• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drof
    • Sep 2010
    • South Australia

Pajero Sport - Loves and Hates

So after having clocked up 5000kms, ~2000kms on dirt and towing and a bit of proper off road work, I thought I would share some initial feedback on my 'loves and hates' of the Pajero Sport. A lot are in comparison to my previous Challenger, which the Pajero Sport is really just an update of:

Loves/Good Improvements:
    - ESC off in low range! At last. This used to drive my nuts in the Challenger and nearly got me into trouble more than once when forgetting to turn it off again after stopping. It's now 'off' by default in low range, however, to turn it off in high range, you need to hold the button for ~3 seconds - I would have preferred to just be able to hit the button and disable it instantly (like the old one)
    - Good low range. Not sure what the reduction is, but feels a lot lower than the Challenger. 1st gear in low range will hold really well down very steep stuff. I like the selector dial for it's simplicity so long as it keeps working when needed...
    - Traction Control. For some reason the Challenger TC was never really any good. For anything serious, the rear diff lock was needed. The PS TC is at another level, and pulled us up and over things that I would have needed the rear lock on in The Challenger.
    - Interior noise and comfort. A big improvement on the Challenger, a much more refined place to be. However, I would still prefer fabric/cloth seats over leather.
    - Transmission. The 8 speed is a lot nicer than the old 5 speed. However, it does like jumping up gears for economy reasons, and means you're often found in a gear higher than ideal. The paddle shifters are very nice offroad.
    - Headlights. Much better at night time. Spot lights still a good option if doing lots of country night driving.
    - The electronic steering deserves a mention. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the older hydraulic steering, but it's really well weighted and feels great.
    - Apple Car Play/Head Unit. It's quite good.
    - Fuel Economy - much better in the new auto than the old one. The old manuals did very well though.
    - 5 star NCAP. Challenger was 4 star.
    - Rear roof vents/fans for 2nd and 3rd row. Good for the kids on hot days.
    - 5 year warranty.

Hates/Could be Improved:
    - The second row child restraints are on the rear roof right in line with the 3rd row seating position, which means if you're using child seats in the second row, you effectively can't use the 3rd row , so becomes a 5 seater!!! This is a gross oversight - the normal Pajero has the restraints in the back of the second row - a much better place.
    - 2nd and 3rd row seat design. In the Challenger the second row could slide back and forth, making for adjustments to leg or boot room - not possible in PS. I also don't like how the 3rd row seats take up so much room in the boot (both length and height). Would be nice to have an easy option to remove them like in the normal Pajero when not in use (they just clip out).
    - Factory sump guard. I honestly couldn't believe it was plastic when I took it off. Major fail from Mitsubishi selling a very capable 4WD with basically no under body protection. I've replaced with Custom Off Road plates.
    - Factory suspension tune. It's pretty rubbish in my opinion, even on road. The Challenger was maybe slightly better in factory guise, but not much. I put ultimate Suspension kits in both. The Dobinson springs/Ultimate shocks kit in the PS is awesome.
    - Roof rails. I would have preferred proper rails that are raised up for mounting onto rather than the tracked ones. The new ones look neater though.
    - Centre Console. It's not too bad, but seems unnecessarily large. I doubt the gloss black plastic will look great in a few years time.
    - 18" wheels. Silly. I thought 17" was bad enough, but 18" is not very practical offroad. I have put 265/65R18's on though to at least pick up some more sidewall height.
    - DPF. It's not that I don't like the DPF, it just means you can't tune as much power out of the motor. My old 2.5L was a lot more powerful than the 2.4L (both with remaps) as you aren't as limited with fueling. Also one more thing to block up or go wrong.
    - Rear visibility. It's pretty bad in the PS both out the back window and the rear pillar/side windows.
    - Stupid 'auto lock' of doors that doesn't unlock even when in Park by default. Easily fixed at service, but should be a different default setting.
    - Beeping beeps and blings. I don't know what's going on half the time. I'm sure there's a fuse somewhere I can pull to get rid of them though...?

Feel free to add your own impressions.

