• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floater05
    • Nov 2010
    • Port Lincoln

Steel Rear Bar Dual Tyre Carrier

I used 125x75 RHS with 45mm angle iron to form mounting brackets onto the tow bar mounts and to bolt to the original mounting points. I used stub axles for the swing away tyre carrier mounts.

I used amr75wcr's (Wayne) build thread for inspiration and ideas.

I have never welded before this project, although I have done some metal work in the past. (Had help with the welding from my father.) Total cost so far is about $600 and 3 full weekends of my time.

I used the heat to my advantage today. I started painting at 7 am this morning at 25 degrees. by 8:30 I had finished just in time before the heat set in. A couple of hours in 40 degree weather and the paint was dry. Ready for me to fit taillights, checker-plate and mount to the Paj. Finished up by 4pm.

I'm planing to use the plastic parts of the old bumper as best as possible to make it look full and original. Will see how that works out. Still to come are the swing away arms, but that can be for another weekend. Still have to fit reversing lights also.

2002 NM GLS,
    ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier
  • Herman4x4
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Melton, Victoria

Nice looking job you've done there.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• sub888
      • Oct 2012
      • Barossa Valley

Looks great, nice job. have you got any side on shots?

Are you taking orders.

Comment

• floater05
        • Nov 2010
        • Port Lincoln

Originally posted by sub888 View Post
        Looks great, nice job. have you got any side on shots?

Are you taking orders.
        Nah not taking orders lol, alot of work!

ill post up a side shot later on
        2002 NM GLS,
        ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier

Comment

• m1s3ry
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Kalorama, VIC.

Looks good, but those mounts will need beefing up, especially when you hang the arms off it.
          Steele Perkins (#1263)
          NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• amr75wcr
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by floater05 View Post
            Nah not taking orders lol, alot of work!

ill post up a side shot later on
            Ah men to that
            Wayne
            04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• floater05
              • Nov 2010
              • Port Lincoln

Update

2002 NM GLS,

Comment

• m1s3ry
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Kalorama, VIC.

Very nice, i may have to steal some of your ideas

Just a suggestion though, you should move the wheels more into the center of the car so they don't hang out the sides so far. Well maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but that's how it looks.

Also you might need some diagonal supports on the uprights that hold the spares. What are your plans to fill in the sides?
                Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

• floater05
                  • Nov 2010
                  • Port Lincoln

Originally posted by m1s3ry View Post
                  Very nice, i may have to steal some of your ideas

Just a suggestion though, you should move the wheels more into the center of the car so they don't hang out the sides so far. Well maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but that's how it looks.

Also you might need some diagonal supports on the uprights that hold the spares. What are your plans to fill in the sides?
                  Yeah the angle of the photo makes them look further out than they are.

heres some better shots

The plan for the sides is to use the original corner pieces slicing them inline with the start of the tail light, and then bending some sheet metal to fill in the gap.
                  2002 NM GLS,

Comment

• abw
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Sydney

Nice job! I'm taking an interest in this thread, as I almost ripped my rear bumper (mud scoop) off this weekend!

Just one little thing I noticed was the how you are retaining the wheel carriers. It's hard to tell, but do you think they may rattle with those latches? You may find using over centre latches will work better. Just a thought.
                    was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• floater05
                      • Nov 2010
                      • Port Lincoln

Originally posted by abw View Post
                      Nice job! I'm taking an interest in this thread, as I almost ripped my rear bumper (mud scoop) off this weekend!

Just one little thing I noticed was the how you are retaining the wheel carriers. It's hard to tell, but do you think they may rattle with those latches? You may find using over centre latches will work better. Just a thought.
                      I have put a piece of left over carpet (from my rear storage build) both on the rear bar and under the metal tab. you cant see it in the pics but ill get a shot of it and upload tomorrow. At the moment its tending on the tight side, definitely no rattle for now. Will see how it goes for a couple of weeks.
                      2002 NM GLS,

Comment

• floater05
                        • Nov 2010
                        • Port Lincoln

More Photos

2002 NM GLS,

Comment

• m1s3ry
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Kalorama, VIC.

Another thing that's really handy is a couple of tabs welded on the top of the bar so the arms can't swing out too far and damage the car.

And then a couple of gas struts to hold the arms open too
                          Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

• floater05
                            • Nov 2010
                            • Port Lincoln

Originally posted by m1s3ry View Post
                            Another thing that's really handy is a couple of tabs welded on the top of the bar so the arms can't swing out too far and damage the car.

And then a couple of gas struts to hold the arms open too
                            Was planning to put some gas struts on, but i do like your idea with the tabs on the bar!
                            2002 NM GLS,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X