• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

Ceap and effective carby cleaner

Was visiting a friend today and he had his son's thumpster in pieces for an overhaul.
    As you can imagine, these cheap toys are not designed to be user friendly when it comes to fixing.
    Several parts needed more than just quick rinse, including the carby - or what they thing the "fuel mixer" should be.
    Never seen such a bad design...
    Anyway, cleaning with the usual stuff did not do it, especialy the areas you can't really reach with a brush.
    My friend gave up and started to clean the exhaust the classic way with a wire brush and I said: I quickly go in the kitchen and after that I sandbalst your carby.
    No reaction but a stpid look on his face as he had a compressor but no blasting stuff.
    To get a quick blaster for sensitve material all you need is air (compressor is good), a blow out gun with a long tip and some PVC tubing that has at least twice the diameter as the nozzle.
    Cut a hole in the tube, about 6cm from one end and stick the blow nozzle in so there is still about 4cm of tube left.
    The other end of the tubing goes into a box of baking soda and your blaster is ready.
    Being soda it is not really abrasive so it can't damage any soft material in the carby and bein water soluble the cleaning is easy to.
    For the exhaust we later used sand from the sand pit but needed to replace our cheap nozzle system as few times as the pvc tubing did not like the sand, but for a quick job it was good enough.
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder
  • lizard
    • Mar 2010

SAND SILICA will kill you just as fast as asbestos

Comment

• chriso of penrith
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2013
      • emu plains

Originally posted by lizard View Post
      SAND SILICA will kill you just as fast as asbestos
      X2
      Ive done sandblasting and spray painting on n off for 12 yrs.
      using sand is illegal under work cover and epa regulations.
      Never ever use sand to last with.
      crushed glass is ok.
      garnet.
      steel slag.
      steel shot.
      soda.
      but never sand.
      That stuff is as bad or worse than asbestos.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X