• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huggy1956
    • Nov 2009
    • adelaide

steel bullbar versus aluminium

I am tossing up whether to buy the steel bullbar or aluminium bull bar for my soon to arrive platinum pajero (3.2 diesel). I believe that the steel bullbar offers greater/stronger protection (eg hitting roos etc) however am unsure as to the extra weight. I think the aluminium probably looks better however I have been quoted about $500 extra.
    My previous two pajeros I had aluminium.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated
  • CeeJay
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Samford, QLD

In my experience alluminium/alloy offers much less protection than steel. The weight penalty is about 20kgs, but upgraded springs sort that out.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• huggy1956
      • Nov 2009
      • adelaide

Surely 20kg is not a huge deal. I mean we are talking about a car weighing well over 2000kg.

Comment

• CeeJay
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Samford, QLD

20kgs not a huge deal, but it is hung out in front of the axle, so leverage-wise it's more than 20kg. Add a winch and a 2nd battery and you'll definitely want the upgraded springs. Look at the ARB bar vs the MMA bar, and you'll see the ARB bar sits maybe 400mm further forward than the MMA bar.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• huggy1956
          • Nov 2009
          • adelaide

Originally posted by CeeJay View Post
          20kgs not a huge deal, but it is hung out in front of the axle, so leverage-wise it's more than 20kg. Add a winch and a 2nd battery and you'll definitely want the upgraded springs. Look at the ARB bar vs the MMA bar, and you'll see the ARB bar sits maybe 400mm further forward than the MMA bar.
          I see what you mean. 400 mm (thats about 15 inches I think) is quite a bit and will definitely influence my decision. Thanks for your help

Comment

• paulisok
            • Oct 2009
            • Brisbane North Side

SMartbar

"Don't argue with an Idiot
            They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

2009 NT GLX 3.2 DiD Auto, Ironbark, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TJM Classique Side Steps, Fogs, GME TX3440 UHF, Dual Battery, Pajero Sports Roof Racks, DIY Rear Storage, Fridge, Tint, Tow, and loviin it.

Considering Mods; OME Sports Suspension, Snorkel

Comment

• huggy1956
              • Nov 2009
              • adelaide

Originally posted by paulisok View Post
              Hi Paulisok,
              Thats not a bad price especially seeing the lights are included. My all up fitted price was $1800.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Have a smart bar on my falcon, and is surprisingly good as a skippy flicker. Has moved at least 10 out of the way and only damaged 1 indicator lens. Pity they always then bounce down the side of the car which then needs repair. Still not as good as the Steel bar on the pajero but a good compromise on weight and in my qpinion better than Aluminium.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• simonfish
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Brisbane

I had an ARB deluxe steel bar fitted to my SWB X DiD just before Christmas, it hasn't made any difference to the handling, etc. of the vehicle. The vehicle is 6 months old, so maybe the springs are still too new, but they didn't drop.
                  I was concerned about the additional weight, but I shouldn't have been (maybe with a winch and dual battery I would be, but not just a steel bullbar).

It was $1,873 fitted , including the ARB foglights, in the original black colour.
                  Very happy with it and the fitting.
                  MY09 NT Pajero X SWB DiD White
                  Mods - MM towbar, Yokohama A/T-s 265/60r18 tyres, ARB Deluxe Bar

Comment

• Ian Johnston
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Mount Gambier, SA

The MM alloy bar is made out of beer cans. Had one on my DID company vehicle back in 2003, now have ARB steel one on my "new" 2004 DID Exceed.
                    Cant beat the strength of steel.
                    2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                    Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                    2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

But there's always the argument that alloy absorbs some of the impact energy into the bar whereas the steel bar puts most of that energy into the rail. Which would you prefer to repair? Even more so on a monocoque body.

Sorry for the can of worms

Shane.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ian Johnston
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Mount Gambier, SA

A lot of it depends on the bar design as well. I have been involved in truck bull bars for years, and as you would have seen, most are alloy. They are designed to mainly handle our wildlife, not deflect cars etc.
                        Out in the "real" outback, a lot of trucks use steel bars, mainly for cattle deflection, and ease of extraction if bogged.

I work in the bush, and have to deal with roos, and would prefer a steel bar.
                        2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                        Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                        2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• Pete
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post

I work in the bush, and have to deal with roos, and would prefer a steel bar.
                          this is something to consider. I am an 80 road 20 bush owner. Is it better to go allum for more road use and steel for more bush - or is this simply a personal preference?

Comment

• NJ94
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2009
                            • Melbourne East

Yes I thought about that ratio of bush vs bitumen but you'd only have to hit one decent sized roo? My mate lives in central WA and he has an ARB steel jigger. One night going to Kalgoorlie he hit 17 roos! Not all at once of course but you get the point. There was no damage at all on the ARB bar. Imagine if you went for a trip and that happened to you? Not sure if the ally bar would last that long. It's an extreme example of course.
                            "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• Dazza.
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • Northern Territory

Originally posted by NJ94 View Post
                              One night going to Kalgoorlie he hit 17 roos!
                              Yeah that happens when you aim for them
                              COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X