• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garygls
    • Jun 2007
    • Rockhampton

Oil Change Today

Today I treated my DiD Pajero to an oil change of Delo 400 Multi grade oil. Up until now the engine sounded that their was noisey lifters & needed to be adjusted, even after a service from Mits it was still as noisey.

Thanks to the threads on this forum I've chosen the right oil & my Pajero doesn't sound like it's going to drop a lifter.
    Dual Battery
    80Ltr Waeco
    91Ltr Longrange Tank
    3" Lovells/Bilstein
    3” Exhaust
    Winch
    NP 05 DID
  • dolphin
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008

sounds like you have a noisey Tappet, no different engine oils will cure this your tappets need to be re adjusted correctly, preferrably by a deisel mechanic.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

DID has solid lifters. The adjustment procedure is fairly easy to follow if you think they are unduly noisy.
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• dolphin
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008

yes true, all deisel engines have whats called solid lifters compared to petrol driven engines that have hydraulic lifters unless like we did in the hot up car days of fitted solids ect ect . my reason for mentioning having a deisel mechanic adjust the tappets is many petrol guys adjust tappets by turning the engine over by hand until the say first tappet is free rocking and then they will adjust this with the feeler guage. the best way to adjust these are with the engine warm and running with the correct size feeler.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• peejay68au
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • nsw

Out of curiousity how much did you pay for the delo 400? I priced it at the caltex servo in Coffs Harbour and he wanted $42 for 5l.

Priced it at the local store in Glenreagh and I get it for $28.65 for 5l. The only problem is he only gets 3-4 containers of it at a time and takes forever to more in.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• dolphin
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008

these days you don,t buy oils from the servos unless you really need a top up, they rip you off something bad [ just like fuels ] one small example is i did buy a small container of 2 stroke oil from my local servo at $5.05 went to supercheap autos a few days later and noticed this same oil was $3.85. sorry i can,t say what your deisel oil costs but your supplier should get more in [ stock ]

Comment

• Muzza
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Nsw

Originally posted by psproule View Post
              DID has solid lifters. The adjustment procedure is fairly easy to follow if you think they are unduly noisy.
              Just a litle info
              The Pajero has roller followers, used for low noise and wear the setting is
              .1mm Intake and .15mm for exhaust
              muzza
              Muzza
              2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
              2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
              2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• marquis
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Newcastle

I have the old forum thread (pdf) with photos of the valve adjust - just PM me.
                --
                Marquis
                SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• psproule
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                  yes true, all deisel engines have whats called solid lifters compared to petrol driven engines that have hydraulic lifters unless like we did in the hot up car days of fitted solids ect ect . my reason for mentioning having a deisel mechanic adjust the tappets is many petrol guys adjust tappets by turning the engine over by hand until the say first tappet is free rocking and then they will adjust this with the feeler guage. the best way to adjust these are with the engine warm and running with the correct size feeler.
                  Not all diesels have solid lifters.

And you definitely do not adjust a DID with the motor running. As Muzza said - the term is actually roller followers and the clearance is adjusted one by one with a feeler gauge with the engine stationary.

Comment

• Garygls
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Rockhampton

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                    Out of curiousity how much did you pay for the delo 400? I priced it at the caltex servo in Coffs Harbour and he wanted $42 for 5l.

Priced it at the local store in Glenreagh and I get it for $28.65 for 5l. The only problem is he only gets 3-4 containers of it at a time and takes forever to more in.
                    peejay68au Hope your sitting down for this!!! I priced a 5Ltr $49.90 then a 20 Ltr drum for $153.60 so between the two evils I purchased the 20ltr drum.
                    Everything is priced over the top here, so next trip back to the coast I'll grab a few drums {lets hope its cheaper on the coast}
                    Dual Battery
                    80Ltr Waeco
                    91Ltr Longrange Tank
                    3" Lovells/Bilstein
                    3” Exhaust
                    Winch
                    NP 05 DID

Comment

• Garygls
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Rockhampton

these days you don,t buy oils from the servos unless you really need a top up, they rip you off something bad [ just like fuels ] one small example is i did buy a small container of 2 stroke oil from my local servo at $5.05 went to supercheap autos a few days later and noticed this same oil was $3.85. sorry i can,t say what your deisel oil costs but your supplier should get more in [ stock ]
                      Hi Dolphin, their isn't a Caltex depot here & I tried other out lets but no one supplied Delo 400 but the two Caltex's, hows this they are next door too each other, one a woolies Caltex & the other is a privately owned Caltex.The sign at the counter says don't ask for discount!!!
                      Hope its better that the Mits oil, but i think thats a safe bet.
                      Dual Battery
                      80Ltr Waeco
                      91Ltr Longrange Tank
                      3" Lovells/Bilstein
                      3” Exhaust
                      Winch
                      NP 05 DID

Comment

• peejay68au
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • nsw

Originally posted by Garygls View Post
                        peejay68au Hope your sitting down for this!!! I priced a 5Ltr $49.90 then a 20 Ltr drum for $153.60 so between the two evils I purchased the 20ltr drum.
                        Everything is priced over the top here, so next trip back to the coast I'll grab a few drums {lets hope its cheaper on the coast}
                        I pay $28.65 per 5l in Glenreagh, the store at Nana Glen has the 20l for $114. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal here and these are country yokel stores.
                        It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

$89 for the 20l drum of Delo 400 from our local Caltex fuel depot.

Comment

• dolphin
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008

this particular oil sounds to be quite cheap, hope its the good gear. with my petrol engine i pay around $60 for 5 litres.

Comment

• Garygls
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Rockhampton

this particular oil sounds to be quite cheap, hope its the good gear. with my petrol engine i pay around $60 for 5 litres.
                              Hi Dolphin are you in a remote area as well? or is the oil that you use, is the bees Knee's of oils? Wow I thought what I paid was a rip off, maybe I should do more research on oils!!!!
                              Dual Battery
                              80Ltr Waeco
                              91Ltr Longrange Tank
                              3" Lovells/Bilstein
                              3” Exhaust
                              Winch
                              NP 05 DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X