PDA

View Full Version : rear window cracked to thousands of pieces?

jm2004
30-05-09, 11:51 AM
Hi all,
I just experienced something I cannot explained. A couple of days ago the rear glass window cracked to thousands of small pieces, but it still hung on the frame, perhaps helped by the tinting. I didn't even notice until a day later and realized what "knock" sound I heard must have been a day earlier.

I don't believe anybody threw anything (rock etc) at the window, although a couple of months ago a plastic pipe did hit it (not too hard). Perhaps that incident cracked the glass a little. The hit was however in the left middle screen while the crack seems to start from the top left.

Anyway, at least I am glad I took windshield insurance cover as then I don't have to pay a cent for the replacement (including retinting). The repair was done the following day so the Paj is OK again now, ready for our upcoming trip :)

Apparently this is a very rare incident? The shop said usually the replacement was for glasses broken into rather than "self distruct" like what mine did.

Cheers,
Jon

Wrex
30-05-09, 02:33 PM
We had a rock hit our rear window (bounced off the camper trailer) 4kms out of Inamminka. The window tint kept it in along with 4 rolls of tape for another 5000km.

The safety glass is designed to do this. Even a small chip can crack and cause your issue.

At work sometime to gain access into a vehicle just pushing on a window can cause it to shatter.

MM cost price $500+ for SWB rear window:censored[1]:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/Gsxrwrex/PentaxPics070309422.jpg

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/Gsxrwrex/PentaxPics070309425.jpg

jm2004
30-05-09, 03:35 PM
Hi Wrex,
I reckon the crack was a slow reaction due to the glass being hit by the plastic pipe on that ute behind me. I was stationary at the traffict light when he failed to stop in time. He was on the phone at that time, I suppose not really paying attention that the pipe was much further forward than his car's bumper. But then again, nobody would know for sure if this was the main cause.

I recorded his rego number, date and time of incident but we didn't exchange details as there was no visible damage on the glass at that time. But it's all water under the bridge now.

At least the insurance covered the cost 100% and due to my lifetime-guaranteed max discount, this claim won't affect my premium as well next year. Just an inconvenience for me to have to go through the process etc. Well, at least it could have been worse.

Cheers,

Jon

mrbitchi
01-06-09, 07:08 PM
Had a stone, thrown up by a council grass cutter, hit the rear "Opera" window (C pillar) on the Statesman a while back. Window stayed intact for about another K then it went BANG and shattered just like yours. Cost a bloody fortune as they are in very short supply..

Matumbi
02-06-09, 06:20 AM
I had that happen to me in Sydney in my old NJ. I was stopped at traffic lights with nothing else in sight and the rear window just "popped". I lasted a few days before it got replaced. Covered on insurance. The windscreen guy reckoned it may have been an electrical short in the rear demist. No idea if that could do it..... ?

A week later I was driving down the Strzelecki Track and had a rock come back off the trailer.

Two rear windows in two weeks.....

Here's some pics of the second one.

peterdeg
02-06-09, 09:57 AM
Pic 1. The first thing you did was have a beer?

Matumbi
02-06-09, 07:31 PM
Pic 1. The first thing you did was have a beer?

Not quite... I was still driving. The contents of that carton were in the esky, it became the bin. Although they were my first concern, I thought they had blown up with excessive shaking. It was such a relief to find it was only the rear window.

I just disconnected the trailer, removed all the glass then inhaled dust for the next 200kms until I found something to fill the hole. Then drove all the way to Alice Springs on the Oodnadatta Track before getting the glass replaced.....

Fun times.

wilyum
06-06-09, 03:32 PM
Ever thought of fitting a rear window protector when towing?
I use one ,it's a great investment.
Wilyum.

Matumbi
10-06-09, 06:30 AM

I did after that incident.
When the rear window was replaced in Alice Springs, they gave me with a sheet of inch thick cardboard to cover the window as seen in this pick on the Tanami Road.

MickSA
22-06-09, 01:52 PM
I use one ,it's a great investment.
Wilyum.

What do they look like?