• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HAMISH2020
    • Mar 2020
    • Victoria

New member Tyers

Hi All, first time Pajero owner, recently purchased a 2012 3.2 l auto with 176000ks. I am the 3rd owner and it is in very good condition. Yep its previous owners have been kind. Really the only thing I have to do in the near future is to replace the tyres. And that's the reason for this entry. I am a 95% bitumen traveller so what is a good suitable tyre.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

If you want to have a the most comfortable and quietness tyre's then stick with a passenger construction tyre in factory size and a HT tread pattern.

There are dozens of options to chose from, quality tyres last longer and perform better so expect to pay $250 to $350 a tyre but there are regularly specials of buy 3 and get the 4th for free. Stick with well known brands and not the cheaper imports, as these tyre's often have a short tread life and very poor handling and braking characteristics. Cheap tyre's are a false economy!

Search by tyre size online to see the range available, Tyresales, Tyrepower, Jax, Tyroola all have this function. Once you narrow your codices down to 2 or 3 then post on the tyre sub-forum for specific feed back on your selected tyre's.
    Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• damo03
      • Dec 2012
      • Newcastle NSW &Melbourne VIC

I'd Second Old Jack. Unless you are driving on significant amounts of dirt stick to a HT (Highway Terrain) as it will grip better on tarmac especially in the wet, and be quieter than a All Terrain.

The odd dirt road will be fine just like it is for any sedan driving on a dirt road.

Stick with major brands and avoid any cheap tyres as you will compromise quality, and safety.

I'd look at well known and established brands such as: Bridgestone, Goodyear, Dunlop, Yokohama, Pirelli, Hankook, Kuhmo, Falken, GT Radial, BF Goodrich.
      2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

• WHID
        • Oct 2019
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by damo03 View Post
        I'd look at well known and established brands such as: Bridgestone, Goodyear, Dunlop, Yokohama, Pirelli, Hankook, Kuhmo, Falken, GT Radial, BF Goodrich.
        Does this imply that Toyo is not such a good brand? Just askin', as these came as standard on my MY19 PS.

Cheers . . .
        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by WHID View Post
          Does this imply that Toyo is not such a good brand? Just askin', as these came as standard on my MY19 PS.

Cheers . . .
          Nothing wrong with Toyo, Cooper, Mickey Thompson or any of the other well known tyre brands.

Most tyre's fail prematurely because they are either the wrong tyre for the job required or if they are correct tyre they are being run at the wrong tyre pressure, incorrect suspension setup and/or driven too hard. No tyre is indestructible!

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• no_brainer
            • Feb 2015
            • Sydney NSW

I run Hankook RF10 ATM as my daily driver in stock 265/60/18. Great for about the first 70,000km then they got a bit noisy. Just replaced them after 95,000km. Still had tread left above the indicator but the noise was getting bad and a little slippery in the wet.

I replaced them with the same as I could not fault them. Bitumen, gravel, sand light-medium off road, ice and snow were all solid. In that size in Sydney I picked them up at $189 a corner which is pretty damn good IMO.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by no_brainer View Post
              I run Hankook RF10 ATM as my daily driver in stock 265/60/18. Great for about the first 70,000km then they got a bit noisy. Just replaced them after 95,000km. Still had tread left above the indicator but the noise was getting bad and a little slippery in the wet.

I replaced them with the same as I could not fault them. Bitumen, gravel, sand light-medium off road, ice and snow were all solid. In that size in Sydney I picked them up at $189 a corner which is pretty damn good IMO.
              You cannot complain about 95,000kms out of a $200- $250 tyre. All tyre's get slippery and noisy in the last 25% of their tread life. If these tyre's cost $1000 to replace the set then tyre's have cost you $10.52 per 1000 kms travelled, if you get 10litres per 100km fuel economy and fuel is $1.50 a litre then fuel costs for 1000kms is $150.00, that is almost 15x the cost of tyre's!

If the value of your insurance excess is $500 then this is more than 5x more than the calculated value of squeezing an extra 10,000kms out of your tyre's. Worn and old tyre's increase yours stopping distance by several metres at 60kph, several metres is the difference between stopping safely and having a serious accident.

I know it is legal to wear tyre's down to the tread wear indicators so there is 1.5-1.6mm of tread depth but changing them when there is 3mm of tread depth is a much safer practice.

Has anyone tried the new Hankook RF11, these are a HT/AT hybrid tread pattern than should be a better wet weather and quieter tyre than the RF10's?

OJ.

Comment

• wazznt
                • May 2015
                • Western Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Has anyone tried the new Hankook RF11, these are a HT/AT hybrid tread pattern than should be a better wet weather and quieter tyre than the RF10's?
                OJ.
                I have had the RF11's for a few thousand ks now,I would say they are a fairly quiet tyre ,the only downside from highway tread that I had on before them is they throw more stones.
                The other downside was the limited size range at the time, but that may have improved by now.
                NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by wazznt View Post
                  I have had the RF11's for a few thousand ks now,I would say they are a fairly quiet tyre ,the only downside from highway tread that I had on before them is they throw more stones.
                  The other downside was the limited size range at the time, but that may have improved by now.
                  Throw Stones, that's nothing, try ST Maxx tyre's and you will know about stones being thrown up.

OJ.

Comment

• wazznt
                    • May 2015
                    • Western Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Throw Stones, that's nothing, try ST Maxx tyre's and you will know about stones being thrown up.

OJ.
                    Yep well I wont be needing a set of those any time soon
                    NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X