• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peg
    • Sep 2013
    • Melbourne

Deep Cycle batteries

Can anyone tell me what type/brand of deep cycle battery we would need for our off road caravan. The two we have decided to play up when we were away so we couldn't bush camp as planned. OK during the day but nothing at night. Someone told us that they only last about 5 years and as it is a second hand van I believe that time is up. I also heard that if we go off road a lot then we would need a special battery for tough conditions, something about being dry inside??
    Also, what kind of money are we talking please?

Cheers
    peg
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

I reckon AGM type batteries are the go for vans. Spill proof and good for vibration resistance.

I've had good service from the Fullriver DC batteries.
    A 105 AH is around the $380 mark. 120 AH about $420.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

You will not beat Fullriver. A bit pricey but well worth it. You would have a fair amount of money invested in your off road van, I am guessing, so a $1000 for 2 good Fullriver batteries is cheap
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• pajeromack
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • NSW

First thing you need to work out is what battery capacity you need. Price is directly proportional to capacity. Then you decide on the battery technology.

Most people run Lead-Acid batteries in the form of AGM.

As noted above, Fullriver batteries have a good reputation. There are cheaper brands around too.
        Price wise you're probably looking a bit under $1000 for a pair installed which would give you around 210-240AH.

There's a few people running lithium based batteries. More expensive and needs more complex circuitry but much lighter and a longer cycle life.

Comment

• zepps
          • Oct 2016
          • Adelaide

AGM's can have great long lifetime 5+ years if looked after. Its important to use a good quality charger that doesn't over volt them 14.4V+. Also, if you want them to last, its important not to drain them below 50% (12.2V). When designing your system (Capacity) double it when using AGM.

If you plan to be hard on your batteries by draining them till almost flat, buy the cheapest you can find
          2014 NW Pajero GLXR

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Before lashing out, confirm the charging system is working as it should, then get the original batteries load tested.

It would be a pain to lash out on new bats to find the same happening because its not charging properly in the first place.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• peg
              • Sep 2013
              • Melbourne

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X