• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoffreyjohn
    • Apr 2016
    • qld

Battery Charger

Hi All, looking to install a portable battery back in the back area (connected via Anderson plugs) and looking for your collective advice on chargers. I like the Thumper battery Pack (http://www.thumper.com.au/ and it comes with a charger which can be connected to the starting battery. I am aware of the fact that the PS has a variable current (low voltage) alternator but there seems to be some debate about whether or not a smart charger is needed (as against a solenoid, cable, and diode) - see attached article: http://www.home12volt.com.au/uploads...e_charging.pdf and
    Voltage Sensitive Relay, VSR, Dual Battery Systems, Redarc smart start, Enerdrive VSR, battery isolator, 12 volt, deep cycle battery, gel battery, AGM battery, dual battery, DC-DC

So totally confused. I don't want to overload the alternator or the starter battery. Any advice appreciated.
    Might also look at charging the battery in a camper trailer but wonder what the best way to do this would be.
  • Jizza
    • May 2016
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by geoffreyjohn View Post
    Hi All, looking to install a portable battery back in the back area (connected via Anderson plugs) and looking for your collective advice on chargers. I like the Thumper battery Pack (http://www.thumper.com.au/ and it comes with a charger which can be connected to the starting battery. I am aware of the fact that the PS has a variable current (low voltage) alternator but there seems to be some debate about whether or not a smart charger is needed (as against a solenoid, cable, and diode) - see attached article: http://www.home12volt.com.au/uploads...e_charging.pdf and
    Voltage Sensitive Relay, VSR, Dual Battery Systems, Redarc smart start, Enerdrive VSR, battery isolator, 12 volt, deep cycle battery, gel battery, AGM battery, dual battery, DC-DC

So totally confused. I don't want to overload the alternator or the starter battery. Any advice appreciated.
    Might also look at charging the battery in a camper trailer but wonder what the best way to do this would be.
    I was advised by many that you need either the Redarc unit of the Projecta IDC25, so I went the Projecta route.

Shop prices are up to $400, Ebay had a 10% off special and I grabbed one for $252 delivered. Have installed but not connected as yet.

Dont know if this helps at all

Comment

• Swoffa
      • Mar 2016
      • Sydney

I'm very interested to hear what the knowledgeable people have to say about this...

I'm in the same predicament as you. I own a Thumper Elite 80AH (and can't rave about it enough) and I want to charge it via an Anderson connection in the cargo area but I've been told by an auto electrician that I need a DC/DC charger installed also.
      If I was going to fork out for a DC/DC charger then I may as well just install a second battery under the hood instead, but I'd prefer to use the Thumper as it's portable and great for jump-starting big diesel engines (I bought it to start my previous Grand Cherokee each day that NRMA struggle to jump)

Hopefully it's as simple as connecting it straight to the battery, which is how I had it connected in my Jeep.
      Last edited by Swoffa; 16-08-16, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• green troll
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Adelaide

Before you do anything have you monitored your charging voltages. I see 14.2/3/4 so have no need for a DCDC.
        For more info search on here for drivesafes posts. Very informative.

Comment

• KeithG
          • Aug 2016
          • Woodcroft, SA

Hi, I had the Home of 12 Volt at Mount Barker check out my Pajero Sport and they said I definitely needed a DC/DC charger. They installed a Projecta IDC25 in my caravan. I also had an Projecta 600 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and connection for portable solar panels (unregulated) installed.

Comment

• cookie monster
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

I checked my alternator voltage and with no lights on it was up and down all over the place.
            Turn your lights on and it's a steady 14.2ish (from memory). This is good enough for me to keep my 100 ah battery charged.
            I just put the 240v charger on it when I get home and it doesn't take long to top the battery up to fully charged.

Cheers Cookie
            2015 Pajero Sport GLS, White, Factory Snorkel, ProRack HD Roofrails & James Baroud Espace Evo RTT, ARB Awning, Custom Aluminium Drawer System, 65L Waeco, GME TX3500, Bridgestone Dueller LT's, Donaldson Pre Fuel Filter, ARB Compressor, King KCRR-23 rear springs & Pedders 5899 Cone Springs.

Comment

• green troll
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by KeithG View Post
              Hi, I had the Home of 12 Volt at Mount Barker check out my Pajero Sport and they said I definitely needed a DC/DC charger. They installed a Projecta IDC25 in my caravan. I also had an Projecta 600 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and connection for portable solar panels (unregulated) installed.

Did you ask why you needed one???

Comment

• Poita
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • Adelaide

Of course you would in your caravan for to potential voltage drop over that length of cable.
                In your car is another matter as voltage drop is pretty much negligible.
                NW VRX MY2013
                Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• glycerin
                  • Sep 2010
                  • Newcastle, NSW

I have just used my C-TEK D250s DC-DC Charger and instead of connecting to the Alternator input, I connected the 12V feed to the "Solar Input" as this input is designed to handle variable voltage inputs. Charges 105AH battery perfectly.
                  2016 Pajero Sport GLS - Cooper STMaxx 275/65R18, The Ultimate Suspension 2" Lift, Polyairs

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                    • Dec 2015
                    • W.A

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                    I have just used my C-TEK D250s DC-DC Charger and instead of connecting to the Alternator input, I connected the 12V feed to the "Solar Input" as this input is designed to handle variable voltage inputs. Charges 105AH battery perfectly.
                    Another cheaper way is solar charging to a 100 amp/hr deep cycle , after a 7 week trip found out it will run our 40 ltr Engal on fridge 1 as long as there is a little sun indefinitely , on freeze 3 it needs full sun most of the day to take it through the night.
                    100 watt flexible panel 3m/m thick plus controller to 100 amp battery .

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                      • Dec 2015
                      • W.A

s
                      Last edited by sandgroper 123; 16-12-16, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                        • Dec 2015
                        • W.A

see edit https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ighlight=solar
                        Last edited by sandgroper 123; 17-08-16, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• OldPS
                          • Mar 2016
                          • Batemans Bay

My PS once the starter battery is charged ( usually within a few minutes ) the voltage to the battery drops below 12.7 V , if you turn on parkers ( or headlights) the voltage stays at 13.9V . If you need a DC/DC charger in the back or the car make sure its the LV ( low voltage ) ones . If you are going to charge a battery in a caravan etc thru an anderson plug and only want power to the anderson plug when engine running , the isolator must be able to handle the low voltage as well . Mine is the redarc one (installed before I knew about VOA 's ) so I drive with the parkers on when towing . cheers

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

I spoke to Thumper and as their system connects the batteries the alternator sees it as a single battery needing charge so they recommend try first without a DC/DC charger and retrofit if needed.
                            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• greig
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • kanwal

Hi, I had the Home of 12 Volt at Mount Barker check out my Pajero Sport and they said I definitely needed a DC/DC charger.
                              Sad how some places that should know their stuff are really just salesmen !

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X