Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Generation 4-4 Pajero (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   rusty parts (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=65487)

Ozzz 07-10-19 10:10 AM

rusty parts
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys

I was trying to fit some plates and I found my new paj had few rusty parts. I ordered rust proof before delivery. And on the first 1500km service dealer didnt update me with this. Shall I be worried? Thanks

spot01 07-10-19 10:17 AM

Rust proofing wouldn't include those parts.


Fairly normal to see rust like that on new cars - nothing to worry about - just get it dirty & you won't see it ever again! If concerned, mention it to dealer at next service & get it noted.

Ian H 07-10-19 12:34 PM

Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.

Ozzz 07-10-19 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian H (Post 617728)
Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.

I will not fully rely on the rust proofing. If I plan to travel there, I will give my paj a good bath after. I guess my paj got these rust before the spray, so cant confirm if it works so far:dunno[1]:

erad 07-10-19 01:59 PM

When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.

Jasonmc73 07-10-19 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erad (Post 617741)
When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.

I think these dealer sold & pushed rust proofing's & paint protections are A bit like magic fairy dust & sold for profit alone, opinion only.

Cars are actually made for quite corosive environments in countries that squirt salt on there roads, cold climates etc.
A lot of manufactures use treated zinc plated panel materials etc & thats why you dont see rust buckets like yester year, won't stop rust completley, but certainly slows it down. Pajero from NS memory only has Aluminium bonnet as well, I think to reduce weight.

Raw steel flanges, engine manifolds, exhaust systems, brake rotors always rust, the best treatment would be undercoat & paint, but most likely maybe its not painted as its A mating surface.
It will not cause any problems, will just go rusty surface colour & thats all.

Squirt under car with this few weeks prior to corrosive travel

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/valvoline-5013-94

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m

spot01 07-10-19 04:47 PM

My response when a dealer tries to sell me paint protection or rust proofing is "so this new car you are trying to sell me is going to rust because it isn't rust proofed and the paint won't last?" - the topic changes very quickly! Dealers often make more money/profit out of these "products" & dealer finance than the actual car, which is why they try to push them so hard.
A dealer said to me recently that they wouldn't reduce the price because I was paying cash, not using their finance!

MARKx4 07-10-19 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 (Post 617757)
I think these dealer sold & pushed rust proofing's & paint protections are A bit like magic fairy dust & sold for profit alone, opinion only.

Cars are actually made for quite corosive environments in countries that squirt salt on there roads, cold climates etc.
A lot of manufactures use treated zinc plated panel materials etc & thats why you dont see rust buckets like yester year, won't stop rust completley, but certainly slows it down. Pajero from NS memory only has Aluminium bonnet as well, I think to reduce weight.

Raw steel flanges, engine manifolds, exhaust systems, brake rotors always rust, the best treatment would be undercoat & paint, but most likely maybe its not painted as its A mating surface.
It will not cause any problems, will just go rusty surface colour & thats all.

Squirt under car with this few weeks prior to corrosive travel

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/valvoline-5013-94

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m

Same goes with ceramic coating, you can get it done for half the price of a dealer at any quality detailing place.

Jasonmc73 07-10-19 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKx4 (Post 617764)
Same goes with ceramic coating, you can get it done for half the price of a dealer at any quality detailing place.

Yeah worked for Zupps in Pre delivery for A stint 20 odd years back, I get it.
Add to the pile, Pre delivery charges?
How much profit do you tthinks made there?
Last car invoice I seen 2019 was A Nissan Navara ute pre delivery charge $3000.

Car dealers don't make money out of new cars apparently, but one thing i've come to notice over the years they certainly don't work out of tin sheds :dunno[1]:

Not bad for A not for profit business :beer[1]:

Ozzz 07-10-19 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 (Post 617757)

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m


Thanks for that, I will get the spray:beer[1]:

Dealers they do their best to earn money, I get it. But they can only play one time ripping off trick on us. Years ago I was shopping a 4x4, a jeep dealer did a rude introduction, then I never come back.


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.