• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ravens
    • Jan 2013
    • Singapore

Pajero NS , blinking CD light solved

Hi guys ,

Recently I had the infamous Center diff light flashing, I have managed to solve it, so if you have the same issue like mine, chances is that you have the same faulty item. hope this solution will help someone out there too.

Issue :

1 ) CD light will flash if driven for 20 - 30 km in 2WD
    2 ) 4WD no issue at all, no matter how long I drive it
    3 ) fuel consumption is the same whether in 2WD or 4WD

Solution :

- Yellow dotted soleniod is faulty . This is located in engine bay , right hand side wheel arch . You will see 2 solenoid , one with dotted with blue paint and one with yellow paint .

Steps to diagnose to confirm its the solenoid that is faulty :

1) start the vehicle and next get under the car, move back the boot cover covering the actuator shaft.

2) get someone to shift between 2WD to 4WD . make sure you are engage in N , with handbrakes and brakes on , just in case . ( if solenoid is working, the shaft should move about half an inch when lever is selected from 2WD to 4WD and vv )

3) if shaft does not move , chances is that the yellow dotted solenoid is not working.

4) turn off the vehicle, head back to the 2 solenoid , connected to each solenoid is a rubber hose with yellow line marking and the other with a blue line marking.

5) swop this 2 hose

6) now start the vehicle again and head back down the the actuator shaft , get someone to shift from 2WD to 4WD again. If the shaft move now, it is affirm that one solenoid is faulty .

7) now all you need is to buy a new set of solenoids from MM. Part number 8657A031 and have it replaced

8) turn off the vehicle now and remember to swop back the hose you swop earlier on.

9) if upon starting the vehicle in 4WD, and you have the front 2 wheel flashing, don't worry. Drive the vehicle out for a little while , it should stop blinking and 4WD light will light steadily

As the yellow solenoid is always used if you drive in 2WD, it has a tendenacy to break first compared to the blue one . Pajero is designed to drive in 4WD in dafault, thus if you always drive in 2WD, the soleniod has to work everytime you turn on your vehicle, reason being, once you switch off your vehicle , a spring in the actuator will jump the system back to 4WD.

The part which you purchased comes in 2 solenoid ( blue and yellow ), so you might want to use one solenoid and keep the other one as a spare instead of changing out both.

Hope this helps
  • Silverfox
    • Apr 2010
    • Adelaide

Thanks for the info Ravens.
    Whilst my Paj doesn't have this issue its great that you share this type of info with the forum.
    Thanks again

Comment

• Ravens
      • Jan 2013
      • Singapore

No worries ! I have learned a lot in this forum too. It's just a little effort to hand down this knowledge . So anyone whom have this issue can diagnose this out first before spending big money on other non faulty items

Originally posted by Silverfox View Post
      Thanks for the info Ravens.
      Whilst my Paj doesn't have this issue its great that you share this type of info with the forum.
      Thanks again

Comment

• steveandviv
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Broome

Glad it fixed yours. I have the same issues and have tried two solenoid packs and it did fix the issue so I live with it. I've changed the entire system and have run out of ideas.
        2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• hoffmonster
          • Jan 2010
          • south australia

flashing center diff lock

hi there ,my veichle is a 04 np diesel i ended up removing each detection switch from transfer box and cleaning and then testing them with multi meter.3 out 5 failed. soaked them in wd40 while operating them,all came good.also done the same with mates petrol nm model,but ened up being the small plastic gearbox on transfer shaft. the small motor had seized up,freed it up with some wd 40 .p.s. trickey taking cover of gearbox lots of plastic gears in side . my freind is a mechanic, told him about it and he has done one as well as above with sucess. you still need to check front solonoids as part of system.all 3 veichles had been in water one the system 4wd had not been used for some time.soo it pays to use it weekly. hope that helps regards hoffmonster.

Comment

• gary-s
            • Feb 2013
            • Perth

The solenoid is basically a coil so you can put your multimeter across it and if it wont bell out on continuity or reads open circuit on resistance you can be pretty sure its stuffed. Should read around 30 ohms if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Ravens
              • Jan 2013
              • Singapore

Hi guys,

Yes using a volt matter to test each solenoid is a good idea before heading out to buy a new set.

As commonly expected, it's the yellow solenoid that is likely to give way, but mine is the blue solenoid that is faulty.

So it's good to go thru step by step to determine what is your problem

Originally posted by gary-s View Post
              The solenoid is basically a coil so you can put your multimeter across it and if it wont bell out on continuity or reads open circuit on resistance you can be pretty sure its stuffed. Should read around 30 ohms if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Ravens
                • Jan 2013
                • Singapore

Oh and remember to check every single vacuum hose leading from the solenoid all the way to the bottom of the car.. Make sure all hose is free from bents.

I remember after I read my solenoid, the actuator shaft don't seems to work correctly sometimes, which I trace back and found one rubber hose is bend restricting vacuum from passing thru

Comment

• steveandviv
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Broome

Yea, checking the hoses for me as well but I can live with it, it doesn't effect the car any but think there must be a small leak some where. Too bloody hot to muck around at the moment.

Done all the transfer case switches and checked them again.
                  2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jords
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Kellyville Ridge

Old thread I know but I got the flashing CD light this arvo but what also came up on the dash was the TC light (pic of car with swerve lines) and the ASC OFF light. No engine codes no slow down just those three lights
                    Turn car off then back on all ok tried all modes and drove in them all then went home.
                    Just wondering if everyone was also getting the other two lights as well as the flashing CD light?
                    Or is it something more sinister?
                    2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• myth
                      • Apr 2019
                      • victoria

This might be of use https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/paje...-clutch/13892/

Comment

• Albe4x4
                        • Nov 2016
                        • Spain

Hi!
                        Very useful, center diff lock blinking light in my pajero in 2wd when 30km is runing. i have to change the solenoids too. 8657A031 part
                        thank you.

Comment

• ceevuu
                          • Jun 2016
                          • New Zealand

Hi Guys, New Zealand new .....2008 NS Pajero, intermittent CD light flashing when in 4wd Hi...

ordered 2 lots of vacuum switches MM part number from Aliexpress.....
                          as the first unit had different electrical connectors....
                          ie - I , WRONG one...

ordered the - - type connector...

connectors are correct layout but my mechanic tried to hook them up, said they still didnt match, the pins in the unit are too small....

anybody had this issue....
                          is the genuine MM unit the only way to go...
                          Thanks in advance... great forum

Comment

• aussieintas
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sorell, Tasmania

Have a look at Partsouq.com, put in you VIN and check for part numbers there.
                            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• ceevuu
                              • Jun 2016
                              • New Zealand

Many thanks... I have purchased the correct part.... time to revisit my mechanic.... :P

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X