• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack n rory
    • Oct 2007
    • Wyndham Vale

Digital SLR

I am thinking about buying a new digital SLR camera and know next to nothing about them. Does anybody have any advice for me. Brands, prices, where to buy. That sort of thing. I am technically minded so do not worry about confusing me. There must be some budding or professional photographers out there who can help me out. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    89 NF 3L V6.
    00 NM 3.5L V6. Milford cargo barrier, Maxxis 771 A/T's, GME TX 3500, 40mm Lovell's lift....... getting there!!
  • Nigel
    • Oct 2008

Nikon and Canon are the main guns in the DSLR range. I say that because while there are may companies who offer DSLRs its more often than not the lenses that are more important. Nikon and Canon have a huge range of lenses and (as a bonus for Canon users) it is posible to mount almost any lens on the EOS body if you use a lense mount adapter which cost bugger all.

Really the best advice I can give you is pop into a camera shop, and have a look / feel of which one fits / suits you. I shoot with a Canon, I like the choices of lenses I have as well as the fact that I can mount my old screw mount (M42) lenses. They have EOS DSLRs from about $1000 to $8000, so there should be something in the range for you. Similar pricing / products are avaliable from Nikon as well.

In terms of a detailed review. You wount really get a better one that at http://www.dpreview.com/ Have a look there. More often that not they will compair similar cameras so you can see exctly which camera is best for you.

Comment

• JoshF
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Brisbane

I had been using Canon SLR's (T50, T70, EOS 50) for a long time prior going digital. My advice is go for the lower range of DSLR to start with if you don't have an SLR background. I now have a Canon 400d.

In that way I can learn to use the digital camera and then decide based on my needs whether I want to upgrade to a 5d or 40d, which have different capabilities at the higher end of the range.

I haven't looked at the 1000d so not sure what it is like as the new entry level canon.

My reason for sticking with the Canon range was the continued use of my EOS series lenses therefore I only needed the new body. I will consider newer lenses also in time

Hope that helps

Josh
      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Avanner
        • Jul 2007

Jack n rory??..not sure why this is on a Pajero site, but anyway?.
        I did a course on my DSLR & the first thing the instructor said was: What?s the only significant reason to have a DSLR?.......His answer: Interchangeable lens!!! I have a range of cameras & surprisingly my Canon HV20 HD camcorder takes as good a still as any of my other units. ( & camcorder wise, it?s still the one to beat for the price. )
        Guess it depends how serious you are about photography.

Comment

• Jaster
          • Apr 2008
          • Wollongong, NSW

Also, check to see how intuitive you find the controls on the camera's your looking at, no point having the most expensive camera if it's a to use.

Also, get the better lens with the lower spec body rather than the other way around.

My personal choice is the Canon, but the whole Canon/Nikon debate is like Ford/Holden, League/Union etc, it all comes down to personal preference.

Cheers.
          Current: Cool Silver '11 NT RX Auto
          Retired: Green '02 NM Exceed Manual

Comment

• Smocky
            • Jun 2008

Hi Jack,

Most of this has been covered well already above so I'll just add a little bit.

DPReview is a great place to look if you are technically minded. Awesome resource. Beware though that they are harsh judged so read the reviews and get out of it what you want. It's like Choice do reviews and rate something low because it is technically the best but has a poor manual. When was the last time YOU read a manual????

I shoot with Canon as well, but you won't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. I'd highly recommend the Canon 450D as it is great value and will allow you to experiment a bit if you get interested in photography.

Also, SLR's are about WAY more than interchangeable lenses, but you have to want to be interested in photography. The shots I get from my Canon SLR are enormously better than the Canon PS5IS (6MP, 10x zoom) or any other compact I have seen. You just can't compare the quality of glass and amount of light they let through.

A good place to buy them from is www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au. They have a couple of stores to look at the stuff and I have found their prices to be extremely competitive.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Cheers,

Jason.
            Jason., Sydney. 2008 DiD Exceed. Silver/Dakar, diff lock, sunroof, towbar, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, tinted, OME 2" lift, GME 3440 UHF, Stebel air horn, 180XP Roo Lites and a RalliArt jacket

Comment

• mrbitchi
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Brisbane

Camera Reviews ;-))

Best source of camera info on the net..

