• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul (SA)
    • Apr 2013
    • Australia

Catch Can on the Firewall

Hi guys.

Just want to know if anyone has installed their catch can using a bracket that is attached to the rear firewall, rather than the drivers side fender?

Would there be any issues attaching it there? I reckon there is enough space it is just a question of whether it is wise to attach a bracket there.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Paul (SA) View Post
    Hi guys.

Just want to know if anyone has installed their catch can using a bracket that is attached to the rear firewall, rather than the drivers side fender?

Would there be any issues attaching it there? I reckon there is enough space it is just a question of whether it is wise to attach a bracket there.
    Like this?

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
    Oil Catch can installed this arvo.
    Simple job. All parts provided including a custom bracket.
    I chose the HPD catch can as it is beautifully made and all Aluminium. Top quality product.

Having a snorkle it installs in a different position to the stock car.
    Nothing mentioned on the web site about there being a kit if you have a snorkle. Fortunately I dropped into their workshop to work out mounting location and found out.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Paul (SA)
      • Apr 2013
      • Australia

Exactly. I am not sure about the HPD though and am convinced a Provent world be a better option.

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

HPD look very bling, however what you are after is efficiency and ease of draining. I think the Provent wins. I have seen photos of another way of mounting the Provent a little like the HPD. I'll see if I can find the thread or you could search for Provent mounting and see what pops up.

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Paul (SA)
          • Apr 2013
          • Australia

Thanks James. I will look as well.

Comment

• DrewXT
            • Mar 2014
            • Melbourne

Provents are around 98% efficient, HPD around 42% in lab tests. A lot more filtration surface area in the Provent over the steel wool in the HPD as well...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Onslow
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by DrewXT View Post
              Provents are around 98% efficient, HPD around 42% in lab tests. A lot more filtration surface area in the Provent over the steel wool in the HPD as well...

Do you have a link to those lab tests? - was just about to purchase an HPD Catch Can.
              NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• 06PAJ
                • May 2017
                • Brissy

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                Do you have a link to those lab tests? - was just about to purchase an HPD Catch Can.
                Dont touch HPD ... a heap of ford ranger boys are having issues with more oil being in the discharge hose than what is in the can
                2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
                2014 NW 3.2L VRX
                Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• DrewXT
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                  I've seen a copy the reps carry, but they don't hand them out. The Provent clones on eBay are quite efficient also, but for the minimal price difference, might as well get the original...

Much easier to drain a Provent also, hose with a tap on it, rather than removing the whole bowl on the HPD.

I've washed my Provent element a few times in diesel as well to give it a bit more life... The elements aren't expensive, given the protection you get from running one

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    Yes.
                    It doesn't count because it's not a Provent?

Or are we saying that HPD doesn't work because of where it's installed?
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by DrewXT View Post

I would agree with that if in fact all the HPD has in it is stainless steel wool. I've seen tests several years ago on another multibrand forum in a long thread about catch cans. There was a guy on the forum who was an oil filtration R & D engineer and we got to talking about making various designs of catch cans from simple wool filled, foam filled, various compartment styles including helix/spiral channels etc with and without a filter medium and he had tests that showed how none of these worked very well at all at scrubbing the oil from the air. His suggestion was stick with a Provent or if you must make one incorporate the Provent filter. Whatever medium the Provent uses it is the most efficient at scrubbing oil. As a Sheetie I was always keen to look at making my own design and maybe flogging a few from time to time but after seeing the test data and explanation I just use Provents. They are well priced and definitely work. Only down side is the bulk and the annoyingly large fittings but then again the 200 is designed for much larger engines and there are some nice fittings now available to reduce down to pretty much all common hose sizes theses days. Far better than the reducer concoctions that Western Filters sell anyway.

Comment

• DrewXT
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Melbourne

We pulled an HPD out of a car the other day and replaced with a Provent.

The HPD had a two small pieces of a woven mesh in the inlet and outlet castings, and the can we pretty much full of an emulsion of oil and condensed water vapour. Maybe 1.5mm of oil slick to 30mm of water.

I've had a Provent in my current vehicle for about 3,000km and the elements are just starting to get wet, and the drain has no water in it. Got a customer with 7,000km on a Provent that hasn't yet filled the drain tube and cannister to warrant emptying it as yet. Hose is about 90cm long...

Same car, we replaced the intercooler for the customer, and it drained about 2 cups of oil sludge out. Vehicle had done about 65,000 from memory... Provent was fit at the same time, so with any luck his new intercooler will stay oil free

Comment

• Paul (SA)
                          • Apr 2013
                          • Australia

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                          Following with interest on the alternative mounting of the provent
                          Hi Vlad - I went and saw Cross Country 4x4 and they have offered to build a bracket and install on the firewall next week.

How about you contact them and ask if they can make a duplicate of the bracket they make for mine?

I will gladly put some pics up when I get the job done.

Comment

• vladguan
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Adelaide

Hi Vlad - I went and saw Cross Country 4x4 and they have offered to build a bracket and install on the firewall next week.

How about you contact them and ask if they can make a duplicate of the bracket they make for mine?

I will gladly put some pics up when I get the job done.
                            Cheers Paul,

Just ordered my catch can from WF eBay shop.
                            Please call me Vlad.
                            -----------------------
                            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X