• Show
Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

33s on a PB Challenger

Hey guys,

does anybody have or know of anybody that has 33s on their PB Challenger.

I am looking at a second set of rims and tyres, and looking at upgrading.

Something along the lines of a Mickey Thompson Side biter rim in a 16x8 zero offset, and a Mickey Thompson 285/75/16 MTZ tyre.

If somebody has or knows of anybody with a 33 on their Challenger, can you pls post a photo.

Rob
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
  • RMX
    • Apr 2011
    • Melbourne

Fun510 on here has 33's on his Challenger..

Only pic I can find is:

Details here: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...6&postcount=37

I'm also looking at 33's and looking at running the same size rubber.

But a 0 offset rim would put the rubber well beyond the guard I reckon, Unless you were to look at a spacer.. I admit I haven't actually measured it up, But I reckon it would be pushing it.
    The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

*Click links above to be taken to each build post*

Comment

• LukeS
      • Mar 2010
      • Brisbane

Im very tempted to put 33's on my challenger.. Im just concerned about the low range gearing.
      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• 4wd26
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

33" tyres on zero offset (triton but share the same front guards etc)
        I had a real good look at this vehicle over the weekend- as to fit 33" on the zero offset is not as easy as fitting and everything is ok.

you will need- to cut the plastic inner guard lining
        push back the pinch weld that is now exposed
        may have to cut the lower edge of the pinchweld
        remove the lower mudflaps

BTW- I know this because 34" simex are going on my triton next week
        but I'm going to stick with +15 offset rims- won't quite have the stance, but will stay inside the guards and hope to reduce the need for drastic cutting.

note on stock offset 33" tyres fit no worries, it is all about the increaded radius as you turn, more offset moves the tyre out of the wide part of the guard and into the pinch weld area.

having a good look at what needs doing- note no mud flap and sand up the side. I already have fabed up some "conveyor style" mud flaps
        ML triton with some accessories
        National E Trek Libary
        Getting Out There

Comment

• 02-SR5
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • Toowoomba

so, will a 285/70/17 fit on the standard rim with no rubbing?
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• 4wd26
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

yes- being a 7.5" rim the 285 width is acceptable.
            standard offset is +38.

Fun- is running steel rims 17x8 in the +30 offset close enough to stock to not be a problem.

I created a wheel bible for the triton that I will copy across to this forum.
            National E Trek Libary
            Getting Out There

Comment

• 4wd26
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

Triton and challenger wheel offset bible
              National E Trek Libary
              Getting Out There

Comment

• fun510
                • Feb 2010
                • Port Stephens NSW

Guys - you are spot on the 33s (285/70/17 MTZ) can be done with minimal problems. Wheel offset is everything!

30P involved a bit of trimming of the mudflap for me, but many tritons seem to get away without this?
                Just shows how each vehicle can be a little bit different. Always measure based on your own vehicle and work our what you are willing to modify. Even wheel aligment (Camber/castor) can make a difference.

I will have the 33s back on in a week or two I will see if I can get a few more detailed pics of clearance up! Please be patient as I will be heading away until after school holdays
                2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• 02-SR5
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Toowoomba

That would be good mate,

I would like to run 33s as a second set of wheels. I am going to run a second set of factory 17 inch alloys, but I dont want to touch or modify anything to make them fit as this is our daily driver.

Rob

Comment

• jimsiron
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Mildura, gateway to the outback

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                    That would be good mate,

I would like to run 33s as a second set of wheels. I am going to run a second set of factory 17 inch alloys, but I dont want to touch or modify anything to make them fit as this is our daily driver.

Rob
                    Rob,
                    Have you priced the factory alloys, I have heard they are very dear?
                    regards
                    Jimsiron
                    2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• dimmo
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Radelaide

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                      That would be good mate,

Rob
                      I've just bought a set of 6 16x7 sunnies, so I'll have 5 factory alloys for sale very soon (17's from a 2011 LS). ATM, they're complete with the OEM highway tyres, 6500 km old.
                      I looked at getting a 6th alloy, but was quoted over $700 each.
                      If you're interested, PM me and we'll might be able to strike a deal.

Comment

• dimmo
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Radelaide

For those interested: Pics here of 265/75R16's on ROH sunnies. (16x7 P30 offset)

Comment

• 4wd26
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

new tyres have arrived- (next to my worn 32" Goodyear MTR kevlars)
                          just need to fit them up and make some adjustments to the guards (if required)
                          245/85/16 simex centepeeds (measure 845mm diameter) fitted to 90 series Prado alloys (16x7 +15 offset)
                          National E Trek Libary
                          Getting Out There

Comment

• Marty V
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Cranbourne, Vic

So how are you guys getting insurance? I recently put a set of 22" alloys on my wifes car and all the insurance companies wanted to know was if they were legal... I looked up the Vic Roads website because I knew the rule used to be that you couldnt go bigger than 2" above the largest wheel offered by the factory (in this case 17"). But the new rule didnt mention this and only stated that the overall rolling diameter had to be within 1.5cm of the original factory spec and the with within 2.5cm of the width... So the wheels I had were ok... How would you go with these tyres that are so much bigger? Are you not worrying about telling the insurance companies or are they ok with it and if so which company are you using?

Comment

• fun510
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Port Stephens NSW

VSI 50 would make 33s legal on a pb, by my understanding. I know it is not approved yet.

It would be nice to know where we stand in NSW as there has been too much speculation on the vehicle regulations for too long! The tyre shops down here don't help with this grey area either, as they will fit whatever you ask for without question or advice. (As long as you are not being too silly)

Interestingly in QLD my father has tried to go from 31s to 32s on his PB challenger. 4 tyre shops refused to fit them stating it was illegal. Whilst I think the QLD limits (15mm) are ridiculous, I do agree that the qualified premisis should not knowingly fit illegal modifications to road registered vehicles. At least everyone knows where they stand then.

I am insured with Shannons. They give no technical guide lines. They just state must be legal. They will insure an unlimited list of modifications/extras though.(I have heaps) Unlike most others.

The 32s on a lifted challenger look so small and unassuming, I doubt anyone would pick them.
                              I only run my 33s on occasion so I guess that's my own risk reduction.
                              2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X