Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Which engine protection/longevity mods first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insect_eater
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Canberra

Hi all,

I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of my NX in late May, apparently one of the last manuals to be delivered to Australia (I'm told that the dealer code has been deleted, and manuals can't be ordered). It will be the family tourer and explorer and I plan to keep it for 10 years or more.

I'm dreaming of the normal list of bushskinz, winchbar, suspension lift, snorkel/breathers, LRA fuel tank, rhino platform, and dual battery. I've already bought 5 second hand genuine steel wheels (17s) that I hope will fit (the soccer mum thread suggest they will), to which I'll fit some A/Ts.

As it will be a keeper, I'm keen to give the engine as much chance of longevity as possible, but I'm confused as to which mod first and which combination gives best protective value .

In order of priority for engine protection/lonegity does the following make sense? What am I missing?

Fuel filter/water trap (eg. dobinsons/WW/fuelmaster)
    SPV EGR controller (I'm assuming this negates the need for a blanking plate
    Scanguage (no direct benefit, but allows early problem identification)
    oil catch can (eg. provent)
    turbo timer (is this even needed on a Paj?)

I've read many threads on each of these - but couldn't find discussions that compared their relative benefits or identified which first.

Any suggestions relating to extra servicing that would really make a difference to longevity would also be appreciated

Simon
    Newbie - so apologies if covering old ground
    NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
    Hi all,

I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of my NX in late May, apparently one of the last manuals to be delivered to Australia (I'm told that the dealer code has been deleted, and manuals can't be ordered). It will be the family tourer and explorer and I plan to keep it for 10 years or more.

I'm dreaming of the normal list of bushskinz, winchbar, suspension lift, snorkel/breathers, LRA fuel tank, rhino platform, and dual battery. I've already bought 5 second hand genuine steel wheels (17s) that I hope will fit (the soccer mum thread suggest they will), to which I'll fit some A/Ts.

As it will be a keeper, I'm keen to give the engine as much chance of longevity as possible, but I'm confused as to which mod first and which combination gives best protective value .

In order of priority for engine protection/lonegity does the following make sense? What am I missing?

Fuel filter/water trap (eg. dobinsons/WW/fuelmaster)
    SPV EGR controller (I'm assuming this negates the need for a blanking plate
    Scanguage (no direct benefit, but allows early problem identification)
    oil catch can (eg. provent)
    turbo timer (is this even needed on a Paj?)

I've read many threads on each of these - but couldn't find discussions that compared their relative benefits or identified which first.

Any suggestions relating to extra servicing that would really make a difference to longevity would also be appreciated

Simon
    Newbie - so apologies if covering old ground
    You have got them covered mate. I wouldn,t waste my money on a turbo timer. I,ve lived in the top end for over 20 years and all my turbo cars have never had a timer. Good oil takes care of the heat. If it is a particularly hot highway run, before turning motor off..let idle for 30 seconds. This wouldn't occur very often.

I would use the MM oils as your vehicle is under warranty and they use full synthetic anyway.

Scan gauge or ultragauge..ultragauge doesn't show your auto transmission temp BUT I bout an engine watchdog that has 2 temp sensors..1 for engine block and 1 for the auto.

I have the dobinson 3 micron that I installed as the secondary unit. Also have installed the provent catch can. Have aux battery mounted in rear 3rd row seat tub as I wouldn't use the 3rd row anyway.

Make sure you take the car back at 1500 klms for an inspection at the MM dealer you purchased from.

cheers
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• insect_eater
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Canberra

Thanks Dicko - good to have the need for the T-timer clarified.

Is it possible to fit an aux battery and a provent and extra filter under the bonnet, or do I have to do as you have and put the battery elsewhere?

Simon
      NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

1. EGR mod
        2 Regular oil and filter changes. Consider 7.5k- 10k intervals and good quality oil.
        3 Second fuel filter - minimum 3 micron 95% efficiency eg Donaldson
        4. Jury is still out on oil catch can if EGR plate or electronic block is filtted
        5. Tappet adjustment a must at 30k - by the book during capped price servicing and perhaps max 60k intervals thereafter

Hill
        Last edited by Hill; 11-04-15, 11:43 AM.
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hill View Post

1. EGR mod
          2 Regular oil and filter changes. Consider 7.5k- 10k intervals and good quality oil.
          3 Second fuel filter - minimum 3 micron 95% efficiency eg Donaldson
          4. Jury is still out on oil catch can if EGR plate or electronic block is filtted
          5. Tappet adjustment a must at 30k - by the book during capped price servicing and perhaps max 60k intervals thereafter

Hill
          The jury may be out on the provent but even after 4000 klms I had a filter full of clean oil that would have made its way to the inlet manifold...Jury has ruled for me...guilty of a good thing..
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

The jury may be out on the provent but even after 4000 klms I had a filter full of clean oil that would have made its way to the inlet manifold...Jury has ruled for me...guilty of a good thing..

