• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WEBTM
    • Apr 2015
    • Newcastle NSW

Morton Island Suggestions

Hi All

Been cruising the forum for a long time after buying our NW, and a bloke at work telling me about it

With that, I was hoping that you guys would be able to give some advise on a few different places to stay on Morton Island

We are heading up EOM Oct-Nov for 7 nights

The group includes lots of kids, and the girls are chasing amenities

I have narrowed it down to, Ben Ewa, Blue Lagoon or Comboyuro Point

Oh, all trucks will have camper trailers behind them as well

Any thoughts or advice would be hugely appreciated

Cheers Webtm
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Hi Webtm

Welcome to the forum mate.

I haven't been to Morton yet but saw a video of it that came with the latest 4WD Action magazine. It looks like a great place to visit and if you haven't seen the video, it might give you some ideas.

I'm sure there are plenty of blokes on the forum who have been there and hopefully they will respond.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• WEBTM
      • Apr 2015
      • Newcastle NSW

Thank Geoff

Haha, we have already watched the last 2 4WD Action DVD Thats why we are now doing Morton instead of Frazer.

Unfortunately, no real info on the actual campsites.

I have googled around, but theres nothing recent, and the main things I am reading are that the Western side has more sandflies ??

Cheers Webtm

Comment

• Bennys
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by WEBTM View Post
        Hi All

Been cruising the forum for a long time after buying our NW, and a bloke at work telling me about it

With that, I was hoping that you guys would be able to give some advise on a few different places to stay on Morton Island

We are heading up EOM Oct-Nov for 7 nights

The group includes lots of kids, and the girls are chasing amenities

I have narrowed it down to, Ben Ewa, Blue Lagoon or Comboyuro Point

Oh, all trucks will have camper trailers behind them as well

Any thoughts or advice would be hugely appreciated

Cheers Webtm

Blue Lagoon is on the eastern side of the island so you'll have to take middle road, its normally easy enough to do, but can get chewed up and soft. I've never towed anything through, but people do.
        Ben Ewa is nice and close to the ferry and has a decent toilet/cold shower facilities. It is shared with the backpacker camp that's off to the left as you drive in.

Comboyuro would be my choice, I haven't camped there yet, but have sussed it out previously and will camp there next time.

Enjoy.

Ben
        MN GL-R, ARB Front and Rear Bars, Rocksliders, Canopy, uniden uhf, Kumho KL71s, Rear Locker, tigerz11 winch, dual batts.

North Brisbane

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

Originally posted by WEBTM View Post
          Thank Geoff

... the main things I am reading are that the Western side has more sandflies ??

Cheers Webtm
          Maybe it's so windy on the eastern side it blows them all away

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• WEBTM
            • Apr 2015
            • Newcastle NSW

Thanks Ben.

That's pretty well enough to rule out Ben Ewa

Geoff - they do say its the winds that keep the sand flies etc away

Cheers Trent
            Last edited by WEBTM; 26-04-15, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• conquistador
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2012
              • sth east queensland

Been to moreton a few times best spots are western beach, Yellow patch in the north, camping near blue lagoon on the east.....get the picture? You cant go wrong.

It will be dependant on what your up to and what the wind might be up to. Yellow patch is protected from southerlies.

A tip with the amenities. Sometimes you can be too close. The girls do get into a rhythm of hoping in the 4bee for the short trip to the ammenities. Setting up one of those flash toilet/shower ensuite can help alleviate "range anxiety"

Comment

• Brownie
                • Nov 2008
                • Brisbane

Ben Ewa is a great spot - camped there many times (cold shower/pit toilets), and also on the main beach (eastern side) near Blue lagoon. You can get sand flies anywhere on Moreton Island - never had a specific problem at Ben Ewa. There is a group campsite about 100 m from Ben Ewa, but its on the other side of a small sand dune - never had a problem with noise or any other issue from the 'backpacker' campsite. Nicest part of Ben Ewa is it is under tree cover and always cool and shady. Its not even a 5 minute drive to the wrecks, which is a great snorkeling location that's worth a swim every afternoon, the kids will love this. Tangalooma resort is only another 5 minutes away if your looking for a drink/meal.

Comboyuro Point is a nice spot and you can get real privacy there - there a number of campsites that are well spaced apart. Tree cover is not quite as good as Ben Ewa, but still much better than the eastern beaches. You need to know the tides as a high tide can cut you off i.e. you may not be able to get up and down the beach at the top of the high tide. You will have a bit more trouble towing your campers, but if you plan to arrive at about low tide, you should not have trouble.

Campsites on the eastern side don't have much protection from wind or sun - ok in the winter months but in a hot Qld summer, you need to get out of the sun. Close access to Blue lagoon is a real plus - its a brilliant fresh water swimming spot where it is lovely to float away a lazy afternoon. Fishing is generally better on the eastern beaches; it is possible to camp up in the dunes and walk down and fish your own gutter. Middle Road can get very rutted and sometimes difficult, but its has a firm base and with low tyre pressure you will be able to drag the trailers through, but it will be tougher than staying on the western side. Access off the main beach into some of the campsites will be through soft powdery sand, which could be a challenge to drag a trailer through.

If its your first visit to Moreton Island, Ben Ewa would be a good choice. Its easy to get to - even with a trailer, centrally located, near the Wrecks and Tangalooma resort with showers/toilets. Use this trip as a scouting trip, as you will be back - 7 nights is never going to be enough, and maybe tackle the eastern beach campsites on your next trip once you have had a chance to check them out.
                Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• WEBTM
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Newcastle NSW

Thanks Gents.

Great info

I will do some investigations on the tides.

Have any of you every seen anyone manage to get a jayco swan size camper up there? One of our group has one, and is a bit concerned

Comment

• conquistador
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • sth east queensland

On a low tide you could tow a b double.

Towed a 1200kg camper across to blue lagoon campsite. All good reduce your pressures on the barge (including trailer). The tricky bit can be 2 feet off to the barge and if you going via bulwer the access of the western beach can be super soft if its seen sun and been chopped up by struggle streeters.

One more tip, keep a distance back when running in convoy. If you follow too close any problems encountered by the bloke in front gets doubled for you.

Comment

• WEBTM
                      • Apr 2015
                      • Newcastle NSW

Thanks conquistador. I will let him know to stop stressing

Comment

• WEBTM
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Newcastle NSW

Thanks all for your help

We decided on Comboyuro Point

All we need now is good weather

Cheers Trent

Comment

• DJS75
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Gold Coast

We've been going to Moreton for 30+ years. We spend 1 week camping on the Eastern Beach and then spend the last week at Tangalooma. Keeps the wife happy that way and 2 weeks on the island is amazing :cool

Comment

• mattbris
                            • May 2015
                            • Bris

Spent a week over last fornight
                            Middle road was hard but had deep ruts

Camp site are normal fist in fist served so and get busy around your time
                            But
                            Lots of place to stay and enjoy

Comment

• mattbris
                              • May 2015
                              • Bris

Got to love auto correct

First in first served not fist

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...