Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself Projects (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Steering reach (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=67749)

Rickynik2022 12-08-20 11:18 AM

Steering reach
 
AAARRRGH - probably a familiar Q? Has anyone put a spacer or new boss kit on the steering wheel to extend it out a bit? 2015 Paj
Only thing on the ride Im struggling with..

Any help at all, appreciated.

richy

geopaj 12-08-20 08:34 PM

What model?

Rickynik2022 14-08-20 08:17 AM

Sttering wheel spacer
 
2015 Pajero exceed!

DibbyDibbyDJ 14-08-20 10:42 AM

Moving the steering wheel closer by any other means than factory fitted reach adjustment would change airbag deployment area and therefore make vehicle unroadworthy and ADR non compliant.


Not advised

nj swb 14-08-20 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 639020)
Moving the steering wheel closer by any other means than factory fitted reach adjustment would change airbag deployment area and therefore make vehicle unroadworthy and ADR non compliant.


Not advised

Have a look at how close the seat can be positioned to the steering wheel. I don't think ADRs are too concerned about "too close". I suspect the OP is more concerned that when the seat is a comfortable distance from the pedals, and the seat back is set to a comfortable rake, the steering wheel is too far away.

Perhaps the OP is particularly tall?

DibbyDibbyDJ 14-08-20 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj swb (Post 639045)
. I don't think ADRs are too concerned about "too close".


Air bags are designed to go off and already start deflating as the driver hits the bag. They are designed to operate within an envelope of operation, and having the wheel too close will cause the driver to possible hit the bag before deflation starts, causing abrasion burning or whiplash.


Just offering input from my professional knowledge.

nj swb 14-08-20 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 639047)
Air bags are designed to go off and already start deflating as the driver hits the bag. They are designed to operate within an envelope of operation, and having the wheel too close will cause the driver to possible hit the bag before deflation starts, causing abrasion burning or whiplash.


Just offering input from my professional knowledge.

I understand that too close is not good, but I don't believe ADRs are concerned. Go sit in your Pajero, and move the seat as far forward as it will go - it's difficult, even me with my short legs has trouble finding somewhere for my legs to go with the seat that far forward. The steering wheel boss is barely 300mm from my chest. The airbag won't finish inflating before it hits me, much less start deflating. That's factory configuration, which has passed whatever applicable ADRs.

I don't think the OP wants to sit that close.

erad 14-08-20 10:14 PM

The amount that you could move the steering wheel with a spacer is not going to have any significant effect on how the airbag deploys when required. For example, if the distance is 400 mm, and you move the steering wheel 15 mm (there would be nothing left to screw it onto the shaft even at that amount), the distance is 385 mm. Bugger all when you consider the variables associated with deploying an airbag in a crash from whatever angle it comes from. Why bother trying to change it?

DibbyDibbyDJ 15-08-20 09:45 AM

My original response to the OP, from Victoria, stands. With regards to Roadworthiness VSI 8 section 13.4 regarding steering wheels states




"Vehicles manufactured after June 1995, which are required to comply with ADR 69/ (Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection), may only be fitted with steering wheels certified by the vehicle manufacturer as suitable for that vehicle."


And as such any modification to the mounting of the wheel would be Uncompliant and therefore unroadworthy.


The option of having the steering column lengthened and then certified would be an option, but would be an expensive route.


nj swb 15-08-20 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 639105)
My original response to the OP, from Victoria, stands. With regards to Roadworthiness VSI 8 section 13.4 regarding steering wheels states

"Vehicles manufactured after June 1995, which are required to comply with ADR 69/ (Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection), may only be fitted with steering wheels certified by the vehicle manufacturer as suitable for that vehicle."

Who is talking about replacing the steering wheel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 639105)
And as such any modification to the mounting of the wheel would be Uncompliant and therefore unroadworthy.

That is your conclusion, but it isn't what your quoted extract says. If the op keeps the original factory steering wheel the vehicle complies with that clause.

The OP should contact Vic Roads to find out if any modifications to the mounting of the steering wheel are permitted.

Personally, I can't imagine how somebody could manufacture a spacer to move out the steering wheel a small amount (I'm imagining the op wants 20 - 50mm), but there are people out there more imaginative than I am.

Of course, after spacing out the steering wheel, if that's possible, next will be issues of stalks.

Ultimately, there must be better ways of finding a comfortable seating position.

Do any Mitsubishis come with adjustable-reach steering?


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.