• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mashupss
    • Feb 2014
    • Perth

Is this noise NP timing chain?

Hi all,

I just did an oil change on the Paj and on start up I noticed a tapping from the engine. I am not sure how long the noise has been present as i closed the bonnet and could barely hear the noise. I have attached a link to a video on my Google drive. Any help would be appreciated because I'm out at work and at least 3hours from home/city. Not sure if it's safe to drive.

Cheers.
    2005 NP 3.2 DiD, 2" Lovells (HD/SD), Gabriel shocks, MT Baja ATZ P3 265/75R16, ARB bull bar, dual batteries
  • rykiel575
    • Sep 2017
    • Sydney

Im assuming you changed the oil and filter correctly?

When was the upper timing chain guide and the chain tensioner replaced?
    2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• mashupss
      • Feb 2014
      • Perth

Hi rykiel,

Yeah it was a regular oil change just normal Deisel HPR15 and ryco z372 filter. The upper chain guide has not been replaced as far as I know. At least not since 200k km. Now on 290k. Could it cause the noise above? If so I will take the cam cover off and check. The noise isn't as rattly as I would have thought a timing chain would be, thats why I thought to ask.
      2005 NP 3.2 DiD, 2" Lovells (HD/SD), Gabriel shocks, MT Baja ATZ P3 265/75R16, ARB bull bar, dual batteries

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Personally I can't see the rattle being a result of the oil change unless the level is a bit low. You did allow a bit extra for the filter didn't you ?

Perhaps the noise has been there for a while and you've just noticed it while you've had your head under the bonnet fiddling about.
        Go have a Merlot, and check your oil level tomorrow.
        Last edited by Lance; 08-01-19, 11:58 PM.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

You can stick a mirror down the oil filler hole to see the top guide. Wise to have a look.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            You can stick a mirror down the oil filler hole to see the top guide. Wise to have a look.
            An old dentist mirror can be useful for this type of job, although I would change the top guide on any NP DID unless it had already been replaced with an upgraded one.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• mashupss
              • Feb 2014
              • Perth

Thanks guys.

So I checked the oil this morning and if anything it is overfull by about 5-8mm. Which might be too much oil. Anyway I started her up and there was no noise. I gave it some revs, turned off restarted still nice and quiet. So I drove into work and when i got there lifted the bonnet and then the tapping noise was back. Work is only 1km away so it only just starts getting temperature on the gauge.

I will have a look at the timing guide tonight, even if i have to take the cam cover off. Probably should have done it ages ago.

But although the noise is horrid, wouldnt the timing chain be noisy even when the engine is cold?

I might even take a bit of oil out just to eliminate that as well.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Simple things first - when were the tappets last adjusted?
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• saj
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Northern Nsw

Hi mashupss,

What oil did you put in??

edit: Nevermind i just saw above
                  2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• mashupss
                    • Feb 2014
                    • Perth

Spot I haven't had the cam cover off since i have owned it. At least last 80k kms. I think I will be looking at tappets tonight as well then. Hopefully its not too difficult! I will post back findings...

Comment

• mashupss
                      • Feb 2014
                      • Perth

Does anyone have the 4M41 engine manual with the valve clearance adjustment procedure? I can only seem to find the 11B section of the manual which doesnt have it in there. Goodsy did a write up which looks ok, but I would prefer the manual. Cheers

Comment

• Muzza
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Nsw

Had a listen to video, sure as sounds like a tappet
                        As too vlave adjustment
                        Dont turn engine backwards
                        No 1 on comp TDC ( no 4 will have tight vlaves on overlap) adjust no1 valves
                        No 3 on TDC ( No 2 will be tight on overlap adj no 2 valves
                        No 4 on TDC ( No 1 will be tight and on overlap adj no 4 valves
                        no 2 on TDC ( no 3 will be tight and on overlap

Valves setting
                        Intake .1mm or 004"
                        Exhaust .15mm or 006"

Remember dont turn engine backwards, follow arrows on cam gear
                        Muzza
                        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Nab
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Perth

I agree, it does sound like a tappet noise. Before you adjust them get a rocker gasket and top chain guide from Mitsubishi, you will prob need them when you do the valve clearances.

Easy job to do if you’re mechanically minded, can’t imagine there is anything in the manual that isn’t in goodsy’s write up. If there is I’m sure it won’t make any difference on a 13yr 300,000km motor hahaha!!!👍
                          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• rykiel575
                            • Sep 2017
                            • Sydney

Also check to see you get the revised guide and not the original part design.

Google 4m41 manual should come up
                            2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• mashupss
                              • Feb 2014
                              • Perth

Thanks guys, and thanks for that info Muzza.

I borrowed a work car and got a new top timing chain guide with the part number in Goodsy's guide. And I also got a rocker cover gasket in case it needs changing, and some new feeler gauges.

I think Goodsy's guide turned the camshafts clockwise but they are supposed to turn anticlockwise (opposite to the crankshaft). I will make sure I look at arrows on the gears. Might not get it done until tomorrow night now, but I will update on how it goes.

rykiel I checked the manual and they dont have tappet adjustment, it has camshaft removal but no adjustment or specs. Seems pretty straightforward though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X