PDA

View Full Version : Removing Pin Stipes

Commandant
09-03-10, 06:53 AM
Hi all. Does anyone know a good way to remove the factory pinstripes?

After 13 years, it has heaps of cracks, scratches and missing bits.

Many thanks.

mrbitchi
09-03-10, 08:10 AM
Best method is to take it to a panel beater and get it done professionally.

Be warned, the paint under the pinstripping will not be faded like the rest so you'll always see where they were.

rebelone607
09-03-10, 09:16 AM
Hi all. Does anyone know a good way to remove the factory pinstripes?

After 13 years, it has heaps of cracks, scratches and missing bits.

Many thanks.

Several years ago I had to remove heaps of vinyl lettering off one of my rescue vehicles and we used a thing called "pin tech" I think - can't be 100% sure on that name, too many brain cells dead now. From memory it was like a pencil errasor that you put in a drill and basically buffed it off. Pretty sure we got them from a panel beaters supplier. As Mrbitchi says, might be best to get your pannel beater to do it. Have also seen the mob that put the pictures etc onto the side of fridgevans etc use a heat gun, don't know if I would like to try that on my good vehicle though.
Merv

Wiseowl
09-03-10, 09:30 AM
When I had the XF wagon I got them off with hairdryer that worked for me . Get a start point heat with hairdryer and peel off after you do that you may have to use prepsol to clear the remaining gunk. Mine was old and brittle and was hard to get off. I then put new stripes on. My paint wasnt faded underneath and after it was removed you couldnt tell that it had stripes before.

gjh1967
11-03-10, 12:22 PM
Hi Commandant

You could also try boiling water to soften the pin stripes while lifting with a plastic putty knife.
Afterwards use Prepsol or wax and grease remove to get rid of any left over gum

Cheers Glenn

Commandant
11-03-10, 02:05 PM
Thanks Folks - will give the ideas a try over the weekend.

Bernoulli
13-03-10, 07:10 AM
Heat gun carefully. If you don't have one, you'll find them very useful to remove any kind of adhesive. An adjustable one is nice to have. I just removed the double sided tape from a wind deflector to put on my car.

Take off a small amount of the pin striping first to see how much fade you have.