• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zr1
    • Oct 2009

GLS v's VRX

Hi all,

I'm currently getting quotes on GLS and VRX, (my first Pajero) It may sound trivial but one thing I?m concerned about is the lack of lumbar support adjustment in the GLS as apposed to the VRX. I spend a lot of time in my vehicle, and every vehicle I?ve had prior to now has had adjustable lumbar support which I?ve found really good. Trouble is I haven?t been able to even test drive a GLS only the VRX, every dealer I go to tells me they have none in stock and no one in Sydney has any. Like I?m going to buy a car without seeing it let alone driving it. Whilst all the additional features of the VRX would be nice, i'm not overly concerned about them and would be happy with the GLS, apart from the adjustable lumbar support.
    Anyone out there have a GLS that spends a lot of time in it and can comment on the lumbar support the seat provides.

cheers
  • Quadcam
    • May 2008
    • Brisbane

What about trying a GLX, wouldn't it have the same seat as a GLS?
    ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• Zr1
      • Oct 2009

Hi Quadcam,

I haven’t seen any GLX’s either, 6 dealers and they've only got VRX's and Exceeds, I found a couple of second hand NS GLS's but not sure if they are the same. Not sure how it works between dealers but a couple of them have said they looked on their computers to see if other dealers in the area have any and no such luck. I tend to believe they may be able to see such data as after buying my last new vehicle I received a couple of letters from dealers that I had got quotes from noting that I had purchased a vehicle from an alternative dealer but if they can be of any help, Blah Blah Blah,

Comment

• SimmoT
        • Jun 2009
        • Wyndham, WA

yeah took me ages to get to testdrive a manual diesel, and finally did a few weeks ago. it was a GLS and it was superb to drive. i've since ordered a manual diesel GLX - a lot of the extras found in the VRX/GLS didnt really seem needed to me and all i could think of was the extra bills when bits needed replacing just my opinion anyway....... a mate of mine has a petrol/auto/VRX and it sucks the juice down when using it around town - he's already thinking of changing.....

in regards to lumbar support, cant really comment on the seats other than i found them really comfortable - and we went on a 2hour testdrive! i went to a physio a few months ago for a lumbar strain and she gave me a d-shaped pillow that gives me better lumbar suport than any car seat i've been in before. solved all my problems

cheers

simmo
        2010 NT RX DiD Manual, Cooper ST-Maxx 265/70/R17LT, Tow Bar, TJM T13 Steel Bar, Airtec Snorkel, X-Ray Spotties, HD Kings, RAW Shocks, ARB Alloy Roof Rack, Outback Rear Drawers, Icom IC-440 UHF, TJM DBS Dual Battery System, 60L LRA Aux Tank, BushSkinz Bashplates and Sliders, Polyairs, 2.5m TJM Awning, OX 9500lb Winch.

Comment

• ozwrangler
          • Jul 2007
          • Jervis Bay area

You'd save a huge amount of money by buying a separate lumbar support cushion. You can get much cheaper than this e.g. http://www.badbacks.com.au/shop/prod...back-companion
          2009 Mitsubishi Pajero NT GL, Diesel, Auto, Rear diff lock, side airbags, 3000kg towpack, Milford cargo barrier, Rhino roof rails+ bars, Teshonka Prodigy brake controller

Comment

• Zr1
            • Oct 2009

Hi There,

good point about the cushion, probably the go i reckon, as i agree with you in regards to the extras, it's money that could be spent of bars, suspension, etc, thanks for your input. They shore are hard to locate at dealers thats for shore.

Comment

• DarrylM
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zr1 View Post
              Hi There,

good point about the cushion, probably the go i reckon, as i agree with you in regards to the extras, it's money that could be spent of bars, suspension, etc, thanks for your input. They shore are hard to locate at dealers thats for shore.
              Hello ZR1

I've just spend time driving around in various 4wd. I was surprised the the Pajero didn't have lumber support. I don't even recall the VRX having lumbar support. The seats were leather and electric, but I recall feeling for the lumbar support button and being told there was none.

Anyway, even the vehicles that had lumbar support (including the Prado and the landcruiser) did not seem to help my back.

I ended up deciding that if I need lumbar support I would get a seat cover or cut some foam and make a pillow or do as others have suggested here and purchase something that will support.

Darryl

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by DarrylM View Post
                Hello ZR1

I've just spend time driving around in various 4wd. I was surprised the the Pajero didn't have lumber support. I don't even recall the VRX having lumbar support. The seats were leather and electric, but I recall feeling for the lumbar support button and being told there was none.

Anyway, even the vehicles that had lumbar support (including the Prado and the landcruiser) did not seem to help my back.

