• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1969
    • May 2011
    • Lara

DC to DC Charger

Hi all,

I’m looking at installing a charger for my dual battery in my PS.

I’ve seen the Red Arc BCDC1225D but was wondering if anyone else has used another brand?

Cheers Mark
  • wazza5
    • Jan 2015
    • WA

The DCC Pro In-Vehicle DC-DC Battery Charger is a highly innovative product with many unique features, built for tough Australian conditions.

Shop around and you can get a good price.

Happy with mine, easy setup and display is very handy.

Comment

• glids37
      • Feb 2016
      • Banksia Park S.A.

My son is using a Projecta DC/DC charger in his camper trailer. Not sure if DC20 or PC20.

Seems to work fine.

Cheers,
      glids
      QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

I also have the Projecta.
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Travel Tragic
          • Nov 2017
          • Central Coast NSW

dcdcchargers

Hi, In my business I have used and installed Redarc, Projecta and Ctec dcdc chargers and had no problems with any of them. The Redarc although more expensive is, I think, still Australian made and have one of the best tech help lines, Ctec is pretty good too don't know much about the back up from Projecta. I must admit to liking to support locally made product and to have the opportunity to give someone a ring if things don't go right when your fitting them. I have the Redarc fitted to my NX Pajero. John
          2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

I've got a 1220 Redarc in the Paj and a 1240 in the van. Both faultless and i have had occasion to ring them for advice and they were great.
            Last edited by Ian H; 01-05-18, 09:47 AM.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• AstinGC90
              • Nov 2017
              • Innisfail

Another vote for the Intervolt, had one in my PS for months without issue
              2016 MY17 Pajero Sport Exceed
              MCC Rocker Bar - Runva 11XP Premium Winch - Tough Dog 40mm adjustable lift kit - Safari V-Spec - 4mm Stainless Bash Plates- Savannah RTT - Front Runner Slimline 2 Rack - All interior lighting swapped to LED's - Stedi 39" LED Lightbar with LED/DRL fogs - Intervolt DC/DC charger - Projecta 120W solar - Dual Battery under bonnet 75AH SLA aux - Provent Catch Can - Idrive Windbooster EVC313 - Miracast HDMI mod - Piranha Breathers.

Comment

• damos75
                • Aug 2016
                • Sydney

I have the Red Arc BCDC1225D. It has performed brilliantly.

I had issues with my solar setup and rang the Redarc help line. They talked me through my setup and we worked out it was my solar panels that were the problem (Non Redarc). They were very helpful.

With my solar panels fixed it now works perfectly with the Redarc.
                2016 Pajero Sport GLS
                ARB Summit Bar
                ARB Intensity AR 32's
                Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
                BFG AT's
                BushSkinz
                Dobinsons Raised Springs & Shocks

Comment

• Merts
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Bendigo Vic

I have a Projecta IDC25 in the ute, and another in the camper. They work very well. I've used the solar input on the one in the camper, and had no issues with that either.
                  Merts
                  Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                  Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• vitchie
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Sydney

Do you guys connect the signal wire on the Projecta or do you just rely on the voltage of the crank battery to drop below 12.8v?
                    MY2017 MQ PS GLS
                    Tough Toys 3mm steel bash plates, Projecta IDC25 DC/DC Carger + 130ah AGM Battery (Portable), Thule Roof racks, Rola roof basket, 3D Rubber floor mats

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by vitchie View Post
                      Do you guys connect the signal wire on the Projecta or do you just rely on the voltage of the crank battery to drop below 12.8v?
                      You don't really need the ignition wire connected unless you have a smart alternator. With a standard alternator, the default VSR mode turns the charger off when the input voltage drops below 12.8V.
                      Merts

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Go the Projecta IDC 25 for the following reasons:

1. It's the best value for money

2. Projecta support is only a phone call away.I've had a couple of dealings with them now (other product) and their backup is fine

3. It comes out of the box in standard, LV or IGN variants - something redarc still has to get their head around. Just depends how you wire it up.

(to answer another question, with an ecu controlled alternator in the Paj, Mine is wired up as standard. I found having the fan running at all times - even on notch 1, voltage never drops below the turn on threshold when running, so no need for connecting to an IGN source)

4. Doesn't require additional circuitry or relays for solar input like some of the redarcs - projecta/ctek set the standard, now redarc is trying to catch up

5. Is slimline like the redarc. The ctek is next but the intervolt is a bit "boxy but nice". That may have an impact on where you wish to mount it.

The only thing the intervolt has for me over the others is the remote screen telling you what's happening back there. But you pay a price for that, and questionable if its really needed.

The only disadvantage I see with the IDC25 is like redarc it is supplied bare ended. Not as nice to hook up like the intervolt or ctek, but it's not a major issue either. I anderson plugged my IDC25 connections so it can be removed easy if needed. Anderson power poles would probably be better, but I wanted to "sava da money", so I cut a standard anderson plug in half. I just have to be careful should I need to pull it out and reconnect it - which, knowing projecta's quality, I doubt that will happen.

Hope the above gives you something to think about.

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention, the minimum solar input voltage on the IDC25 is 9V, not 17.5V like the redarc. So you can be pretty sure all panels will work with that. I've had to fix a few peoples solar issues on their redarc in the field in the past - by loaning them my bloody panels Grrrr
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• vitchie
                          • Mar 2018
                          • Sydney

Thanks. The only reason I ask, my projecta charges no problem, but I see the charge indicator stays on for hours, even more than a day sometimes. Just wondering if that is not going to shorten the life of my crank battery. I Thought the IDC would stop charging a minute or two after switching ignition off like in my previous car.
                          MY2017 MQ PS GLS
                          Tough Toys 3mm steel bash plates, Projecta IDC25 DC/DC Carger + 130ah AGM Battery (Portable), Thule Roof racks, Rola roof basket, 3D Rubber floor mats

Comment

• sharkcaver
                            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                            • May 2009
                            • Perth

Thanks. The only reason I ask, my projecta charges no problem, but I see the charge indicator stays on for hours, even more than a day sometimes. Just wondering if that is not going to shorten the life of my crank battery. I Thought the IDC would stop charging a minute or two after switching ignition off like in my previous car.
                            They will stop charging when the feed battery drops to the set voltage threshold. 12.8V from memory on the IDC25. New batteries seem to hold that voltage point for some time. Just because its "charging" doesn't mean full current. It may be in float, drawing very little from the feed battery and taking a long time for the cut off threshold to be met.
                            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Merts
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2011
                              • Bendigo Vic

I'd be checking to make sure the ignition switch wire hasn't been connected directly to the main battery, which would make the unit operate with a lower (11.9) voltage cutout.
                              Merts

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X