• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blutak
    • Oct 2013
    • Bunbury WA

100 amp alternator.

Killed the bearings in my factory 50A alternator.

Fortunately, Mitsubishi Electric makes a crap ton of alternators. Got a 100A one from a 6 cyl EF Falcon Ute.

You have to bore the pulley and spacer out from 15-17mm and fiddle with the alignment a little with washers to shim the thing in line with the other pulleys. Also it needs a shorter belt. When I get the correct size tomorrow, I will post it.

Also, if you do this, upgrade the wire that runs from the positive on the alternator to the battery. Preferably with welding cable. The factory one is not heavy gauge enough for 100A.

Now I can go back to having 100/130w headlights with my 130w spots and not have the battery go flat while I drive.
    Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
    Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
    Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.
  • fabo
    • Nov 2018
    • Busselton

Hey blutak, can you post a pic of your mods and model number of the alternator please...if i keep my 2.6 NB ill most likely want to upgrade the alt also...

Cheers
    Fabo
    Perth

Comment

• Blutak
      • Oct 2013
      • Bunbury WA

Originally posted by fabo View Post
      Hey blutak, can you post a pic of your mods and model number of the alternator please...if i keep my 2.6 NB ill most likely want to upgrade the alt also...

Cheers
      Fabo
      Perth
      Will do.
      Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
      Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

• fabo
        • Nov 2018
        • Busselton

Sweet as

Comment

• Blutak
          • Oct 2013
          • Bunbury WA

Originally posted by fabo View Post

Cheers
          Fabo
          Perth
          Phone died and I lost the pics. Doesn't matter though, it's an easy fit and it's any 6cyl Falcon alternator from EA to EF.

The only difficulty is that the pulley and spacer from the Paj alternator needs to be machined out from 15-17mm. I did it with a tapered reamer and a Dremel. Unless you are really experienced at bodging crap together, I'd recommend getting a shop to machine it for you on a lathe.

The only other drama is belt alignment. The holes on the alternator are M10 and the mount on the timing cover is M8. You need to use reducing bushes, similar to a roll pin, to get the thing mounted straight. The mounts on the alternator are spaced wider apart than on the original but you can use the spacers to compensate if you get nice long ones and cut them to size.

It is a bit of a fiddle but well worth it.

Comment

• fabo
            • Nov 2018
            • Busselton

Yeah sounds a bit too much of a fiddle, ive done enough fiddling in my short life, ha...
            What about the other option im only half got grasps on, the 85amp alt off a late 2.6 magna??? Is that right

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

if yo can take Gen 2 units several of those are 90 amp as is the gen 3 one I just fitted to my gen 2 - it needed the main bolt hole taken out to a larger size (10mm I think)
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• fabo
                • Nov 2018
                • Busselton

Doubt it or it would og been easy to find the info online.... Found a few options online, there is a 65amp one i found... Without any mods

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X