Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Hot Spots: SA (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Tracks in SA? (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=30559)

Rhys Lawrie 06-04-13 01:06 AM

Tracks in SA?

hey i'm new to 4wdriving and cant go touring to Flinders etc. does anyone know of any tracks around Adelaide. in the hills is preferable. and could you let me know how difficult the track is. thanks heaps guys.

dryzoned 06-04-13 07:01 AM

we are always learning. :-)

try some sand driving on Goolwa beach out to the Murray mouth.
or a steep descent and ascent to Deep Creek.

cheers.

Nab 06-04-13 01:54 PM

Try Peak, about an hour out of Tailem Bend. Was $10/car when I last went there 3 years ago, awesome sand hills on private property. Also allow camping and fires. Need to book in advance.

Not sure if Morgan quarry is still active, last I heard the council fenced it off. That had good rock climbs and ruts.

sub888 06-04-13 03:09 PM

SA= the fenced of state. Very few places to go unfortunately. :mad:

Peake is fantastic. Is now 15 per day includes camping for the night. Very hard to get a weekend as car clubs and bike clubs book it out well in advance. I have a couple of days booked in the school holidays if you or anyone else is interested pm me.

Morgan quarry has been closed for 12 months due some moron suing the council. You can still get access if you are in a 4wd club and I have a application in with council at the moment. :)

Last time I was down deep creek late last year the tracks down to the beach were closed. Not sure if they still are.

Places to go are pretty guarded for fear of them being closed in south Aussie.

old Jack 06-04-13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nab (Post 282686)
Try Peak, about an hour out of Tailem Bend. Was $10/car when I last went there 3 years ago, awesome sand hills on private property. Also allow camping and fires. Need to book in advance.

Not sure if Morgan quarry is still active, last I heard the council fenced it off. That had good rock climbs and ruts.

Peake is always booked out most weekend by 4wd clubs so you can not get in on weekends, you can get in mid week but would recommend that there are at least 2 or even better 3 4wds if going to Peake as it is easy to get yourself into serious trouble if you are a novice.

Morgan Quarry is open on a restricted basis through 4wd clubs only.

Saunders Gorge is a pay & drive on private tracks about an hour from Adelaide.

The Bridle Track is a free track near Port Pirie that runs through to Melrose.

Coorong, just south of Salt Creek, is Tea Tree and 42 mile crossing great fishing spot and some beach and dune tracks, another 2 hours south is Robe :)

A few of the Adelaide Forum guys are of to Moonta for a meet & greet 4wd day trip soon which is open to all forum members.

Best option is to look at joining a 4wd club if you are a novice, they offer training and someone to help when you get stuck.

cheers, old Jack.

Rhys Lawrie 06-04-13 04:16 PM

thanks heaps guys. lots of help :)

jamesl186 06-04-13 08:13 PM

i also would like to know of some places in adelaide other then goolwa beach or pt gawler

Calspec 06-04-13 09:29 PM

You could try enquiring through ForestrySA about access to the many Forest reserves in SA - I am sure there would be some great tracks in amongst them. Check the 4WDSA website as well.

MickSA 06-04-13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sub888 (Post 282697)
SA= the fenced of state. Very few places to go unfortunately. :mad:

Peake is fantastic. Is now 15 per day includes camping for the night. Very hard to get a weekend as car clubs and bike clubs book it out well in advance. I have a couple of days booked in the school holidays if you or anyone else is interested pm me.

Morgan quarry has been closed for 12 months due some moron suing the council. You can still get access if you are in a 4wd club and I have a application in with council at the moment. :)

Last time I was down deep creek late last year the tracks down to the beach were closed. Not sure if they still are.

Places to go are pretty guarded for fear of them being closed in south Aussie.

I am a team leader with the friends of deep creek. The track down to the blowhole is rarely closed and is open nearly all year around. The only time i have struck it shut was when it needed to be graded. The road down to boat harbour is seasonal. It is normally closed from autumn to spring.

sub888 06-04-13 10:54 PM

That's good to hear micksa. I believe it was a obnoxious weed that was the problem late last year. Hopefully they got it under control.
Glad the tracks down are open and not permanently closed.