• Show
Clear All
  • Ranger J
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Moving from a Gen2 to a Gen3/4 - Need Opinions

Hi All,

With some small rust patches raising its ugly head and becoming uncomfortable for long trips, I've been having evil thoughts of trading the trusty NK for a later model.

It's going to take a bit of convincing to sell it (as I have already started to kit it out for touring duties), but a short drive in Wrex's NS was enough to kick it off.

I'm thinking about stepping up to a 3.2DiD NP or NS Paj.

I would particularly like to hear from those owners who have moved up from a Gen2 Pajero.

What do you like/dislike about the later model?
    How different are they offroad?
    Which NP models had the traction control?

Just throw your general thoughts this way - I'd be happy to hear them

Cheers,
    Ranger J.
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.
  • likatiger
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • WAMBERAL NSW

G'day Renager J,

I had series 2 NH for a lot of years and kitted out for touring and some serious 4 whlg, it was an auto petrol.

Upgraded to NP auto diesel, 12th month 2003, MY04 model. In the 2003s its important to get the MY04 as it came out with more goodies than the MY03, like traction and stability control.

As to comparison with the NH I had, just a bigger more comfortable vehicle with more nice features and the independent suspension makes it better on road.

Had the NP in the Simpson and some very tuff tracks in Vic High Country and it performed very well off road.
    The DiD is a little noisy and I miss the V6 purr, but the diesel is great for touring and offroading, the tip-tronic is excellent offroad and the vehicle is a pleasure to drive.

Cheers
    Larry
    NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• RodMac
      • Aug 2008
      • Sunshine Coast Qld

I have currently one of each. (don't ask, it just happened) 93' NH 2.8 T/d, mine, and 06' NP VRX 3.2DiD, hers, both manuals. guess which one wife drives.......85k in 2 years.... the power and economy of the 3.2 makes the NP that much easier to drive plus with all the goodies inside and underneath is a far better vehicle. For trips the NP is brilliant while the NH I find is great for my running around but can be tiresome on a trip, while it sits at 100k/mh that is sort of the end of it, while the NP will sit well above that and keep going you are not carefull ! the 3.2 economy is a consistent 8.5 l/100 while I get 11.5l/100 from the 2.8. Really not that hard a decision to make. Go on you know you want to....
      Rod Mac in Sunny Qld.

Comment

• Errol
        • Nov 2007
        • Brisbane

We have found in a lot of cases the later ones are bitter in deep ruts as the diffs are much higher. I saw a standard NM climb a hill that stopped a GU Patrol which had 2 diff locks and 35 inch tyres. The only reason was that the Patrol sat on its diffs.
        Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

• Ranger J
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

So all good news so far.

Errol just touched on my next question - which is how do they handle in the rough stuff - like underbody clearance?
          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• RalphEdward
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
            So all good news so far.

Errol just touched on my next question - which is how do they handle in the rough stuff - like underbody clearance?
            Ranger

Although I haven't owned a series 2 model,(I've had an NP for 115,000ks and now have an NS) I have travelled a long distance in one. The series 3/4 are far superior in just about all aspects (probably all aspects).

I did some trips in the VIC high country in the NP and the clearance issue is fantastic. Mine had no lift (stock standard suspension) and made it through some hairy stuff where I had to help my companions dig their Rangies and Pootrols out due to being stuck on their diffs (wet weather, having to use the ruts on clay based tracks etc). I would recommend some after market underbody guards thou'.

Hope this helps
            Black 25th anniversary DiD Auto (SWMBO's choice) HD towbar & lift,tinted widows, chrome talon protectors, awaiting bluetooth fittment & permission to get it dirty from SWMBO (got it dirty, don't like the tyres much).

Comment

• Mad Mac
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Australia

very evil thoughts indeed.

As an accountant I would suggest that you keep your current vehicle until it not longer goes or the wheels fall off, and invest what extra money you would have spent on purchasing the new vehicle in shares or other liquid assets.

Unless of coarse you can sell your car for more than you bought it for.

Also whats wif 'becoming uncomfortable on long trips', sounds a bit girly to me, and you know its bad if i'm making those comments.

I'm only saying this because I dont want your car to be way better than mine, and you know with traction control that you can pretty much go anywhere u want to.

Shane

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

I went from an NH petrol, manual, to my current NM auto. The two are chalk and cheese. The NH was no slouch but the NM runs rings around it in every area.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dolphin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008

yes , as mrbitchi said.
                  NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• 1993 NJ LWB
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007

Not sure about on road comfort. I hear from everywhere the 3.2 is very loud. However if you mean your NK is uncomfortable in terms of lack of power, i see what your getting at

Offroad with the extra money you are gunna need to upgrade you could twin lock your paj and put a winch bar on, plus being it has a chassis it can better take underbody hits.. offroad NO COMPARISON!

Im not saying the gen 3s and 4s are not good off road. All im saying is if you put the money you will need to upgrade into more aftermarket bits for your current car you would have 1 hell of a tough tourer! im thinking about 10 to 20 g to upgrade thats alot of mods! Oh and 1 such mod you could do to the NK is D-gas it, that should solve that sluggish feel!

My 2 cents
                    Last edited by 1993 NJ LWB; 27-12-08, 12:28 PM.
                    1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X