• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Engine oil

Have contacted Valvoline and Castrol ... they are yet to recommend an oil for the Pajero Sport as yet ...

Anyone else have any luck ?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
  • shortSteve
    • Dec 2012
    • Perth

Would be the same as the MQ Triton yeah??? Surely something out for them?
    MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
    twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
    15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
      Would be the same as the MQ Triton yeah??? Surely something out for them?
      just did the search Triton MQ Series (4x4), 2.4 Litre 4N15 Turbo Diesel Eng. (2015)
      and yes I presume would be the same also ... let's just see how long it takes them to update their databases

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• greig
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • kanwal

Any good quality DPF endorsed oil in the correct grade would be compatible.

Comment

• glids37
          • Feb 2016
          • Banksia Park S.A.

Hi guys,

I have done a bit of research into engine oils for the PS.

First, I spoke to our MM Dealer's Service Dept. They use Castrol Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30. This is a C3 grade suitable for the PS with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Note that the 'MP' part of the MPDX code does NOT stand for 'Magnatec Professional'. Castrol make a Magnatec Professional DX 5W-30, and the Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30, and the straight DX 5W-30 is NOT suitable for the Paj Sport or diesel engines.

I had a long conversation with Castrol's Tech guy in Melbourne, and he advised the following Castrol products as being suitable for the PS:
          Castrol Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30, and
          Castrol Edge Professional OE-X 5W-30.
          I believe the OE-X is a full synthetic, and considerably dearer than the MPDX.

Penrite also do a couple of C3 and C4 oils suitable for the DPF engines, in their ENVIRO+ range... eg: Penrite Enviro+ C-3 5W-30. These are also full synthetic, and Repco quoted me $215 to $240 for 20L drums.

I used Penrite in my previous diesel 4WD, but those oils are damned expensive. I understand the Castrol MPDX is far cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
          glids
          QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

• fester
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Gympie Qld

Where is the DPF in the new PS, it was the first thing I looked for when I saw one in the local yard but I didn't notice it. Is it up further up in the engine bay, I was only looking under the car on a weekend.

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by fester View Post
              Where is the DPF in the new PS, it was the first thing I looked for when I saw one in the local yard but I didn't notice it. Is it up further up in the engine bay, I was only looking under the car on a weekend.
              If I remember correctly it was just past turbo in engine bay ... (big ugly looking thing with a probe in it) ...
              Salesman staff rang me today, as I too inquired some info on it ... he mentioned that after a continuous run(20min) over 40km/hr is when the burn will take place when necessary ...

Comment

• fester
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Gympie Qld

Interesting. I thought they were generally put under the car due to the excessive heat generated during the regen cycle.

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Comment

• fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Gympie Qld

So there mustn't be that much heat radiate off them then when they are burning off. I thought that's why they were usually underneath. I was also told that the big yank trucks all had those vortex rear exhaust tips for highway airflow to assist sucking the hot exhaust gas out when doing a regen.

Comment

• Pickle
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2007
                      • All over Oz

So there mustn't be that much heat radiate off them then when they are burning off. I thought that's why they were usually underneath. I was also told that the big yank trucks all had those vortex rear exhaust tips for highway airflow to assist sucking the hot exhaust gas out when doing a regen.
                      They call them Proximity DPF due to the positioning close to the exhaust manifold.
                      Dave
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

I'd say they do generate a lot of heat, hence the need to put heat shields around them

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                          • Dec 2015
                          • W.A

Originally posted by glids37 View Post
                          Hi guys,

I have done a bit of research into engine oils for the PS.

First, I spoke to our MM Dealer's Service Dept. They use Castrol Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30. This is a C3 grade suitable for the PS with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Note that the 'MP' part of the MPDX code does NOT stand for 'Magnatec Professional'. Castrol make a Magnatec Professional DX 5W-30, and the Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30, and the straight DX 5W-30 is NOT suitable for the Paj Sport or diesel engines.

I had a long conversation with Castrol's Tech guy in Melbourne, and he advised the following Castrol products as being suitable for the PS:
                          Castrol Magnatec Professional MPDX 5W-30, and
                          Castrol Edge Professional OE-X 5W-30.
                          I believe the OE-X is a full synthetic, and considerably dearer than the MPDX.

Penrite also do a couple of C3 and C4 oils suitable for the DPF engines, in their ENVIRO+ range... eg: Penrite Enviro+ C-3 5W-30. These are also full synthetic, and Repco quoted me $215 to $240 for 20L drums.

I used Penrite in my previous diesel 4WD, but those oils are damned expensive. I understand the Castrol MPDX is far cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
                          glids

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Note: Castrol Magnatec Professional DX 5W-30 is not recommended for diesel engine applications.

yeps not the first time I have seen the wrong oil used

Castrol recommended retail list
                            CASTROL MAGNATEC DIESEL DX 5W-40 or
                            CASTROL EDGE 5W-30

Castrol recommended trade list
                            CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL OE-X 5W-30
                            CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL LONGLIFE III 5W-30
                            CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL LL04 5W-30
                            CASTROL MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL C2 5W-30
                            CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL C1 5W-30
                            CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL C4 5W-30

Last edited by littleriver; 21-03-16, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Loady1
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Queensland

I know this is an old thread but.... I was not happy with the black watery crap masquerading as OEM oil in my PS with 7500ks still to run before 1st of 3 free services. I bought a 10l tub of Penrite Enviro C4 5w30 (full synthetic) on ebay for $94 delivered.

The result is amazing. The engine is quieter both at idle and under acceleration and I am confident of better fuel consumption.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone not wait till 15000ks for your first oilchange.

Oil specs. http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
                              Last edited by Loady1; 02-03-17, 05:33 PM.
                              Late 2016 PS 5 seat. Bridgestone ATRs, Kings KCRS-23, KCFS-55, Bilsteins , PROVENT 200, Safari snorkel, bash plates.
                              Hayman Reese towbar. Tow pro elite.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X