• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grantw
    • Jul 2007
    • Brisbane Southside

Anyone converted to lpg yet?

Hi all.
    I have been tossing and turning about keeping my swb paj as I have been doing far too many kms in her. I am happy to say that it will stay in the garage despite the 1200+ per week being added. At the end of the day, I like the car and enjoy driving it so high kms are the next owners issue.

Back to the topic...

Has anyone actually done a lpg conversion to a NS petrol as yet? With my weekly fuel bill ranging from $150 - $200 I can justify the cost of the conversion and would imagine I can recoup the cost rather quickly. My concerns are that the job be 100%, I am not interested in having a 99% job done to a vehicle I drive every day for many hours. I also do not want to be the "guinea pig vehicle" also.

So heres hoping that someone has a successful and reliable conversion story that I can have faith in to do the duties for me. Its definately not a cost thing, I dont want the cheapest kit, I want the best kit.

Thanks guys and hopefully I can contribute some feedback if all goes well...
    NS X Swb, V6, Black, rear locker, tint, 75mm lift......dust from lack of use
  • PeterH
    • Oct 2007
    • Adelaide S.A

Hi .Grant ..i have just had my NS fitted with LPG (Impco)...
    68 litre tank which fitted into the 3rd seat reciprical..as far as power is concerned i cannot notice any difference as to economy ..well i filled it on weekend $29.00 for 55 litres ..im smilling ..motor is as smooth as silk ..it starts on petrol in morning and auto changes to gas when temp reaches certain mark ..will atuo switch to petrol if gas runs out ....puts a whole new meaning to driving as far as im concerned..

cheers

Comment

• grantw
      • Jul 2007
      • Brisbane Southside

Thats sounds like what I am looking for. I thought I should get more than 55L under there though... Do the 3rd row rear seats in the wagon collapse down under the floor? That might mean I can get a bigger tank underneath. My measurements came up with about 80-90L capacity. Out of curiosity, what did it set you back and where was the gas fuel gauge/indicator mounted?

Thanks

Comment

• PeterH
        • Oct 2007
        • Adelaide S.A

Grant ...in the wagon the tank goes were the 3rd row seats retract to ..you can still use the 3rd row but they will not fold under ..the gas tank fitted is actually a 80 litre tank but only 68 litre is usable..the fuel gauge is actually part of the switch unit ..green lights ..it fits nicely down alongside the switch for rear diff lock goes.. i had quotes ranging from $4200...to $5500.00

Cheers PeterH

NS VRX with lots of ops

Comment

• grantw
          • Jul 2007
          • Brisbane Southside

Sounds good but I have heated seats so that gauge spot is out of the question!!!

Comment

• PeterH
            • Oct 2007
            • Adelaide S.A

sorry Grant i meant the ASC switch

Comment

• snoop75
              • Jul 2007
              • Melbourne West

PeterH - you're talking about the 5-door LWB Pajero, right?

I'm guessing the LPG tank location under the third row of seats would not apply for SWB?

Or can one still be tucked away somewhere on the SWB?

I'm also keen to get LPG, but don't want to lose the already limited space behind back seats.

NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

• grantw
                • Jul 2007
                • Brisbane Southside

The fuel tank in the SWB models is up under the drivers seat. The only thing behind the rear diff is a giant muffler. With the exhaust modified a gas tank will slot in just nicely. I hope.

Comment

• PeterH
                  • Oct 2007
                  • Adelaide S.A

Snoop 75 ..yes i am i have a VRX 5door ..so the tank fits into the well that the 3rd row would have gone into...cant help you with the 3 door....so far i have done about 600 kms in it and on this fill i will get a better idea of economy ..i will let you know..

Regards peterH

Comment

• grantw
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Brisbane Southside

So we had a decent look under the shorty today to see if we can fit a gas tank in behind the rear diff. Although it looks like there is plenty of room to mount the tank it looks like I might be mistaken. We will investigate a little more thoroughly tomorrow but i am now doubting the tank will fit. The option is to go smaller but any less than 65L is not worth the cost of the conversion. Its a shame but it would allow a bigger budget for other stuff

Comment

• PeterH
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Adelaide S.A

filled up with LPG today for the second time the figures were 345klms 61.8 litres which equates to 5.58 klms per litre.cost was $35.80.that was all city driving also...just as an aside ..woolworths owned service stations also take woolworths discount vouchers so thats another 4 cents per litre off

Cheers peterH

Comment

• sinbad
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Adelaide

Thats about 17.5 litres per 100k what were you getting on petrol.
                        I get about 16 litres per 100k on petrol so the gas looks very efficient as well then.
                        NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

• PeterH
                          • Oct 2007
                          • Adelaide S.A

Hi Sinbad ..since i have had the Pajero, on petrol i have averaged about 6 to 6.5 kms per litre around town thats about 16.6 litres per hundred kms..so this new vaporising injection isnt to bad at all

PeterH

Comment

• sinbad
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Adelaide

Hi Peter, thats not bad at all. i just noticed your in Adelaide same here.
                            Where did you get your gas fitted and how much did it cost, I have a NP and want to look at getting it fitted. I have been quoted $3.8k to $4k which seems a lot for LPG. So not sure what I'm getting for that, we have had Mitsubishi Magnas at work put on Gas and they were under $2k.

Also supposedly if you have your vehicle on a lease you can't claim back the government $2k.??
                            NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

• tempestv8
                              • Oct 2007
                              • Melbourne, Australia

If you have a novated lease, and the vehicle is registered under your personal name, you are eligible for the Government LPG grant.

Just as a comparison, a 1999 Land Rover Discovery II V8 on LPG consumption (vapour sequential injection system) is around the 22 litres per 100 kms on LPG around town, so the Pajero NS conversion seems to be pretty economical.

Lawrance Lee

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X