Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Scorpro (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Expressions of Interest in a wheel bag kit? (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=57851)

nj swb 26-06-17 08:21 PM

Expressions of Interest in a wheel bag kit?

As per my thread here I can make frames that will space the rear cover out by 170mm, but a solution for cosmetic covers hasn't been forthcoming.

Recent experience obtained manufacturing the Paddle Kits has also led me to conclude I was naively optimistic with pricing of the kits - manufacturing in small batches, the frame set alone is likely to be closer to $150 than $100.

I have no idea how much a decent set of covers would cost, but if I can sell a batch of frames without covers I'm happy to re-invest any profit back into exploring more options for covers - but I can't offer any guarantees.

Who would buy a 170mm frame without covers? I'm not asking anybody to pre-pay - just some genuine expressions of interest, so I can determine if I should make a batch of frames, and how many.

Or are the existing kits destined to be limited edition collectors items? :cool:

nj swb 05-10-17 07:04 PM

On a recent trip across the Simpson with our host club :) I received a few enquiries about this product, so I'm looking at producing a batch of 10.

To refresh peoples' memories, the existing Limited Edition models (125mm frames) look something like:
http://scorpro.com.au/images/Bag_Fra...siqmtszux1.jpg

My plan is to produce 10 sets of 170mm frames and sell them with a wheel bag and covers, for $200 + freight.

At this stage, I have no idea how I will produce the covers, but will spend some money researching solutions - worst case, I'll wear out my 3D printer to deliver orders.

So, if this is to be the deal, is there any interest? :dunno[1]:

keenkean 05-10-17 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj swb (Post 564434)
On a recent trip across the Simpson with our host club :) I received a few enquiries about this product, so I'm looking at producing a batch of 10.

To refresh peoples' memories, the existing Limited Edition models (125mm frames) look something like:

http://scorpro.com.au/images/Bag_Fra...siqmtszux1.jpg

My plan is to produce 10 sets of 170mm frames and sell them with a wheel bag and covers, for $200 + freight.

At this stage, I have no idea how I will produce the covers, but will spend some money researching solutions - worst case, I'll wear out my 3D printer to deliver orders.

So, if this is to be the deal, is there any interest? :dunno[1]:

Thanks for sharing yet another project!

Put me down as interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pajero12 09-11-17 01:25 PM

I'm also interested

glsgls 10-02-18 07:23 PM

hey scott would be interested if it will fit a nx if not would be happy to let you take some measurements from mine thanks rob

nj swb 10-02-18 07:54 PM

Hi Rob, thanks for the offer, and apologies to those who have been waiting - I've been slack.

The underlying metalwork for a 170mm frame has been designed, but I haven't started the search for a covers solution - the profile of the cover is quite complicated, the last one was a lot of trial & error to get it to a point that came close, and I think a manufacturing solution will need to copy the profiles directly rather than measure and attempt to reproduce.

I'll bump this up my priority list.

CaptJimmy 11-02-18 06:24 AM

I'm definitely interested in at least one, maybe in two orders. Keep me apprised of how your travelling

NTX 11-02-18 11:54 AM

Interested for sure. I have my own bag though.

baida88 12-02-18 03:40 AM

also interested. i was looking at doing something like this but instead of a bag i was looking at making a maxxtrax holder and quick release type thing

nj swb 16-02-18 05:33 PM

At long last, some small progress. Files have been sent off to produce a batch of the metalwork, and I've handed over a spare plastic cover for a supplier to try matching the profile for some covers. He's fairly positive about the prospects, so fingers crossed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by baida88 (Post 574926)
also interested. i was looking at doing something like this but instead of a bag i was looking at making a maxxtrax holder and quick release type thing

Yep. I've also been considering a maxxtrax mount on the rear door, but I already have enough ideas I'm not working on. :o There is nothing to stop anybody using the space created by this kit for any other purpose.

Have you worked out how much space you need for some maxxtrax? My original 125mm spacer is very marginal for a rubbish bag, and would be worse for anybody with a tyre lift kit (depending on kit, uses about 20mm of the 125).

Presuming the worst case of 20mm lift kit and 170mm extension frame, that leaves 150mm of space. Would that be enough to slide in some maxxtrax? Two or four?