Also have a look at This site for basic info on digital photography.
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

dpreview is a great site for information and a very good starting place to get such info and make comparisons.

i used to shoot with a little olympus compact and ive taken photos that far surpass some from DSLRs because the person behind the camera had no clue and just pointed and clicked.
                i know use an EOS 350D and love it to pieces. Its very entry level from a few years ago, its done over 12,000 shots and still going strong. Most important thing is the glass up front, that is the investment.

if you are keen on getting a little more involved in your photography than just point n shoot, get yourself a DSLR, even just the entry level stuff that comes with a couple of lenses and save up for some good replacement glass once youve got your head around the camera. the 400D or whatever Canon are up to now is a very good starting point.

The Olympus DSLRs are quite good too, Nikon are good. Those are who i narrowed it down to. Canon in my view have the best range of lenses with the best quality (which i cant afford!).

Whatever you decide to get, take the time to really learn the equipment and just practice a lot and find what works for you, then you'll get some great photos.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• marquis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Newcastle

Canon 40D or Pentax 20D

Pentax is sealed with the right lens.

I have the K10D and the abuse it as I travelled - I had no dust issues (using the standard lens) but the standard lens is now stuffed.

If Canon (good camera) make sure you get the IS lenses

Canon 40D with IS lens is better than the pentax but it depends what you are doing with it.

I puchased the pentax due to the sealing (had it in the rain/beach etc)
                  --
                  Marquis
                  SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• peterdeg
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • NW Sydney

Originally posted by Smocky View Post
                    A good place to buy them from is www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au. They have a couple of stores to look at the stuff and I have found their prices to be extremely competitive.
                    Have bought from them several times. Very happy with them.
                    Peter
                    2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• jack n rory
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Wyndham Vale

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I have looked at dpreview and have decided to go for a Canon Eos 1000d with twin lense kit.
                      89 NF 3L V6.
                      00 NM 3.5L V6. Milford cargo barrier, Maxxis 771 A/T's, GME TX 3500, 40mm Lovell's lift....... getting there!!

Comment

• aldavnic
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Pakenham

Nikon D80

I have a nikon D 80 and love it!
                        Easy to use ,nice feel and interchangeable lenses with nearly anything that nikon has built for the last thirty years. You wont have all the auto features on an older lens of course but you can still shoot manual mode.Handy.
                        Try Ken Rockwell.com for tips and reviews on most nikon dslrs and write ups on how to best set up your cameras in built features to get the best out of it. I have many years of SLR photography, but could not have worked out all the intricicies available beyond std auto shoot modes. good luck !
                        NM V6,Exceed BFG MTs ,Injected Gas, Proficency course,GME TX3100 UHF , 2 inch lift, Pace Maker Headers ,Dobinsons.Navigation Course (still lost) Rola Roof Racks, Proficency Plus course.

Comment

• CeeJay
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • Samford, QLD

Originally posted by jack n rory View Post
                          Thanks for everyone's help on this. I have looked at dpreview and have decided to go for a Canon Eos 1000d with twin lense kit.
                          One more thing - if you are going for your first DSLR, it's well worthwhile going to a few evening classes at the local tech college to learn how to get the best out of it, perhaps also beginners photo shop. Most people only use 10% of what their camera can do - once you learn about white balance, metering, colour saturation etc your pictures will come on leaps and bounds. My wife did an 8 week evening course and her photography has improved 200% since she completed it.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Avanner
                            • Jul 2007

I second exactly what CeeJay has stated above!!! Even if you diligently study the manual that comes with the camera (and who does?), you will miss out on the potential of your DSLR. And the evening courses available are quite enjoyable.
                            I think a lot of owners might as well just have an automatic digital non SLR. CeeJay?.your 10% stated is right-on.

Comment

• Alex86
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Here and there

Originally posted by marquis View Post

If Canon (good camera) make sure you get the IS lenses
                              Not entirely, but depends on what you are shooting.
                              Image Stabilisation generally comes on longer zoom lenses because as you zoom in more, any shake etc is 'magnified'. IS is rarer on shorter focal length lenses.
                              Handy for motion, lower light obviously.

Id say get any of the L series lenses from Canon first as a preference over image stabilisation, the glass is much higher in quality- but the combination of L & IS, oooh yeah!
                              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X