• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dards14
    • Oct 2010
    • Western Australia

Deceleration Noise

Hi everyone,

Just want to know if it's normal when I take my foot off the gas after acceleration, for a slight whistle noise (Not Loud) to come from the Challenger???New car, new noises I guess, but I did not notice it on the demo.
    You can?t hear it with the windows up, but it?s quite noticeable with them down.
    My 2005 triton had a slight whistle when accelerating, not decelerating.
    So I want see all the Challenger drivers hang their heads out the window on the way to work tomorrow?
    Cheers
  • Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

It's just the turbo mate, all good.
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• BigBloke65
      • Aug 2010
      • SA

Yeah I got that too. I think it sounds good actually!
      PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Black Challenger
        • Nov 2010
        • Perth

It would have to be the waste gate/blow off valve.
        2010 LS PB Challenger, Black Mica, 5 Sp Auto, ARB Colour Coded Deluxe Bar, ARB Underbody Protection Panels, IPF 900 Extreme Series Lights, IPF Clear Covers, ARB Fog Lights, GME TX3340 UHF Radio, GME AE4018 Aerial, Old Man Emu Coils and Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport Shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 285/70/17 Tires, 3M Black Window Tint, Rhino-Rack Sportz Rail Bars SX B2, Rhino-Rack Steel Mesh Platform Rack, Ironman 4 x4 Awning, 40L Engel, ARB Fridge Slide, BRC Extended Diff Breathers, HR Towbar.

Comment

• Richo-NT
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Brisbane

As the engine revs up, the boost pressure builds up, when you get off the throttle, that pressure has no where to go, so its "dumped" out of a waste gate built into the turbo system, thats the sound, all perfectly normal, the sound is particularly noticeable in the Pajero's
          2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Dards14
            • Oct 2010
            • Western Australia

Thanks Guys,

Thought it was something like that. Better to be safe than sorry.

I tell you one thing, I am really enjoying the car. Took it off-road today, and it will get me to my fishing spots with no effort at all. Cant wait to go on the first big road trip.

Cheers Again

Comment

• wasarangie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
              As the engine revs up, the boost pressure builds up, when you get off the throttle, that pressure has no where to go, so its "dumped" out of a waste gate built into the turbo system, thats the sound, all perfectly normal, the sound is particularly noticeable in the Pajero's
              Agree with everyone else on this. Imagine what it would be like with a Greedy blow off valve and a screamer pipe .
              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• flashcher
                • Mar 2010

My husband loves this whistle.
                His tilt tray used to have a similar whistle and you could hear him coming for 1/2km - then he had the motor and turbo rebuilt and it is so much quieter now.
                He gets plenty of time listening to it - sitting in the passenger seat of MY Challenger.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by flashcher View Post
                  My husband loves this whistle.
                  His tilt tray used to have a similar whistle and you could hear him coming for 1/2km - then he had the motor and turbo rebuilt and it is so much quieter now.
                  He gets plenty of time listening to it - sitting in the passenger seat of MY Challenger.
                  Flashcher,
                  Are all your troubles behind you yet? I hope so.
                  NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• cate03
                    • Jun 2010
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by flashcher View Post

Block the EGR and run a CHIPIT unit with 4psi extra boost....He'll definately be racing you to the keyring rack as you're leaving the house!! At times I actually drive with my window cracked down a bit, radio turned down, just to enjoy it a little more. When the car is cold, you can hear the BOV dumping between gear changes for the first few minutes (no big revs, just warming up)

My last 4WD (80 series) with aftermarket turbo used to whistle a fair bit, had the turbo rebuilt and alas, the whistle was gone (still went good though lol) Apparently on the older style diesels, the whistle sound was an indication of inefficiency, plus their boost pressures were not nearly as high as the newer DID's, Common rails etc

Cheers,
                    Carl

Comment

• flashcher
                      • Mar 2010

Hi Ballfyboy,
                      Sorry I thought I had posted an update, but was probably too busy enjoying my car again.
                      After 4 months of non stop problems I finally was able to get the new owner of the local dealership to go into bat for me with MMA and get them to replace the ECU.
                      And suprise suprise what I had been telling them for 4 months finally happened - no more problems.
                      They still will not admit that the ECU was the cause of the problem, but I am happy now and that is all that matters - just ask hubbie lol

Comment

• Lethally25
                        • Jun 2010
                        • Brisbane

At times I actually drive with my window cracked down a bit, radio turned down, just to enjoy it a little more.
                        Ditto!
                        18 cans per person per day, plus an emergency carton.

2010 Challenger LS - Auto, Reverse Camera, HR Towbar, BF Goodrich 265/65R17, Custom Trade Racks

To Do: Bash Plates, Bullbar, Rear Storage, Diff Breathers, Suspension, Exhaust.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X