• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyN
    • Feb 2020
    • Tayvallich

Retrofitting rear diff lock into 2005 NP

Hi,

First thread on here, hopefully someone can help.

I've git hold of a rear locking diff from a 2003 nm. I have a 2005 np 3.2did I've done some research and I'm hoping someone can confirm that I'm correct.

Can I just fit the diff, i.e will it fit, will the driveshafts and propshaft bolt straight up?

I have the pump and switch and I'm going to wire alot hat in with out the ECU so I can choose when I want it locked.

One last question does anyone know which pin on the instruments control the rear diff light? Or does any one have the wiring diagram for the instruments?

Thanks
    Andy
  • AndyN
    • Feb 2020
    • Tayvallich

So I've taken the instruments out and tested the circuit board with a multimeter and the rear diff light takes its power from the low range light. So I can't just wire into the connector to get the light working. I'll have to isolate and wire directly to the bulb to get the light working.

Comment

• Pixie_au
      • Apr 2019
      • Queensland

I have no idea about this but if you're putting in a switch to operate the lock independently why not just have the switch illuminate when lock is on?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

He is going for the factory look.

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

Check the diff ratios.
          Has been other talk on here about diff swaps recently.
          Search with google.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• AndyN
            • Feb 2020
            • Tayvallich

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
            He is going for the factory look.

Correct, I figure if the locker light is there it might as well be used. Plus I would rather have the light in the cluster than down by the switches, it's just more noticeable.

Check the diff ratios.
            Has been other talk on here about diff swaps recently.
            Search with google

The diff ratio is all correct, 4.100, I have the manual box so it's a direct swap diff, as fair as I can tell the driveshafts should bolt straight up but I suppose I won't know till I get the chance to fit it.

Comment

• El_Freddo
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2018
              • Bridgewater, Vic

I’ve fired up a few old threads about fitting a factory diff lock from a later model pajero.

There is confusion around the need for a shorter drive shaft on one side. Yet I cannot for the life of me find different part numbers to confirm this.

The best I’ve heard is that the locker shafts are thicker.

If yours came from an NM, can you pls pop the companion shafts off and take measurements and pics of the spline length that engages internally with the diff locker?

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...rear-diff-lock - Retrofitting factory diff lock (Into the NT model)

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles/generation-4-1-pajero/40168-retro-fit-a-mitsubishi-rear-diff-lock - Retro fit a Mitsubishi rear diff lock (posted 2014 - NS model in question)

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...tory-diff-lock - Factory Diff Lock (posted 2008 - NS model)

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles/generation-4-2-pajero/24922-factory-diff-lock-from-wrecked-pajero - Factory diff lock from wrecked Pajero (posted 2012 - NT model)

As you’ll find, there’s a lot of speculation in those threads. My guess is that it will all bolt in, but everyone gets the driveshafts with them “because that’s the done way”. It’s also a bit different to your situation with the NM diff locker.

The arb unit is installed in the factory open diff setup - so housing and shafts don’t change. But then you need their air compressor etc. I’m keen to build my Pajero without arb products - I’m sick of the attitude that is Landcrusiers and Patrols or nothing. So closed minded. Anyway, my issue.

Where did you source the diff locker from, local to you or imported?

As for the dash light, if it gets its power from the low range light, it’s most likely negative switching. Typical for an ECU - which is probably what controlled the rear diff lock indication light.

Cheers

Bennie
              Last edited by El_Freddo; 01-09-21, 03:06 PM. Reason: Updated links
              2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• AndyN
                • Feb 2020
                • Tayvallich

I got the diff from a wreckers years in Ireland, I'm in Scotland. Yes I figured the dash light would use a negative switch, unfortunately with the circuit track as it is it can't be powered untill in low range, but that's no bother I'll just give it a separate circuit.

As for removing the companion axles, I'm not sure how they come out, I think they have an internal curclip, and I've no plans on opening the diff casing, so sorry no can do.

All the research I've done indicates there was only one rear driveshaft part number on the nm through to the no models, but like you I have heard there are different lengths. All I can think is this comes from the latest models v80 and v90s having different shafts, they no longer have the companion shaft in the diff so the drive shaft is longer to compensate, at least that's what the EPC shows. I suspect the diffs from the nm would fit a later model but they may have changed the spline count on the shafts.

Andy

Comment

• El_Freddo
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Bridgewater, Vic

Hey Andy, being in Scotland you’d have an abundance of lockers for the NM/NP that we didn’t get over here.

I’m looking at a later model locker.

The companion shaft is all I want to see pics of if possible. No need to crack open the diff case to do this. A good yank on a pry bar between the diff housing and the companion shaft should have it out easy. To replace, use a rubber mallet to get the circlip past the splines, then tap it home.

I’d really appreciate if you could do this for me!

Another question: do your tail lights on either side of the rear door have indicators and brake lights operational? I’m after a set as in Oz ours are dummies, they’ve only got reverse lights in them. I could get a set of NS shorty units but I don’t like the look of them!

Cheers mate!

Bennie
                  2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• AndyN
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Tayvallich

I'll have a look today to see if I can pop one out.

As for the rest lights, no mine are the same just reverse lights and rear fog lights everything else is in the bumper lights, if you ever find an option to move indicators to the body lights I would be interested. Never really liked them being in the bumper only.

If you want any help to get a nm diff exported out there I would be happy to help, not sure how much it would cost though. Your right though there are plenty over here. Did you guys not get the rear locker in the NM then?

Andy

Comment

• El_Freddo
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Bridgewater, Vic

Thanks Andy!

I’ll keep you in mind if I can’t work out this later model locker. Gut tells me to just do it as it will work. My wallet says we can’t afford a paperweight of that size if it doesn’t work out.

Thanks for the info on the tail lights. I’ve found these on ebay and was sitting on them before pulling the trigger. Should’ve done it with the tax return, the bloody things have strangely become more expensive! You’re closer so I dare say they’ll be cheaper to get to you than to me.

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

• AndyN
                        • Feb 2020
                        • Tayvallich

There is 33 splines ( the same as the no companion shaft)
                        And the total length from the face to the end of the splines is 140mm

The companion shaft inside is the same as the NP shaft, however the bolt pattern to the drive shaft is wider so I had to swap the companion shafts over from my open diff to the locker, fortunately they are interchangeable.

Managed to get the diff fitted today but I had to stop short of replacing the oil and setting up the pump etc.

Hope all that help Bennie.

Andy

Comment

• El_Freddo
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2018
                          • Bridgewater, Vic

Legend Andy!

That’s the best info I’ve found/heard/had supplied so far! The use of the verniers was a great idea and paints an awesome picture of what’s needed.

And thank you for the info on the difference in the locker’s companion shaft and the open’s companion shaft.

Now to find out if the companion shafts fit the later model’s locker. I don’t see why they’d change a proven design. Time to pull some companion shafts and visit the seller! Hopefully it’s still there in a few weeks (it’s a 3hr one way drive from me).

Thanks for your time Andy!

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

• AndyN
                            • Feb 2020
                            • Tayvallich

No problem Bennie, happy to help. Hope you manage to find what you want and that the shaft are interchangeable, I would think they are though, I had a look online and found the newer shafts are 33 spline and the race is still 55mm diameter so the only difference could be the spline diameter and the length.

Andy

Comment

• polvo
                              • Nov 2020
                              • Port Macquarie

Hi guys how did you go with the diff lock I have a 2005 NP 3.2did auto & was looking at a rear diff lock but there is a lot of different info out there. Would one of these
                              https://www.autopartsco.com.au/harro...-rear-19~17668 fit with the stock diff?

Cheers Kye

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X