit out of these "products" & dealer finance than the actual car, which is why they try to push them so hard.
              A dealer said to me recently that they wouldn't reduce the price because I was paying cash, not using their finance!
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• MARKx4
                • Dec 2015
                • Penrith

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                I think these dealer sold & pushed rust proofing's & paint protections are A bit like magic fairy dust & sold for profit alone, opinion only.

Cars are actually made for quite corosive environments in countries that squirt salt on there roads, cold climates etc.
                A lot of manufactures use treated zinc plated panel materials etc & thats why you dont see rust buckets like yester year, won't stop rust completley, but certainly slows it down. Pajero from NS memory only has Aluminium bonnet as well, I think to reduce weight.

Raw steel flanges, engine manifolds, exhaust systems, brake rotors always rust, the best treatment would be undercoat & paint, but most likely maybe its not painted as its A mating surface.
                It will not cause any problems, will just go rusty surface colour & thats all.

Squirt under car with this few weeks prior to corrosive travel

Shop for Rust Treatments and save with Automotive Superstore! Get the best price, fast shipping and genuine parts to your door.

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m
                Same goes with ceramic coating, you can get it done for half the price of a dealer at any quality detailing place.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by MARKx4 View Post
                  Same goes with ceramic coating, you can get it done for half the price of a dealer at any quality detailing place.
                  Yeah worked for Zupps in Pre delivery for A stint 20 odd years back, I get it.
                  Add to the pile, Pre delivery charges?
                  How much profit do you tthinks made there?
                  Last car invoice I seen 2019 was A Nissan Navara ute pre delivery charge $3000.

Car dealers don't make money out of new cars apparently, but one thing i've come to notice over the years they certainly don't work out of tin sheds

Not bad for A not for profit business
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ozzz
                    • May 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m

Thanks for that, I will get the spray

Dealers they do their best to earn money, I get it. But they can only play one time ripping off trick on us. Years ago I was shopping a 4x4, a jeep dealer did a rude introduction, then I never come back.

Comment

• gas55
                      • Apr 2015
                      • Port Macquarie

Had a 2001 Prado which was second-hand and came fitted with an electronic rust prevention device. That car went to Fraser Island many times and to beaches all over Aus. in 2007.
                      Had a new windscreen fitted in 2012 with not a sign of rust.
                      That device is now in my NW Pajero, still going 18 years later with no rust ANYWHERE.
                      I'm convinced!

Greg.
                      Last edited by gas55; 10-02-21, 09:23 PM.
                      Greg

Comment

• Ashman
                        • Dec 2016
                        • Sydney

I saw a Roothy video a while back, the best action is to get under there and coat everything in lanolin or something similar.

Comment

• averhamme
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Belgium

Where is the time my car looked so pristine !
                          Now 480.000 still going strong, few rusty places but dirty +++++ :-)
                          Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
                          Some 480.000 km.

Comment

• farcanal
                            • Mar 2010

Rare to see body rust on any modern car.
                            I remember back in the late 70's Holdens, Falcons and Valiants seemed to rust in the body at some stage.
                            Anything out of Japan just didn't rust back then and certainly extremely rare now.

Comment

• darcy123
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2019
                              • Northgate

Rust

I dont wanna prolong your agony, I can refer you to an EXPERT.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X