PDA

View Full Version : Car Care after getting salt water on car from beach

Mad Mac
02-03-09, 12:27 AM
Hey All

I went for a bit of a drive along the beach today. Anways there is this bit of a rocky outcrop that you need to pass to keep going along the beach, or you can backtrack and go along the main road, but this is an extra 10 k's. Long story short i was with a convo with 4 other cars 3 cars had gone before me, and they made it ok, although they did get fairly wet (more than what I was really confortable with but i wasn't prepared 2 b the only person 2 not do it an inconvinence the group, but yes i could of left and gone home). Anyways when it was my turn, i didn't judge it right between the waves, and I got hit by a huge wave as i was traveling about 50k's, which pretty much splashed over the entire car, and made the engine cut out(luckily it spluttered its way past the outcrop then just stalled(something I want to talk about in another thread to c if that can be fixed).

I havn't ever driven my car through the salt water before, despite going on the beach fortnightly and having done that section heaps of time just only when the tide was out more.

I have cleaned my car like i usually do when I go on the beach, but should I do anything extra since it got completely covered in salt water.

I'm guessing there is nothing I can do, just preventing it from happening again. But should i maybe try and wash the car everyday this week to try and get all the salt out, or is that going to make it rust more, because i keep providing water to salt:dunno[1]:.

can anyone please suggest what they would do if it was there car? or am i just panicing 2 much and it will b fine?

Cheers
Shane

gjh1967
02-03-09, 03:47 PM
I would probably wash it till it hurts

chanoo
02-03-09, 04:20 PM
hi mac, after i stopped crying i also would give it a good going over, then another and another, then tomorrow the same. After that i would give myself a good clip behind the ears lol. good lesson learnt anyway.

marquis
02-03-09, 05:08 PM
With cold engine.
Give the whole vehicle a wash with (including underneath and engine bay) low pressure spray water.

cutting it
02-03-09, 06:39 PM
it really is just a wash down.. everywhere.. even put fresh water down near the wiper vents etc.... but i don't think you'll stop the rust... but then again i've had mine nearly five years and no sign of rust yet.

green monster
02-03-09, 07:06 PM
Funny you mention rust i have surface rust on some suspension bits and underneath the body!!
I have been painting on some rust stop and a bit of deadner/ protector can by can , nearly done the whole car,just need to get it on the hoist to do the middle bits that need masked off.
should be a big help i reckon ,as i spend a lot of time on the beach.

Mad Mac
02-03-09, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help fellars,

I will get off this forum and give the car another good wash.

And I shall not do it again.:curse5[1]:

Shane

JoshF
02-03-09, 08:18 PM
Not sure about your model but the NS has plastic guards in the wheel wells that fill with dirt, leaves and other crap so they need extra attention to ensure you get in behind them also.

marcthelegend
03-03-09, 05:02 PM
let me guess.. tims thickett beach?? those limestone rock thingos can be a real b***h to get around, i wait for five minutes to study the waves and when they move in / out lol i really need to move more south, havent yet found any beaches close by that i can drive on (living in the gosnells area).. gotta spend that little bit extra and drive to mandurah again sometime soon, havent been on the beach in months!!

Marc

Mad Mac
03-03-09, 11:35 PM
Thats the place, we went from tims thickett down to preston exit, then across to dwellingup for a few hill climbs.

It was a really good day for the beach, and being the long weekend, there was heaps of cars down there and people fishing etc.

Spent ages washing the car, so i've done all I can for her.

Shane

let me guess.. tims thickett beach?? those limestone rock thingos can be a real b***h to get around, i wait for five minutes to study the waves and when they move in / out lol i really need to move more south, havent yet found any beaches close by that i can drive on (living in the gosnells area).. gotta spend that little bit extra and drive to mandurah again sometime soon, havent been on the beach in months!!

Marc

marquis
04-03-09, 05:13 AM
Use Lanotech around areas that can rust.