I ended up deciding that if I need lumbar support I would get a seat cover or cut some foam and make a pillow or do as others have suggested here and purchase something that will support.

Darryl
                my shorty has the leather and electric lumbar.. its a wee button on its own..
                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Zr1
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by DarrylM View Post
                  Hello ZR1

Darryl
                  Hi Darryl,
                  Thanks mate, yeh it's surprising that they don’t have it apart form VRX upwards. Even a 1997 Holden I had 12 years ago had adjustable lumber. Anyway it's not a show stopper and is easily fixed as you mention. I’ve never owned a Pajero and must say that apart from the seat I’m pretty impressed with the standard features it comes with and the engine and drive train. I’m Looking forward to making a decision and ordering one.

cheers Jason

Comment

• Isa paj
                    • Apr 2009
                    • Mount Isa Queensland

Lumber support.

I spent about 2000km in my GLS driver's seat in 2 days driving the car home from the dealership and the seats in my mind are very comfortable for the long haul. In regards to the additional lumber support systems that can be purchased aftermarket I would be very careful fitting them to seats like in the GLS that are factory fitted with airbags, because in the event of an accident that sets the side curtain airbags off it could result in more injury to yourself as they will affect the way the airbag deploys. The same is fitting non genuine seat covers the airbag when deployed can be forced across your back instead of towards the side windows. I do think lumber support would be a good addition as the seat can be adjusted to suit the individual person. Hope this helps with your decision.
                    NT GLS Manual.

Comment

• ozwrangler
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Jervis Bay area

Originally posted by Isa paj View Post
                      ...... I would be very careful fitting them to seats like in the GLS that are factory fitted with airbags, because in the event of an accident that sets the side curtain airbags off it could result in more injury to yourself as they will affect the way the airbag deploys...........
                      Good point about the airbags.

Our GL has them as an extra, but the husband still uses a small D-shape lumbar support cushion. Has no elastic to hold it on and small enought that it doesn't interfere the airbags.

The user manual has a good pic of how the front seat airbags deploy if in doubt.
                      2009 Mitsubishi Pajero NT GL, Diesel, Auto, Rear diff lock, side airbags, 3000kg towpack, Milford cargo barrier, Rhino roof rails+ bars, Teshonka Prodigy brake controller

Comment

• Zr1
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Isa paj View Post
                        I spent about 2000km in my GLS driver's seat in 2 days driving the car home from the dealership and the seats in my mind are very comfortable for the long haul. In regards to the additional lumber support systems that can be purchased aftermarket I would be very careful fitting them to seats like in the GLS that are factory fitted with airbags, because in the event of an accident that sets the side curtain airbags off it could result in more injury to yourself as they will affect the way the airbag deploys. The same is fitting non genuine seat covers the airbag when deployed can be forced across your back instead of towards the side windows. I do think lumber support would be a good addition as the seat can be adjusted to suit the individual person. Hope this helps with your decision.
                        Thanks for your input, i know everyone has different lumbar requirements but its good to know that you found them comfortable on a 2K trip. Also, very valid point about the air bags, the vehicle i have now needed OEM seat covers for the side air bags

cheers

Comment

• explorer2203
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Penrith NSW

I test drove a GLX out at Penrith Mitsu. I wouldnt buy from them though....hopeless sales service.

I went with the GLS and the 2010 has some nice extra's over current model so if you are in the market...I would definately go for the 2010 model if shopping now
                          Remember...he who expects nothing shall not be dissapointed.

2010 NT DID GLS. Dobinson Front / Lovells Rear Springs - 50mm. Dobinson front shocks and Tuff Dogs at rear. Polyairs. ARB Bar. HID 9" spots x 3. 4460 GME. RF10 Tyres. Chip It Tune chip. scanguage II. Dual Batteries. Roof basket. ICOM UHF and GME UHF

Comment

• Zr1
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by explorer2203 View Post
                            I test drove a GLX out at Penrith Mitsu. I wouldnt buy from them though....hopeless sales service.

I went with the GLS and the 2010 has some nice extra's over current model so if you are in the market...I would definately go for the 2010 model if shopping now
                            Hi Explorer2203,

Thanks for that, I’ll give them a call, even if only to test drive one. Is there much of a difference between the 09 and 10 GLS. The brochures I have (bearing in mind I haven't seen one in the flesh) May well be the 2009 specs

Comment

• TDB007
                              • Sep 2009
                              • SE Qld

I've had my GLS for 3 weeks. I was somewhat surprised at the lack of a lumbar adjustment. But I've found the seats are very comfortable, enough to not worry about no lumbar support.
                              NT Di-D GLS, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, OME Suspension, Nitto Terra Grapplers, some other stuff, and a Cub Brumby out the back.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X