Drof
    Last edited by drof; 11-10-17, 05:08 PM.
  • bige
    • Apr 2010

The electronic steering deserves a mention. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the older hydraulic steering, but it's really well weighted and feels great.

that's because it is the same , its hydraulic not electronic

Comment

• ger08
      • Jan 2014
      • Perth

Great review and your thoughts are very similar to ours

Comment

• drof
        • Sep 2010
        • South Australia

Originally posted by bige View Post
        that's because it is the same , its hydraulic not electronic
        OK, didn't realise. This review is obviously wrong then... https://www.motoring.com.au/mitsubis...review-108141/

Comment

• Trilogy
          • Mar 2016
          • Bribie

The only dislike I would add is the fuel tank - ok for normal driving but too small when towing.

Cheers

Comment

• Jim-oz
            • Aug 2016
            • blayney

I would add as a plus -The Looks- particularly compared to 'the others'. Much more modern/stylish, evan the rear, i love it. Great review though.

Jim

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Jim-oz View Post
              I would add as a plus -The Looks- particularly compared to 'the others'. Much more modern/stylish, evan the rear, i love it. Great review though.

Jim

Comment

• flyboy
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2017
                • SA

A few design issues that hopefully Mitsubishi engineers will get improved in later iterations.

One thing they can’t be blamed for is the DPF. Mitsubishi would also prefer not to have them - better economy and less stuff to go wrong in warranty. But the emission laws must be followed so they can’t really be blamed for this.

Comment

• pajeromack
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • NSW

I agree that the PS fixed a lot of the major mechanical foibles on the Challenger (and Pajero) and Mitsubishi provided a schmik new cabin. The new auto, better low range and selectable traction control are especially nice.

A few points on improvements:
                  • DPF's are essentially compulsory with the latest EURO emission standards. Can't really blame Mitsubishi.
                  • Sliding second row seats was already deleted with the later Challengers. Cost cutting.
                  • Factory bash guards are always terrible with Mitsubishi, regardless of metal or plastic. Same story with the Pajero.
                  • 18" wheels are stupid on an off-road vehicle. Example of form over function.
                  • The tiny fuel tank is painful. They need to squeeze in another 10-20L.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2014
                    • Wellington,New Zealand

must try one.When i bought the pajero the dealer offered me a challenger to try.Didnt like it ,the ride was terrible compared to the pajero, i drove off from the dealer went about 200 metres ,then used a slip road to do a U turn to go back.
                    Be really interested in how the space actually is(i am 190 cm tall),and i would like to try the 8 spd auto(really a manual fan) The full chassis is also a plus factor for me because the attachment of "rated hooks" is somewhat easier onto a proper chassis.
                    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Jim-oz
                      • Aug 2016
                      • blayney

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                      must try one.When i bought the pajero the dealer offered me a challenger to try.Didnt like it ,the ride was terrible compared to the pajero, i drove off from the dealer went about 200 metres ,then used a slip road to do a U turn to go back.
                      Be really interested in how the space actually is(i am 190 cm tall),and i would like to try the 8 spd auto(really a manual fan) The full chassis is also a plus factor for me because the attachment of "rated hooks" is somewhat easier onto a proper chassis.
                      Are the hooks front and rear not 'rated' on the PS?

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • Wellington,New Zealand

Are the hooks front and rear not 'rated' on the PS?
                        dont know but our local 4wd drive club insist on the proper attachments of hooks like this

which is a bolt on job on a vehicle with a proper chassis as oppossed to a unibody like the Pajero.It has been a real saga on my pajero .
                        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Jim-oz
                          • Aug 2016
                          • blayney

OK, I THOUGHT I'D READ ON HERE THAT THEY WERE THE REAL DEAL, ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE??? AM IN THE PROCESS OF JOINING LOCAL 4WD CLUB AS WELL AND TOLD THEM THEY WERE.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2014
                            • Wellington,New Zealand

OK, I THOUGHT I'D READ ON HERE THAT THEY WERE THE REAL DEAL, ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE??? AM IN THE PROCESS OF JOINING LOCAL 4WD CLUB AS WELL AND TOLD THEM THEY WERE.
                            each club will be different.

Comment

• Xl76
                              • Mar 2017
                              • Perth

I would have to say The suspension handling and ride is atrocious.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X