• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markpeh
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Lake Clarendon QLD

Amarok

Anyone have any first hand info or opinion on the amarok? Thinking of trading into one.
    NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

Opinion only:

I have looked at one, nice enough and not too bad comfort wise. Haven't driven one so I can't comment on the ride and power etc.

The 2.0 Biturbo has me a little concerned longevity wise, but if you go new and get rid of it before the warranty runs out that won't be a problem (for you at least) VW aren't having the best of luck with DSG boxes, so go the manual, one less hassle.

Would I entertain buying one? Nope, the BT-50 has more space, a better driving position, and conventional 6 spd auto, a bigger engine with more power and torque, a better towing capacity and is roughly the same money.

Again, just my opinion.
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by markpeh View Post
      Anyone have any first hand info or opinion on the amarok? Thinking of trading into one.
      Pleased you didn't say you were trading UP !!

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Boo Boo
        • Aug 2012
        • Kilsyth

Don't think the Amarok has the DSG it has a normal auto trans the dsg was not heavy duty enough
        2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• Goodsy
          Who ya gunna call....
          • Dec 2010
          • Hervey Bay

Me no but owners have said Europe's best effort to copy the Hilux and it falls well short.
          BT-50's are huge. What's wrong with a Triton??
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• JoshF
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Brisbane

send Kemsley a PM, he has one
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Scouter1
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Sydney NSW

One of my colleagues has had a manual TDI dual cab for 18 months which is fully kitted up - lifted suspension canopy drawers snorkel bullbar winch BFGs etc. Huge rear tray, you could pack a heap of gear in there compared to the Paj!

It seems a very capable vehicle, I have been in it on two weekends trips with no dramas following Pajeros Prados & Patrols on some moderate to rough tracks. I believe it comes well equipped in regards to off road bits, locking diffs bashplates etc. They did a Fraser Island trip earlier this year with a stack of gear with no issues. Fairly economical, but you can hear the engine/turbos working hard to get it moving off the mark.

So far he hasn't had any significant mechanical problems, just some minor niggles (leaking headlight). I have noticed a number of negative comments on forums & reviews etc.
              Last edited by Scouter1; 10-07-13, 10:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
              2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Bundyk
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2012
                • North Nowra

Originally posted by Boo Boo View Post
                Don't think the Amarok has the DSG it has a normal auto trans the dsg was not heavy duty enough
                So it would seem. I stand corrected.
                Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Ádámka
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2013
                  • VIC, 3160

they are crap VWs like all others recently. You pay for a German car but they are made in South America to a very low standard. There are big issues with rusproofing, some of them rust everywhere! Have a look at my link, just scroll it down for the pictures! http://www.rocket-crawinkel.com/rostvorsorge/

Comment

• aceshooter55
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Endeavour Hills

I agree that they do have some rust issues, a friend of mine has one, the rear tailgate started to rust after about three months, it was replaced under warranty. You would think that if this is a common problem then it would be addressed sooner rather than later. Servicing and part costs are another thing to take into consideration. I was expecting the diesel motor to be quieter than it was.

Comment

• markpeh
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Lake Clarendon QLD

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                      Me no but owners have said Europe's best effort to copy the Hilux and it falls well short.
                      BT-50's are huge. What's wrong with a Triton??
                      Was set to go the SR5 but they dont have a centre rear child point as is lap belt only, and they have very few features for the dollars as per every toyota. Part of the reason for change is 3 kids seats across the back, and wanting the extra space a dual cab has (with canopy).
                      Really dont like the ranger, leg room is a problem for me so didnt even look at the bt-50. Probably should look at the triton, but wanted something quieter than what mitisbishi offer.
                      Not sure in what areas the Amarok falls well short of the Hilux tho. The VW certainly has better features and space for passengers. (it is wider internally than the paj and hilux by 10cm and the ranger by about 5cm.
                      NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• markpeh
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Lake Clarendon QLD

[QUOTE=Bundyk;303402]Opinion only:

The 2.0 Biturbo has me a little concerned longevity wise, but if you go new and get rid of it before the warranty runs out that won't be a problem (for you at least) VW aren't having the best of luck with DSG boxes, so go the manual, one less hassle.

This would be my concern as well. I would get the manual.
                        But driving one, the power was good it was quiet and comfortable. Seat is better than our Paj and in the paj my knee is hard into the door, the VW has a better position for driving for me.
                        And it would be a lease vehicle for 3 years...
                        NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• TristanNL
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2013
                          • Horsham

My employer has one:

Ride is good, quiet and comfortable inside. Big difference from a triton.
                          Good on fuel.

Worst bits:
                          The high beams are terrible.
                          The manual is a bit of a chore.
                          Appears to be chewing tyres fairly quickly - time will tell.
                          2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

• Goodsy
                            Who ya gunna call....
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Hervey Bay

I just wouldn't. But that's me. I'm not a ford v holdern guy. I've owned a Lada!
                            From what I've read it's a 2.0L working hard, build quality is not up to the price tag.
                            I would buy a Navara before one. But that's me.
                            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Challenger2.5
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Townsville

Hi Mark,
                              Work on a underground mine site in western Queensland. Contractors purchased one about 18 months ago and that has been the one and only. Recently heap of Ford Rangers turned up on site but no more Amaroks. Vehicle treated with kid gloves compared to the Hi luxs .May be OK for family/recreational use but if it is a tow/workhorse you are looking for I would look elsewhere. BHP now purchasing Rangers as Hi lux do not meet ANCAP 5 star safety rating which is now a requirement for all BHP mine sites.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X