HI Dicko,

My comments were related to a brand new vehicle fitted with EGR block.

Out of interest how many km has your Pajero done.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Mine has just clocked over 4500. 3 months old. Oil is as new. I reckon about a teaspoon of oil was in filter. Had provent on since new. Had new suspension put on last week by a mate of mine who is a marine/diesel mechanic. Very smart cookie actually. He did comment that although not necessary, the pro vent will minimise oil getting into intake. I also have the SPV plug and play module. I just reckon that at around $230 it cant hurt and will help some.
              cheers

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                And into the combustion chamber where it would have been burnt.
                If you have the egr blocked an oil catch can is a waste of money IMO.
                Just something else to look after.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• NFT5
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Canberra

1. Fuel filter. 2 µm mounted before the factory one.
                  2. SPV EGR mod.

Nothing else is necessary. SPV mod means no exhaust in inlet system so a little oil is no problem.

Later, when you crave more power, a Dominator 3 chip from SPV with EGT gauge and Dawes valve to control boost.
                  Chris

Comment

• insect_eater
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Canberra

Thanks Guys - I acknowledge that this is a question about priority and that everyone has their own threshold about what is worth doing. I appreciate all the comments and explanations of why you think each mod is worthwhile or not! Simon

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

I would use the MM oils as your vehicle is under warranty and they use full synthetic anyway.

cheers
                      PLEASE NOTE:

NOT ALL MM DEALERS USE FULL SYNTHETIC OIL

My local MM dealer uses Valvoline Semi Synthetic.

I would most certainly be using full synthetic.

Steve
                      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                        PLEASE NOTE:

NOT ALL MM DEALERS USE FULL SYNTHETIC OIL

My local MM dealer uses Valvoline Semi Synthetic.

I would most certainly be using full synthetic.

Steve
                        No worries Ticky. My advice is that whilst you have a reasonably new vehicle under warranty I,d use the original MM oil. There can be no nasty surprises if anything goes pear shaped. Don't forget hundreds of thousands of heavy machinery are simply using shell rimula x as their oil of choice..
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Goodsy
                          Who ya gunna call....
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Hervey Bay

No worries Ticky. My advice is that whilst you have a reasonably new vehicle under warranty I,d use the original MM oil. There can be no nasty surprises if anything goes pear shaped. Don't forget hundreds of thousands of heavy machinery are simply using shell rimula x as their oil of choice..
                          Rubbish.

If the oil meets the specs required by MM use it. You can bring your own oil to
                          a warrenty service and get them to use it.
                          It will not effect your warrenty at all.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• MatthewP
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • North of Brisbane

On the NW Pajero a solid egr blanking plate can be used and it wont cause any check engine light issues.
                            So no egr resistor mod is needed.

As far as im aware, no one has tried the blanking plate on the NX and let us know if it doesn't cause any codes.

For my money I would be trying the blank plate first and see what happens.

It may free up some money to go towards other mods like the fuel filter.

The Torque android app is a far cheaper alternative to a Scangauge.
                            Any gauge a scangauge can read the torque app can too.

The Torque interface is far superior to the scangauge in my opinion.

I had a phone holder and incar charger set up for my old phone to run torque in my old ute.

When I updated my phone, my old phone lived in the ute primarily to run torque.
                            I took it out of the holder and put it in the glove box if I was parking somewhere I thought might be a bit dodgy.

There is a similar app for iphones but I dont know what its called.

As someone else has said, no need for a turbo timer on oil and water cooled turbos, just take it easy for the last couple of kms' before you get home or just sit and let it idle while you finish listening to a song on the radio when you pull up, before shutting the engine down, if you have been driving hard.

Matt
                            Last edited by MatthewP; 12-04-15, 05:23 AM.
                            05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• vladguan
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Adelaide

Matt, what else is needed for the android Torque app to work? Also, I plan to get the blanking plate to try on my NX. Anyone in Adelaide care to lend a hand to help me install it? I plan to do it after the school holidays.
                              Please call me Vlad.
                              -----------------------
                              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X