• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smccask
    • May 2008
    • Perth

Annoying Power Windows Fix

This has probably been done many times before, but i thought i would post a how-to on allowing the power windows in an NH to work with the ignition off. I'm not sure if the later or earlier pajs are the same, but it is infuriating when you need the keys to adjust the elec windows positions.

anyway, the first thing to do is to get under your driver's side dash, and remove the front plastic cover that faces downwards and covers the speaker and both sides under the steering column. You will find a panel with about four relays on it. The four pin relay shown in the pic is the power window relay, remove this and make up a short link wire with male spade terminals either end. Short out the socket pins as shown in the image - they are the top two pins, and correspond with the darker copper coloured pins on the relay.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smccask; 04-01-09, 09:31 PM.
    - Simon
    NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
    RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
  • smccask
    • May 2008
    • Perth

After doing the above, you will now be able to use the power windows whenever you like, regardless of the ignition key position. Most people may be happy with doing only that much, however now the LED circuit for the child lockout on the power window controller is drawing 24mA all the time, LED on or off. If you are not concerned about that tiny current draw then you have finished, otherwise read on...

The eliminate the LED quiescent current, you need to remove the driver's power window controller from the door. See attached pics. Remove the controller from the front edge only, and you will need to pry it up a bit and then force it backwards and then out.
    Attached Files
    - Simon

Comment

• smccask
      • May 2008
      • Perth

Now that you have the controller out, get a small screwdriver and pry off the back cover in four places by flexing the sidewalls out and simultaneously unclipping the back cover as you go.
      Attached Files
      - Simon

Comment

• smccask
        • May 2008
        • Perth

Now you can see the bottom of the circuit board. Most of this circuitry is for the one-touch functionality of the driver's window, and the rest enables the child lockout on the windows.

Locate the two solder pads shown in the attached image and scribe away the copper track between the two pads - the narrow edge of a small screwdriver will do. Bear in mind that if you wanted to it would be simple to reverse this operation by simply soldering a bridge across the gap you have made.
        Attached Files
        - Simon

Comment

• smccask
          • May 2008
          • Perth

By gouging out the circuit board track you have now disabled the indicator LED that lies in the child lockout button. The lockout will still operate as before, however you will not get the LED lit when it is locked - a small price to pay - but the benefit is that the power window circuit will draw zero current from your battery when idle now.

that's the mod complete.
          - Simon

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Or you can just run a wire in the fuse box from power windows to the horn fuse. As they are next to each other it is one of the easier mods I have done on the Pajero and Challenger for power to windows when ignition is off.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• smccask
              • May 2008
              • Perth

true, but if you are talking about the cabin fuse panel, then you will be holding the power window relay in all the time, which would result in a few hundred milliamps or so of drain on your battery. That cabin fuse is not the actual fuse for the power window motors, that fuse is number 10 in the engine bay. Most may not worry, but I'm pretty finicky about parasitic battery drains .. always trying to get the most out of my batts for the fridge in fact i am pretty bloody stingey for wanting to get rid of the 24mA led current ! lol.
              - Simon

Comment

• garycromp
                • Mar 2010
                • Adelaide

I have just finished doing this conversion, and it was very easy to do with the help of this info,so I thany you for you help and advice, Cheers Gary
                2013 my14 challenger. Titanium 5speed manual. Cooper AT3's. mitsi nudge bar, lightforce blitz spotlights,TJM snorkel,awning. Roof bars

Comment

• Matatak
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Perth

Thanks for the info. Just did the same in my car. But the back of my circuit board looks a little different to yours so i havent done anything in that respect. My LED also never worked beforehand.

and just took a pic for anyone wondering about doing it.

Last edited by Matatak; 31-03-10, 04:01 PM.
                  05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• Shogun 2000
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Dodges Ferry, Hobart, Tassie

Originally posted by Matatak View Post
                    Thanks for the info. Just did the same in my car. But the back of my circuit board looks a little different to yours so i havent done anything in that respect. My LED also never worked beforehand.

and just took a pic for anyone wondering about doing it.

just did mine, works a treat, now i wont have to put up with the kids fighting about the windows not working. thanx people.
                    2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

• m1s3ry
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Kalorama, VIC.

Good work, guess what i'll be doing this afternoon?
                      Steele Perkins (#1263)
                      NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• Shogun 2000
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by smccask View Post
                        Now you can see the bottom of the circuit board. Most of this circuitry is for the one-touch functionality of the driver's window, and the rest enables the child lockout on the windows.

Locate the two solder pads shown in the attached image and scribe away the copper track between the two pads - the narrow edge of a small screwdriver will do. Bear in mind that if you wanted to it would be simple to reverse this operation by simply soldering a bridge across the gap you have made.
                        Hi smccask, trying to do my door controls but it is different to yours, i have included a pic for reference, hope you can point out where i have to scribe away. thanx

Another thing i would like to do is, you know how the drivers window goes down automatically when you press the button down hard, can this be done to the other 3 windows and can it be done so they go up as well with 1 flick of the switch?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Shogun 2000; 02-05-10, 04:24 PM.
                        2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

• NL_ASHIE
                          • May 2009

Hey guys
                          thanks for the info!! did this to the paj this morning took maybe 10 min and job done!!
                          so glad to fix that up!!!!!
                          Cheers Ashie

Comment

• Edz
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Canberra, Australia

all windows like drivers

Originally posted by brekyl View Post
                            Another thing i would like to do is, you know how the drivers window goes down automatically when you press the button down hard, can this be done to the other 3 windows and can it be done so they go up as well with 1 flick of the switch?
                            Don't think you can, I think it's part of the wiring through to the control box, the hold function is built in the circuitry - could be wrong as a Paj may be different to a commondore?

Comment

• Shogun 2000
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by smccask View Post
                              true, but if you are talking about the cabin fuse panel, then you will be holding the power window relay in all the time, which would result in a few hundred milliamps or so of drain on your battery. That cabin fuse is not the actual fuse for the power window motors, that fuse is number 10 in the engine bay. Most may not worry, but I'm pretty finicky about parasitic battery drains .. always trying to get the most out of my batts for the fridge in fact i am pretty bloody stingey for wanting to get rid of the 24mA led current ! lol.
                              hi mate, I know this was a while a go but can you post a pic of this number 10 relay/fuse coz the pic im looking at says number 10 is air conditioner condenser fan.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X