• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smccask
    • May 2008
    • Perth

Gen4 pajero LS1 V8 conversion

Hey all, I just picked up an NS the other day to replace the trusty old NH. I'm going to transplant the GM LS1 v8 and 4spd and NH transfer from the old paj into the NS. I definitely want to keep the safety features and I'm looking through the manuals to see how this can be done. Does anyone have any experience or links around engine conversions for NS pajero that might yield info on retaining various subsystems (such as ASC, EBD, SRS)?
    - Simon
    NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
    RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Originally posted by smccask View Post
    Hey all, I just picked up an NS the other day to replace the trusty old NH. I'm going to transplant the GM LS1 v8 and 4spd and NH transfer from the old paj into the NS. I definitely want to keep the safety features and I'm looking through the manuals to see how this can be done. Does anyone have any experience or links around engine conversions for NS pajero that might yield info on retaining various subsystems (such as ASC, EBD, SRS)?
    WOuldnt think so Simon, you are the pioneer here remember! Just make sure you post it up on here though
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• smccask
      • May 2008
      • Perth

Just thought I'd check...no fun in re-inventing the wheel.

First few mods done... get rid of the shoddy factory headunit and the power windows lockout.
      Attached Files
      - Simon

Comment

• Hatto
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Mandurah WA

Looking forward to reading about this adventure of yours. Well done for having the balls to pioneer something like this.
        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Hey mate, what vintage is your LS motor? Not sure of the rules over there but pretty sure over here you cant put in a motor that pre dates the car in to.
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• smccask
            • May 2008
            • Perth

Yeah i have to cross that bridge still. I have heard of this rule but not sure on it's validity. The 2005 LS1 i have is essentially equivalent to a later model in terms of emmissions etc, so hopefully i can negotiate that.
            - Simon

Comment

• dwright74
              • May 2008
              • Mulgrave, Victoria

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
              Hey mate, what vintage is your LS motor? Not sure of the rules over there but pretty sure over here you cant put in a motor that pre dates the car in to.
              That's True for Victoria as well
              07 NS 3.2 X SWB with towbar, 17' Steel rims, Bilstein Shocks and Lovell Springs, Gun Metal Grey, ARB front and rear lockers, reduction gears, ARB colour coded deluxe bullbar, custom rear storage.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Not sure about NSW, but I think that NSW does not allow engines bigger than 10% greater capacity (not power) than original fitment. The different engine number would be a dead giveaway as well.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
                  Not sure about NSW, but I think that NSW does not allow engines bigger than 10% greater capacity (not power) than original fitment. The different engine number would be a dead giveaway as well.

Can always be engineered.

Son in law had a 46 ford four door on a Mitsubishi L 300 chassis with a 350 in it. Fully engineered and road legal. Funniest thing was it's registered as a Mitsubishi L 300.

Comment

• smccask
                    • May 2008
                    • Perth

Put in a switch to turn traction control and ABS off when offroad. I do a fair bit of pea-gravel driving here in WA and in my experience ABS can get you in trouble on that surface. Also has the benefit of dropping out TC for fun and control. SPDT switch cuts the signal from the rear diff lock switch (in diff) from the ATSC module (shown in pic) and instead switches the ATSC input to earth. So the ATSC thinks the RDL is on. Works sweet! All the lights come up on dash so easy to see when you have the switch set.
                    Attached Files
                    - Simon

Comment

• smccask
                      • May 2008
                      • Perth

Also i tried a little experiment today... disconnected the PCM from the CAN (see pics). This makes the car as though another engine was installed. Predictably the ASC and TC brought up lights... assuming because they could not negotiate throttle commands to the PCM. However ABS kicked on without fault and no other issues from the car. Obviously the data console on dash didn't have any data..but no real loss there. Car beeps a bit more at the start. Engine light up, but I'll be rewiring that to the LS1 PCM anyways. So worst case with the LS1, i have no TC or ASC but do have ABS. Relieved. But i think i might be able to make a gateway between mitsi CAN and ls1 PCM using arduino and CAN interface board.
                      Attached Files
                      - Simon

Comment

• rgrubby
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by smccask View Post
                        Just thought I'd check...no fun in re-inventing the wheel.

First few mods done... get rid of the shoddy factory headunit and the power windows lockout.

Hi
                        Interesting project, good luck with it.

What is the problem with the power windows lockout?
                        2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

Silly Q
                          Why the NH Tcase and not the NS one?
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• smccask
                            • May 2008
                            • Perth

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                            Hi
                            Interesting project, good luck with it.

What is the problem with the power windows lockout?
                            I mean the one that gives u 30sec after ignition off, if u don't open a front door. Now they open any time. Child lockout button still works
                            - Simon

Comment

• smccask
                              • May 2008
                              • Perth

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                              Silly Q
                              Why the NH Tcase and not the NS one?
                              I need to be able to adapt a GM engine+gbox combo to a transfer that will work in the paj body. The NH one works because AdvanceAdaptors do an adaptor kit for a transfer that was used in a jeep that was fitted with Aisin-Warner V4AW3, same as paj. It does limit me to 4 speed Gbox tho. I'll have to do some more research to see if there are any options to keep NS transfer and/or go 5/6 speed gbox.
                              - Simon

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X