Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   GPS Tech / Navigation (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   4wd gps thoughts (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=68004)

Ozzz 11-09-20 10:05 AM

4wd gps thoughts
 
Hi, I was digging a lot with 4wd gps setup. And I have found most members are either using a dedicated gps unit(in dash or portable) or tablets with 4wd app with maps.

Last few hours I was on the tablet and app path, all of sudden a silly idea popped out. Why cant I use my mobile phone with 4wd maps? Has anyone use this combo?

nj swb 11-09-20 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzz (Post 641178)
Hi, I was digging a lot with 4wd gps setup. And I have found most members are either using a dedicated gps unit(in dash or portable) or tablets with 4wd app with maps.

Last few hours I was on the tablet and app path, all of sudden a silly idea popped out. Why cant I use my mobile phone with 4wd maps? Has anyone use this combo?

It's not such a silly idea, and yes, you can do it. I tried it, but the screen was too small, so I'm now using an 8" android tablet. I wanted 8", as I wanted it near the top of the dash, closer to my line of sight, and thought a 10" tablet would be too intrusive.

A 6" phone screen may not sound a lot smaller, but phone screens are getting taller, not wider, and a 2:1 aspect ratio isn't as user friendly for mapping as 4:3.

I also run OziExplorer on my aftermarket head unit, but the display is further away from line of sight, and can get some horrid reflections.

Seigried 11-09-20 10:20 AM

I personally prefer a bigger scrren than my phone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Swede50 11-09-20 10:31 AM

I use Memory Map.
I have Hema + Westprint maps and Vic Topo loaded.
Both on a old Samsung Galaxy Note4 on a dash mount as well as running on a 10" tablet.
Also have a 7" Garmin satnav.
I found the phone in it's mount to be a little small but OK for reference whilst driving.
Every road or track I have been on in the outback or Vic high country has been there on the Garmin,,,, much to my surprise. However, the Garmin is useless for planning.
I use the 10" tablet for planning along with paper maps and the phone and Garmin when driving.
Hope that helps.

Ozzz 11-09-20 01:27 PM

Thanks guys for such detailed input. Now I have confirmed my mobile phone can be used as 4wd gps. I will get 4wd map into my mobile phone to use as a back up and handheld gps:D

Scrambler 11-09-20 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzz (Post 641187)
Thanks guys for such detailed input. Now I have confirmed my mobile phone can be used as 4wd gps. I will get 4wd map into my mobile phone to use as a back up and handheld gps:D

I'm late to this party, and my "new" NL came with a tablet in it, but until then I used my phone for maps. My fave was a now-outdated setup with a Garmin-Asus phone using Garmin and aftermarket maps. Loved that, would still buy a Garmin phone if they make another.

The options I would look at for your phone would be Open Street Map and/or Garmin format maps. There are good free off-road maps for these formats, plus navigable on-road maps.

Ozzz 11-09-20 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrambler (Post 641212)
I'm late to this party, and my "new" NL came with a tablet in it, but until then I used my phone for maps. My fave was a now-outdated setup with a Garmin-Asus phone using Garmin and aftermarket maps. Loved that, would still buy a Garmin phone if they make another.

The options I would look at for your phone would be Open Street Map and/or Garmin format maps. There are good free off-road maps for these formats, plus navigable on-road maps.

Never late:D thanks for the advice. I am googling Garmin format maps now.

Mundy55 12-09-20 08:34 AM

I have tried lots of combinations, none of which is perfect, and have currently settled on the one which is the least frustrating at the moment. The one which works best for you will be a personal thing.

I have used both MMaps and OziExplorer. I have used a 10" window mounted, Windows tablet; a Hema NX1; a Galaxy S7; and now, the latest, a Polaris Android head unit.

I prefer MMaps to use (on Windows) but it is more expensive and less flexible map wise than OziE and I don't like the way it operates on Android. The 10" tablet was great for viewing but was intrusive and not quite safe window mounted. The mobile phone was too small a screen size and, as noted in anothe similar post, if I got close enought to get the detail I couldn't focus on the screen. I was never comfortable with the way the Hema HX1 operated and most frustratingly, its polarised screen direction meant that the screen, in landscape mode, was black when using polarised sunglasses (essential when driving IMHO).

The Polaris head unit has a number of advantages, not just the off road mapping, and I never liked the OEM unit. But it, too, isn't perfect. Most niggly for me is, as NJ noted, the glossy screen gives unwanted reflections depending on light conditions, especially if my partner is wearing a light coloured top in the passenger seat. I haven't yet installed MMap onto this unit to see how it runs as I'm giving OziE a good try out. There's supposed to be improvements coming to OziE and I'll wait a while yet.

Ozzz 15-09-20 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundy55 (Post 641246)
I have tried lots of combinations, none of which is perfect, and have currently settled on the one which is the least frustrating at the moment. The one which works best for you will be a personal thing.

I have used both MMaps and OziExplorer. I have used a 10" window mounted, Windows tablet; a Hema NX1; a Galaxy S7; and now, the latest, a Polaris Android head unit.

I prefer MMaps to use (on Windows) but it is more expensive and less flexible map wise than OziE and I don't like the way it operates on Android. The 10" tablet was great for viewing but was intrusive and not quite safe window mounted. The mobile phone was too small a screen size and, as noted in anothe similar post, if I got close enought to get the detail I couldn't focus on the screen. I was never comfortable with the way the Hema HX1 operated and most frustratingly, its polarised screen direction meant that the screen, in landscape mode, was black when using polarised sunglasses (essential when driving IMHO).

The Polaris head unit has a number of advantages, not just the off road mapping, and I never liked the OEM unit. But it, too, isn't perfect. Most niggly for me is, as NJ noted, the glossy screen gives unwanted reflections depending on light conditions, especially if my partner is wearing a light coloured top in the passenger seat. I haven't yet installed MMap onto this unit to see how it runs as I'm giving OziE a good try out. There's supposed to be improvements coming to OziE and I'll wait a while yet.

Thanks mate, as along as it works then happy life. I have decided to get out first. As along as my phone can be used as gps then i can try to andriod auto or carplay to the head units unless the offroad app cant be supported:D

garyk 04-10-20 05:41 PM

Have been using a 6 inch android phone with Explore oz app for on road and off road for a while now and works well and can be used online or offline and off road mapping even has turn by turn navigation no matter how remote you are and a whole lot of other features as well some of which you pay a bit more for but way cheaper than a new head unit:beer[1]:


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.